Taking the Pledge - No Halloween Candy!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • It's a little late - the stuff has been out for more than a month. Let this be the place where we can affirm that we'll avoid the sugar/chocolate/candy industrial complex's offerings! And also to NOT grab those heavily-discounted bags on Nov 1!

I vow not to eat ANY mass-produced candy. Period. If a lovingly handmade, exquisite chocolate truffle crosses my path ... maybe. But nothing out of a bag or wrapper.
  • I am going to take this pledge with you...although I have been having a few miniature candy bars for the past couple of days! I have been losing steadily until this past week. Time to buckle down and say NO! to those temping tiny sweets!
  • I am totally with you this year. And in case you need more motivation to avoid it: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7

So go ahead and eat that candy if you HATE ORANGUTANS and want them to go extinct.

(Yes, there are ape-friendly candies that are free of palm oil. But why not play it safe and avoid all that candy!)
  • I vow to take the pledge. Usually by now I have devoured candy corn pumpkins by the truckload.
  • I'm onboard.

I'm good so far, but the dark chocolates that DW bought calls to me from the pantry. I so don't need them - particularly by the bag.
  • Me, too.

Didn't eat any last year, or the year before, or the year before that.

No need to start again now, even in this stressful new job.
  • I'm not sure whether we'll be able to celebrate Halloween this year. My candy, if we can celebrate, will be bought on the day of. I plan to sit outside on the porch with it, in view of the neighbourhood, so that should be a deterrent.

And I'm giving DH 7 mini choc bars as leftovers and quietly ditching the rest.

Dagmar
  • I've had one Reese's pb pumpkin and about 5 candy corns in a fit of tiredness, PMS, and stress at the office a few days ago. I have had a talk with myself about how candy can't fix those things, and feel more in control around the office candy now.

I have found that whenever I take the "no candy" pledge, though, I rebel immediately. I do vow to not buy any Halloween candy, or bring any into my house (I have no kids and no trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood so this isn't a problem). And I will think about the orangutangs whenever I encounter the candy outside the house!
  • May I join you here as I stick my toe in the Maintainers Area waters?? ICUwishing, you may remember from years past, junky holiday candy is my downfall!

I have had 2 candy corn harvests this season and vow not to harvest any more! Well, I may harvest some for my boys, but I vow not to eat another speck. I also follow the "don't buy candy to give out until the day of" rule, and strive to buy candy that I don't like.
  • Heidi! Welcome back! Yep, I do remember that from the 40's thread. I still lose it around Cheezits and chips - oh, if only they were just a seasonal thing ... Come join us in the weekly chat!
  • My boys just told me that they and DH will be in charge of the candy. They are afraid I will hand out raisins and quinoa bites! LOL

Thanks for the welcome ICU. I will head over to your chat :-)
  • Quote: My boys just told me that they and DH will be in charge of the candy. They are afraid I will hand out raisins and quinoa bites! LOL
    My adult kids are 35 and 31, long ago moved out on their own. They still are mortified that one year I gave out raisins, LOL.
  • My downfall is not Halloween candy, it's the available-all-year-round delicious high-quality dark chocolate available at nicer grocery stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I will take the pledge anyway, to make sure I don't rummage through my DSs bags, which will lie around for MONTHS, since I only allow them 2-3 pieces per day.
  • I haven't had any in years but I better take the pledge just in case I feel tempted!
  • Every year it gets easier, but this year I pledge not to have any ...