Maintainers Weekly Chat August 12 - August 18

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • All my cats can catch birds and lizards. The feral one can kill both. I've never seen them with a mouse or rat (rats are more prevalent here). I'd feel better about setting a trap for the mouse (peanut butter as bait works good).

But it's cool that you're adopting cats!!!!!!
  • Quote: hmmmmm . . .
    Victor Mouse Traps cost less than a buck, don't shed hair, aren't picky, and don't make noises.
    They don't poop in a litterbox either

Dagmar
  • Michelle I know how it feels to be hard on myself when I eat too much. I also know it has helped me to just say it out loud, along with your intentions, right here. Wishing you well as you get back on track!

I've managed to keep losing a pound a week these last three weeks. Not nearly as dramatic a weight loss as last year, when I lost 30 pounds and then jumped onto maintenance right away with help from my friends on this site. Over the late winter/spring, I gained back 11 pounds. Now I'm only 8 pounds above my ideal weight (and still nowhere near overweight), so I can say I'm doing pretty well.

Still rather low emotionally, not liking the uncertainty of losing my business one bit, but taking charge of a few things I can contarol (like my weight) helps. Plus, overeating as self-medication is worse than useless... I get more depressed, both physiologically and psychologically.
  • Quote: Michelle I know how it feels to be hard on myself when I eat too much. I also know it has helped me to just say it out loud, along with your intentions, right here. Wishing you well as you get back on track!

I've managed to keep losing a pound a week these last three weeks. Not nearly as dramatic a weight loss as last year, when I lost 30 pounds and then jumped onto maintenance right away with help from my friends on this site. Over the late winter/spring, I gained back 11 pounds. Now I'm only 8 pounds above my ideal weight (and still nowhere near overweight), so I can say I'm doing pretty well.

Still rather low emotionally, not liking the uncertainty of losing my business one bit, but taking charge of a few things I can contarol (like my weight) helps. Plus, overeating as self-medication is worse than useless... I get more depressed, both physiologically and psychologically.
    Good to hear from you Chris - I've been wondering how you were doing. Losing a lb. a week is good! Knowing that overeating as self-medication is counter productive - even better!

Dagmar
  • Hilarious cat story Dagmar!!

Home from my trip and feeling just huge. Will definitely be going to bikram this afternoon to hopefully sweat out some of the indulgences.

I managed to burn myself pretty badly with a hot glue gun yesterday (hot glue dripped on my leg and I grabbed it off-- burning both my leg and two fingers) Not sure how my blistered fingers will do in Hot Yoga-- we'll see!
  • I have come to the conclusion that it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to use a hot glue gun without burning myself badly. It happens every. Single. Time.

My body has not been cooperating with me. I couldn't run on Friday due to pain from my Achilles tendinitis. And I have been RAVENOUS for no reason at all. Increased hunger + decreased exercise = guilt/anxiety....

Going to try my long run tomorrow - wish me luck! 1/2 marathon is 2 weeks away!

Jen
  • (((Allison))) We haven't had a good summer with our pets. And we only have chickens and fish. I think dealing with departure is a big reason we don't have the more endearing animals (though one of our chickens has a sweet, almost puppy like personality.)

I did a 10 mile ride for cancer, which was the longest I've ridden a bike in the actual outdoors. It was fun, I got to talk to family members I was riding with. I probably should have had more water or maybe a sports drink after because I wound up with a migraine. Hitting the bake sale for lunch was also a mistake. I need to remember good recovery food next time.
  • Quote: (((Allison))) We haven't had a good summer with our pets. And we only have chickens and fish. I think dealing with departure is a big reason we don't have the more endearing animals (though one of our chickens has a sweet, almost puppy like personality.)

I did a 10 mile ride for cancer, which was the longest I've ridden a bike in the actual outdoors. It was fun, I got to talk to family members I was riding with. I probably should have had more water or maybe a sports drink after because I wound up with a migraine. Hitting the bake sale for lunch was also a mistake. I need to remember good recovery food next time.
    Congratulations on the cancer bike ride.
  • Tricia~I have an online friend with chickens, turkeys, goats and dogs. The tales she tells! She has a knack for writing and makes everything funny regardless of the outcome. Pets are pets regardless of their covering.

DH and I went to DS's Student Parent Orientation Program at UC Irvine today. While I could have read it all on line (but really couldn't as it was "required" at a cost of $75) I was glad to have seen the campus. DS had a two-day orientation and slept over in the dorms which he'll inhabit in a month. He loved it. He registered for classes and is taking 3 classes (12 units) and will evaluate how his classes are scheduled for the next quarter (5 at 8 AM, 2 at 11 AM, 2 at 3 PM and two at 6 PM). He's thinking he'd rather have them all in a block, but that is not always feasible.

After orientation we drove to Upland to see DD's new apartment. It won't be easy to visit her as she has to apply for a visitor's parking permit or park on the street--possible blocks away, but it is a nice place. She's met several neighbors who all seem nice (she says others seem sketchy). But I'm glad she has a garage for her car, bike and other stuff--all locked up. Her one-bedroom apartment is spacious, on the 2nd floor with cathedral ceilings. She's met the handy man who has been helpful in installing a couple things for her. She's really happy.