Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
bargoo~perhaps you can foster a dog? I know our local shelter is very happy to have volunteers take a dog home--even if it is just for a weekend.
)
It is the day to day care that I don't think I am up to.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
It is the day to day care that I don't think I am up to.
I'm sorry. Maybe you can just stop by the shelter from time to time to keep them company for a little. That might make you feel better, too, without wearing you out too much.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #63  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon

Michele, I've never met a Viola. Had they gone to see Twelfth Night perhaps?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #64  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yes, to me, Viola seems a literary name, rather than a British name. (Of course she should have a brother named Sebastian.) To me, some examples of names that my U.K. and Irish colleagues' children answer to & that haven't caught on yet (or maybe ever) in the U.S. are Aoife, Nigel, Gemma, Pippa, Daphne, Simon and Geoff. But I won't be hearing about them on my Monday morning calls, as they've got a bank holiday over there. I am generally envious of the bank holidays, as well as their job-related benefits -- but we've got Labor Day coming to us soon so I'll hold that in check.

Bargoo, how are you? I've seen you posting just a bit more than you had been, and have taken that as a good sign. I agree, you need some animal love. Something calming that would curl up next to you and occasionally look up at you adoringly. Since we can't do that very well through the laptop screen.

Shannon, how I love the sound of your uncle, finding tools and cleaning them up. I meet guys on that mission sometimes in my antique hunting. One of the most attractive things in the world to me is a guy explaining something that he's fascinated with, like what a tool was used for about 100 years ago. They worry they sound like geeks but I think the animation and passion in their faces & voices makes me want to hug them or at least applaud them. I don't mean droning, didactic people, I mean the ones who are genuinely engaged. This is probably why I do fairly well on my job, because I've got to listen to subject matter experts and translate what they're saying into good business English.

And honestly, I think I live an average, unexceptional life for someone employed in a consulting firm, within my salary band, within the greater NY area. I am hardly unique. Thousands of commuters around me in cars & on the commuter rail run their lives in much the same way, even with the same gym schedules somehow crammed in there.

Last edited by saef; 08-23-2013 at 08:52 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #65  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

We think you're unique, saef. And we know what we're talking about.

Yes, the August Bank Holiday is coming up on Monday. It traditionally rains on bank holidays. We like our traditions so it's slightly worrying that the weather forecast is possibly OK-ish.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #66  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
I thought Megan looked too sweet and innocent in her avatar to be laying on the heavy sarcasm, so color me fooled. Glad to know pretty much everyone is part of the pj pups club
You are not the first person to be fooled. You'll get to know me soon enough. Mwahaha.

Another day of field work cancelled here to due incessant rain. Yesterday's visit to the big office went pretty well. My boss has a new boss. Though he's not actually in my chain of command (it's complicated) I introduced myself to him and chatted with him about my position and some of his ideas. He seems nice and sweet and genuinely wanting to make a few changes for the good of the students. I'm hoping the sweetness is an act and he has thick skin, otherwise he's going to get chewed up by the politics that go on there.

Saef, re: people being suited to their jobs. I took a personality test with a group of people a few weeks ago. There were four columns of different adjectives on the board, you went to the column where most of these adjectives suited your personality. Then you were also told the negatives adjectives associated with your personality type. The point of the exercise was that there is power in knowing how people perceive you, positively and negatively. It was interesting to see who really fit with their types, and re-consider perceptions of others and even myself. Of course you gravitated towards your job because certain strengths made you suited for it. I can also only image how living and commuting in the greater NYC makes you feel like you're in a rat race with so many others. Sounds like you're ready for a vacation to somewhere with more space and less traffic. Maybe a visit to your mom's over Labor Day weekend to enjoy the fall colors and do some birding would help clear the cobwebs?

Michele, let us know how Jozi's vet visit turns out. I'm hoping for the best news, something small and easy to fix.

Jen, I think you answered your own question. All that exercise can make someone hungry! Your workouts need fuel, of course.

More rain is forecast for the weekend which eliminates a lot of outdoor activities. BF and I have talked about going to the city to run some errands: new cell phone for him, picking up a part for his boat, and maybe doing something crazy like going to see a movie or bowling. Anybody have any exciting plans?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #67  

We're having some weird weather here. Last night at my Wine Women dinner several smart phones went off with an emergency alert (mine too, but I had mine on silent). Some messages were for a wind and dust advisory and others were for a flash flood warning. We were in the restaurant for a little over 3 hours and when we went out it was as calm and nice as when we had gone in, but the drive home showed us the evidence. Tree parts all over the roads. That usually indicates a lot of wind. When we got home, DS said it had been "crazy windy" and his friend said they had a lot of dust at their house. Apparently it was a bit of a haboob that hit us and the skies this morning are still full of dust. I guess I won't be getting my car washed this weekend.

We met a two new couples last night and had a great time. They may be inviting us to go with them the next time they go down to Temecula for wine tasting. I've never done that, but DH did once before I moved down here. It could be fun.

I'm fighting off this darn cold/allergy/sinus thing. Two days ago I felt wiped out. I haven't been sleeping well due to the sinus issue (finally got a great night's sleep last night). Yesterday I fought sneezing all day. Today I feel better but the darn thing still has it's grip on me. I'm hoping a restful weekend will get me over it.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Yes, to me, Viola seems a literary name, rather than a British name. (Of course she should have a brother named Sebastian.)
Ahem.... her brother's middle name is Sebastian

I have no idea yet where they got the name from. I thought my dh was kidding when he told me. My dd's and I just thought of all the poor ways the little girl will be teased for her name. Oh well. I get to shop for a present this weekend! Of course, I have no idea how big she is. Dh didn't get that fact. He's like-- I don't know-- probably 7 pounds something. Duh!

Thanks for the Jozi well wishes. I successfully procured this morning's pee from her. I didn't think that would go well but she was surprisingly non fazed by me following her around in the dark at 5:30 with a glad ware container!

Speaking of dogs and weight-- my Dewey's diet seems to be working! Maybe too well! I put him on the "green bean" diet which is where you substitute part of their doggy food for green beans. He was getting quite portly which is dangerous for a dachshund. He was about 15.5 pounds. Last night I was petting him and realized I could feel his backbone easily. I weighed him this morning after he ate and he was 14 pounds. That's a big difference for a little guy! I can't see or feel his ribs so I think he's still fine but I'll watch that he doesn't keep losing. My dd also put her service dog on the diet. He should weigh 80 pounds tops and he was 85. Last I heard he was 79 pounds!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #69  

And Bargoo-- I'm also glad to see you posting. Are you doing ok?

My father in law was just diagnosed with prostate cancer and starts radiation next week. It was caught very early so he should do fine.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #70  

Quote:
I have no idea yet where they got the name from. I thought my dh was kidding when he told me. My dd's and I just thought of all the poor ways the little girl will be teased for her name.
A few years back I met a woman and her daughter. The daughter's name was Octavia. Nope. I can't see that girl getting any teasing in school. Of course, when I met her she was in college and seemed quite well adjusted so she obviously handled any ribbing they may have dished out.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #71  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Michele, does that green bean diet work for humans? [Makes a note to herself to buy lots of green beans at the produce market tomorrow morning.]

I wish Jozi well on her vet visit, also. Jozi and Dewey are very vivid presences on this thread.

I have to admit, it's Becky's rabbits that I'm most curious about, since I've never known any personally. They seem extremely pettable, and excellent & comforting for a cuddle, but I don't know what their personalities are like.

Megan, yes, I'm longing to go Upstate, but can't, as I've got a lot to do: I have to hire a new person, mostly on my own, for the first time. I've participated heavily in interviewing candidates previously but they've been through a lot of screening before they get to me. I have never done the whole shebang, from obtaining backfill permissions to posting the description to working with the recruiter to screen resumes, making the initial phone calls, etc. I know this will be quite time-consuming on top of my other end-of-quarter activities. I'm also trying to harden myself, since something about the process is going to remind me rather of visits to animal shelters, with all those pets pressing themselves to the front of their cages, seeking adoption.

Last edited by saef; 08-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #72  
Chuggin' along...

I'm sure the green bean diet would work for me, if only I had a master who was totally in charge of my food and I couldn't get any more!

But good job to you and your daughter, Michele, for controlling your dogs' weight. I had an overweight dog who died from a fat tumor cutting off his windpipe as a child. I think of him every single time I feed my dog and she begs for more. She is at a healthy weight at 65 lbs, not too skinny but not overweight, but is one of those dogs who always acts like they're hungry. The irony of my meticulous measuring out her food but sometimes being unable to control my own food intake doesn't escape me. Is that a proper use of irony, Saef? Anyway, YKWIM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #73  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
A few years back I met a woman and her daughter. The daughter's name was Octavia. Nope. I can't see that girl getting any teasing in school. Of course, when I met her she was in college and seemed quite well adjusted so she obviously handled any ribbing they may have dished out.
We have an Octavia at my school. And a Merciful. And a Halleluja (luckily went by Hallie).... it goes on and on....

And yes, I assume the green bean diet would work for us all. High in fiber, low in calories.... sigh....
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #74  

My dd is interviewing for a job right now (the one in college so this would be part-time). I'm nervous for her because she was super nervous. She would be working for Mad Science as a mad scientist! Keep your fingers crossed if you're so inclined-- she needs spending money!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #75  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

My dogs are also getting green beans, as well as pumpkin, in an effort to trim them down a little. On the other hand my new mini schnauzer is very under weight -- he is getting lots of extra chow.

I have often lamented to my family that there wasn't such a thing as "People Chow", because I would do best if I had no choices and was simply forced to eat the same thing over and over. Now I hear about the Soylent stuff (and SEE it, ewww) and think... well... maybe not.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 08-23-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote