Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #31  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

bargoo, do avocados sound appealing? Would you be, um, eligible for medical marijuana? I'm pretty sure you are exactly the candidate that it is meant to help. 14 pounds is a lot for your tinyness. I'm sitting here trying to think of healthy whole(r) foods that have some serious calorie density and I'm down to avocados and the nut family.

I probably took a huge leap into the "cooked" category - I will be taking delivery on a new far-infrared sauna in the next couple of weeks. And I will never ever EVER again buy a vehicle without heated seats, not while I still winter in Michigan.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Becky, I'm a fan of heated seats and I live in the desert! Actually, mine are heated AND cooled (and should I mention they also massage?).

bargoo, I know your taste buds are all whacked out and some or most things just don't taste like anything or they taste "off," but perhaps pudding and ice cream might help put some weight back on. I know when my Mom was having problems she'd eat ice cream several times a day. Of course, she loved ice cream and her taste buds were fine, but it did help. Good luck. We're rooting for you!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Bargoo-- when my mom was going through chemo she was able to tolerate ice cream shakes from high end ice cream shops. My mom was anorexically thin her whole life so the chemo really brought her down to scary levels. What can you tolerate that is highly caloric? Hang in there....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #34  
Workin' It

Bargoo - I have had the chocolate raw meal, and it isn't bad at all. I read a lot of reviews that say it is good blended with ice and a banana - that would give it a lot of calorie impact for you in a format that has a lot of vitamin and not much junk in it, too. When my uncle was in chemo last year he tried a lot of the protein powders and ensure and such, but some of the artificial sweeteners made him sicker. The GOL isn't a weight gain thing per se, but it would give you the calories that you need. You could even throw in peanut butter. And it isn't bad just shaken in a shaker, if you want speed.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #35  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

There are a lot of weight gain products on the market that target skinny young men trying to bulk and put on muscle. Maybe those would be an option?

Kittenface!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #36  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I was trying to think of something to post and well, I'm just here. Things are not bad or good, I'm just trucking along, trying to stay on top of things and get enough sleep. I should note that I am quite happy I only have to pull out the healthy meals I prepped over the weekend for healthy lunches and dinners. *pat on back* My exercise is lacking, which means the dog's is too. I think she may go to daycare tomorrow. We will test out the new daycare owners and see if we like them.

I can't wait to get a car with bluetooth built in. See, I'm behind the times and a few years away from a new car. But if I ever lived in colder climates I'd definitely need the seat warmers and a remote start. Now, AC seats I think I'd like and could use right now.

Bargoo, I can only second the suggestions made by many. I was also thinking ice cream or smoothie type meals, because even when I'm not hungry, ice cream always sounds appealing to me. Avocados, ground flax seed or chia seed, wheat germ, peanut butter, oatmeal, full fat yogurt and milk in addition to fruit and/or ice cream would be a great way to add some calories. Do you have the energy to do this yourself or are you looking more for things that are pre-made? Heck, just get the ice cream and eat it straight from the tub. How about anything with cheese, too? Calories add up quickly there and again, well, cheese always sounds yummy to me. I like Becky's suggestion, too.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #37  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I don't care about seat warmers, but man I wish I had a car with a steering wheel warmer. All winter I have to drive either with gloves on, or a steering wheel cover (the latter of which is too bulky and makes the wheel hard to hold). Megan, my new car (Prius V 2013) comes with a bluetooth phone connection. It is indeed very nice, but not as seamless as you might wish - I still end up needing to interact with either my phone or the in-dash screen to select a specific line whenever it doesn't recognize my voice command, or if a person has more than one phone number.

Krampus, your kitty is adorable. And Bill, your tree photos are magnificent. I too have been to see redwood groves several times, and each time it is stunning all over again. I especially love the way they filter the light - did you see those amazing shafts of sunlight that penetrate where the trees are a bit further apart? I LOVE that. It feels like a movie set. Or the primeval forest.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #38  
Chuggin' along...

Krampus, when I posted earlier from my work computer for some reason your kitten picture didn't pop up. So cute! I love your new fur baby!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #39  
Workin' It

Megan - I had a remote start on my last car, and it was fantastic in the heat of summer.

Pretty kitty, Krampus!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #40  
Staying the Same

Wahwahwahwahwah. Sometimes it just feels like a huge drag to do the bare minimum to maintain and not feel like a blob. The past week has definitely been one of those times.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Wahwahwahwahwah. Sometimes it just feels like a huge drag to do the bare minimum to maintain and not feel like a blob. The past week has definitely been one of those times.
That sounds like your nasty cycle talking. Hope you're feeling better soon.

TMI maybe but I must be ovulating today. Sometimes I get quite a pain on one side for a whole day. Quite annoying.....
Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #42  
Staying the Same

Sounds like Mittelschmerz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelschmerz

Yeah, I hope it is that. But usually at this point I'm well into "ew, food" mode and feel very in control. We'll see!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #43  
Chuggin' along...

Are you sure, Krampus? Because I was thinking you should have some avocados, raw almonds, or a nice salad dressed in vinegar & olive oil. You know, as part of the "healthy fats cure all that ails you" theory. Michele, avocado?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #44  
Workin' It

Avocado! The next miracle cure!

If it catches on we should totally market it and sell on Dr. Oz.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-26-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #45  

I'm not a big avocado fan believe it or not. I like guacamole though.... I actually use the trader joe's reduced guilt guacamole as a salad dressing and had some for lunch today.