Maintainers Weekly Chat October 28 - November 3

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • It's watch the World Series time around here. We watched last night's win by the Red Sox without using living room snacks. Kinda neat. My notion of baseball is that the host is supposed to serve a conveyor belt of food right till the last out of the ninth inning.

Today's the day to call the telephone repair guy to come check out our phones. We must have eight phones in the house, including ubiquitous cordless, yet none received the call announcing when I'm to pick up the new Ford Plug-in from the raffle I entered over a week ago. Shouldn't take that long to draw one ticket from a hat. Funny that the campaigns touting all the politicians running for office in the November election keep getting through.
  • LOL about the car Bill.

Our weekend was pretty much a disaster. We barely slept and all four of us cried a lot (well, okay, DH not as much, but still). Calling the pediatrician again today -- on Friday they gave us some suggestions and said if things didn't get better over the weekend to make an appointment Monday, so now I'm counting the minutes until their office opens. I'm 99% sure that the big problem is reflux, and for whatever reason zantac isn't working for them anymore. They seem so uncomfortable with feedings, especially in the afternoon. They'll be hungry but cry as soon as you try to feed them.

In any case I think they also had a growth spurt because for a couple nights we had to feed them every couple hours all night long, instead of just 1-2x/night. Last night was better, only two feedings and two additional wakings. I'm trying a dairy-free diet to see if it helps, but I'm behind on milk production (less sleep + stress = less milk) and we don't have enough for DH to feed them while I'm at work today. We bought some sensitive stomach formula to try for while we're doing the dairy-free experiment because my frozen milk will all have dairy in it. Hopefully they take the formula okay. It's hard not to feel like a failure when I look in the fridge on my way to work in the morning and there's only enough milk for one feeding. I'm pumping about 50oz per day on top of 2-3 nursing sessions but especially with the growth spurt and eating all night it's just not enough to build up a day's worth of reserves.

I'm pretty close to hiring a night nanny to come for one or two nights just so DH and I can get a good night's sleep. She is highly recommended (specializes in multiples) but $$$. My mom also offered to come out and stay with us for a while and I might take her up on that. I feel bad about it though because usually people need more help with babies when they're newborns, and here we are with them 4 months adjusted today (6 months real age tomorrow) and only now do we need the help. Plus my mom is pretty healthy but she's not exactly young, and I feel bad about asking her to haul babies around and get up at 5am to help with them.

Sorry for the ranting! Next time I will try to post something that is not about babies. For what it's worth they were very good this morning, smiled at me when they woke up, nursed nicely with minimal fuss, and played quietly with their toys while I was making breakfast. I just wish we could have more time like that and less time screaming!
  • jessica - Take your mom up on her offer. An extra set of hands makes a huge difference, even if all she does is rock them. My mom moved in for two weeks and took over the house - cleaned, cooked, laundry ... OMG I cried my hardest on the day she went home! I just had the generic colicky baby, but still remember a lot of staring at the clock, watching the second hand sweep around because the pediatrician PROMISED me it would get better. Fortunately, he was right. We're a little overdue for an update on pics, btw!

Today's my 24th anniversary. Truly a testament to stubbornness, realistic expectations, trust, and lots of time spent apart. Hey, it works for us.
  • Oh Jessica, I feel your pain, though singly rather than double. DSS was the same way - the reflux just about killed all of us when he was young. He got sent home from daycare all the time, because when he would take milk he would throw it back up. We couldn't use the Zantac - it worked for about two weeks and then it started coming right back up with the milk. We moved him to Prevacid and Carnation Good Starts formula and it really helped. Breast milk and regular formula was a total no go. Took us almost a year to realize that. We also let him sleep for the first year in a papasan swing where he was inclined instead of flat and that helped with the sleep - I know that my reflux is worse when I'm flat. And definitely take your mom up on her offer. Seriously, you have two babies, there is no should be doing this or don't need help with that. If DH's mom had wanted to move in with us when DSS was sick we would have been tempted, and we only had him half the time. It will get better. I swear.

Happy anniversary, Becky! That is a testament to something.

Bill - get that phone looked at, man! Your car is waiting!

I took two days off of work last week (burning unused vacation before the end of the year) and would up running errands pretty much all day every day. I feel like I will have a more relaxing day at work today than either of the days off. Bah. And it is raining.
  • So sorry about your wrecked weekend, Jessica. I agree, have your mom come and help. You'll all feel better about it.

My weekend was pretty good. Got some flowers planted so my place will look good for Thanksgiving, saw a cute movie (we needed a break from the edge of your seat suspense stuff) and had a great dinner last night.

So now dealing with Chico who has good days and bad days, my cat, Ringo, is suffering from the symptoms of cystitis again. I was giving him Cosequin daily and it helped but I ran out and didn't buy more. I'll have to go get some and hope this goes away without a vet visit. I feel so bad for the poor boy--sitting in his litter box for 5 minutes at a time (this morning I witnessed this three separate times) only have a small amount of urine.
  • Jessica-- please take your mom up on her offer! I can't wait to be a grandma (Ok-- I can wait!) and be able to go help.

Becky-- happy Anniversary! Doing anything special?

Allison-- make sure Ringo is producing urine. If he isn't, take him to the vet ASAP as male cats can get blocked.

My Jozi also has good days and bad. The dogs (and cats) were so excited dh came home from China Saturday night. They are being such pests! But Jozi worked herself up and wouldn't eat yesterday. She ate this morning so hopefully she's calmed down. Unfortunately, he's only home briefly this time and leaves again Saturday morning.

Dh was watching the world series and rooting for St. Louis. I asked why and he said no one roots for Boston. I think Bill does!

Shannon-- sounds like you had dss from day one. Was ex wife already the ex when he was born?
  • Quote:
    Allison-- make sure Ringo is producing urine. If he isn't, take him to the vet ASAP as male cats can get blocked.
    He is. Maybe only a teaspoon or so each time (and no blood), but it is coming out. I'm heading to the pet store in an hour and my even run home to give him some before coming back to work. What I've read is that stress brings this on. His stress was two weeks ago when DD brought her cats for the weekend and also my in-laws brought their cats for an afternoon. Last week I suggested they keep them home last week and he seemed to recover a bit, but then they brought them back yesterday. I guess I'll have to keep him on meds during the times that they are in town.
  • Michele - yes, she was already ex when he was born. I've been around pretty much the whole time he has.
  • Thanks for the sympathy guys! The doctor gave us a prescription for Prevacid and suggested we start solids and see if it helps. Today we will try giving them a couple spoonfuls of rice cereal and maybe tomorrow pick up the prevacid prescription. DH doesn't want to go to prevacid if we don't have to -- I kind of feel like it's too early for solids and I feel like the medicine would be more effective (have heard many stories from others about prevacid/prilosec making vast improvement over zantac in their babies).

For what it's worth, they are super adorable when they're not screaming. Becky asked for pictures, so here are a couple. One in their Halloween costumes that I made for them, one of DH with them. It was cute, that was how I found them when I got home from work. There is also a cute video I got of DH playing with A here.

I am thinking good thoughts for Allison's Chico and Ringo and Michele's Jozi! I need to get Carter to the vet soon, there is a lump on his belly. Things are just so crazy with the twins it's hard to manage to find the time. I'm pretty sure it's just another benign fatty growth (he has several in other places) but better safe than sorry.

Happy anniversary Becky!

• AWWWWW!!!!! Thank you, Jessica - omigosh, too cute!!! (squeeee!)
  • LOL Two peas in a pod? Two pods of peas? Cute either way.
  • LOL Shannon, two peas in a pod was the idea but it was easier to make a costume of a pea pod for each of them.
  • Jessica, well, that explains it. You did not find your twins in a cabbage patch. The Peapod online grocery shopping and delivery service brought them after you put in the order.

http://www.peapod.com/
  • Awwww. It's a good thing nature makes them so cute when they wake you up so much at night.
  • Flyby - moving day! Are we all packed? NOOO!

Good thing I added in 2 days to get all the stuff we missed first go round.

I went over last night with a load of stuff and, for some weird reason, swept all the floors on the ground floor. It felt nice to do that - tidy my house. eh?

Hope the babies feel better Jessica And the pets Allison.

Bill Are you sure about the date for the draw of the car? And DO get those phones checked

Dagmar but