Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thinking of you Bargoo. I'm sure it's ironic to you to battle your weight for so long and now to have your weight be too low. My dad was very overweight my whole life until he declined late in life. When he was in the hospital, the nurse was talking to me about what a tiny man he was. She was shocked when I told her he had always been heavy.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #32  
8 mos maintainer

S/C/G: 212/154/154

Height: 5' 7.5"

I went and caught up on last weeks thread. Lots of interesting thoughts. I had a bout of orthorexia during one of my pregnancies and I wonder if that child has more learning disorders due to that. So I was very anti-diet for about a decade until I stumbled into my weight (helping someone weigh their baby, you have to weigh yourself holding the baby and then subtract your weight.)

So with that in mind I've always considered food tracking to be process of nourishment more than control. There are numbers I want to limit, like calories and sodium, and numbers I want to boost like protein and fiber. While I was still nursing a baby, I actually kept an eye to make sure fat was about 30% of my calories because I didn't want it to go lower than that on a regular basis.

I did caloric cycling toward the end of my reaching goal and while it was very effective, I did feel like I was paying too much attention to the numbers, to an unhealthy degree. I would still recommend it for periods of time, but it got to be obsessive for me.

re: Dr. Who, I think Peter will be good as 13. He reminds me a bit of Tom Baker, just the look in his eye.
TriciaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Another "True Blood" fan here. We lost interest for awhile but are now most of the way through season 5. Our local DVD rental place (yes we still rent DVD's) will rent us 3 epis of any series for 2 nights for $4. Sure beats buyng the set for $60 and then having it sit around after you're done with it. I'm too tired to walk there tonite so will settle for anything that's on TV (and I'm talking anything) as I work my way through a mound of laundry.

Latest news at the new house? Both toilets are broken now. Apparently the one in the basement had a crack start in the tank. The house owner kept lowering the water level in the tank as the crack progressed. Now it's so far gone it leaked all over the floor. Good thing the basement is unfinished. DH will pick up a cheap new toilet at Home Depot on Friday and one of his "guys" will install on Sat.

Until then I suggested they all go and discreetly pee in the jungle at the back of the yard. No one will see them there and it might kill some of the weeds!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #34  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Ah, toilets. There is no "small" way for a toilet to fail. My boss was just telling me about getting up from conducting her business, flushing, and the seal between the tank and the stool chose that moment to let loose - in a drenching, 180 degree horizontal spray! In the process of dropping to the floor to grab the shutoff, she was soaked head to toe.

We had one in our old house that had a very discreet little leak for a long time down at the wax ring. When we unbolted it and lifted it off to replace it with a more efficient one, the cast iron flange (almost rusted through), and rotted flooring came up with it!

Water always wins ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Default AAAAARGHHHH!!!! long rant!

Yes it's about DH.

His boss is driving him crazy and he's coming home and passing along all his frustration and anger to me. I can see the anger and anxiety radiating off him when he walks in the door. His boss always needs a whipping boy/office b*tch and now it's DH's turn to fulfill that function. I understand why he's doing what he's doing but, when I explain it to him, he denies it and starts accusing me of picking on him. This is how I feel after any evening discussion with him.

He's one of those people who's in a coma in the morning so I can't talk to him then as he doesn't remember anything I say.

We have gone back and forth about the darn hardwood flooring now for 2 months. I found the place I want to buy it, went there and looked at samples, selected the stuff I want, and the installers came and measured and we have the # of sq. ft. we need.

So why can't DH order the flooring? $%&^* knows.

He keeps trying to talk me into cheaper stuff. This is going to be the MAJOR beautifying feature of the entire house. I am already getting the flooring at almost wholesale. So why the $%^&* is he stalling?

He keeps finally agreeing with me after we bicker for a month or so about all the items. I KNOW what I'm doing. But if I try to take a task back from him (I would have had the flooring bought and stored at the house a month ago) he accuses me of undermining him and wants to give up the whole supervision of the reno.

I suspect that's at the root of it. If he makes a mistake he thinks I will blame him for the rest of our time at the house. So he doesn't want to take responsibility but then gets all shirty and says he has no say in how the house will be. We will both be making mistakes with the house. Some of them will be expensive mistakes. Some of them we can correct, some not.

Oh for the love of MIKE! His dithering drives me nuts. I am good at making decisions and trust my judgement after sleeping on things. I put together an entire bathroom in 4 days. The tiles I wanted were discontinued so I redid the entire bathroom design in my head in 15 minutes and figured out and bought the tile while wandering the tile aisle at the store. My contractor LOVES me. Give me the info I need to get stuff done and I'll DO it.

DH has major problems making any decision. He lays out 15 plans of action and then does nothing and is paralyzed by all of his choices.

I am trying to let him do a lot of stuff on his own. He keeps saying he has to concentrate on getting the stuff done but then gets distracted. Then he asks for help/hand holding but get mad when I do just that.

Whew! I needed that.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dagmar, just go ahead and order the flooring.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #37  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Dagmar, just go ahead and order the flooring.
This. ^^

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #38  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Ditto Jay and Bargoo. . You can couch it sweetly as feeling a need to help with the ordering, leaving him freed up to deal with the contractors.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:04 AM   #39  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Just get it done, Dagmar.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #40  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dagmar, sorry DH is being a pain about the reno. I can relate a little, my DH also gets "analysis paralysis." This is why we only managed to replace our 9-year-old TV (which my dad bought for us) with an actual HDTV because I had enough credit card points to get one for free and there were only like 2 choices. We've been talking about replacing it for YEARS. Occasionally when an issue comes up like this we'll have a discussion and agree that if he gets analysis paralysis he'll allow me to make a decision and accept whatever I decide.

Andrea, I do feel a little bit like a dairy cow. I'm used to the pump though since when the girls were in the NICU and had tube feedings I pumped every 3 hours for weeks. I could not live without my hands-free pumping bustier! I can work from home but there's no way to have the babies out of earshot in the house. Honestly what makes working from home difficult is that DH talks to me all the time if I'm there. We live about 20-25 mins drive from my office so with two babies it's not really worth the effort to drive for me to BF at lunchtime. I BF in the morning, pump 3x at work, and BF when I get home. Then I pump in the middle of the night too and DH does one night feeding.

The girls are getting big! 9lb 1oz and 9lb 7oz at the pediatrician Monday. They got their Zantac dosage doubled too, and are sleeping much better now.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Neither DH nor I get analysis paralysis with purchases, however, I do when it comes to planning a vacation. DH and I decided a few weeks back that we need to replace our family room loveseat and chairs. The loveseat is losing it's cushion on DH's side and the seams in the leather are starting to come apart. We really like the set and regardless of the price we wanted the same brand. We found a local store that carries it, went in, looked, and placed the order. Of course no one in the USA had the exact specifications that we wanted so it's on order from Norway. Yeah, pricey. And I fear it will become fodder for Ringo's claws as soon as we get it home.

When planning a vacation there are so many variables that it drives me nuts so that's why we usually opt for a cruise! With that we don't have to make any decisions (no hotels, no transportation) and we get the benefit of seeing many different places without having to lug our luggage all over. Unpack once! Such a benefit!

I agree with everyone, Dagmar, just order the flooring yourself. If he gets upset, just explain that not ordering it will only delay the renovation.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, man. Just got back from the vet oncologist. Chico has major lung metastasis. He's back on chemo and we're looking at 6-12 months for him. Cancer sucks.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #43  
Workin' It

I'm so sorry to hear that, Allison.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #44  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Yes, me too.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Allison my heart hurts for you!

Last edited by CherryPie99; 08-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote