Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #31  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

[IMG]file:///Users/neurodoc/Downloads/flower%20cookie.jpg[/IMG]
430 calories - and only about 4 inches across.

[IMG]file:///Users/neurodoc/Downloads/cake%20pop.jpeg[/IMG]
160-180 cal per piece, and the size of a golfball (maybe 3 bites?)

Silverbirch, sadly it really doesn't take much when a tablespoon (14g) of butter is over 100 calories and a typical 40g choc. chip cookie contains over 1 tbsp., plus the fat in the chocolate, not to mention the sugar and flour that hold it together.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Birchie - this cookie came from Panera Bread, I'd say 6-6.5 inches in diameter, so 15-17cm I guess? Pretty thin, but big. I can see them powering a substation.

Michele - that woman makes me sad inside. Unless maybe she just likes it?

The eating didn't stop with the cookie, and now I feel kind of icky.
Re exercise "addiction" - I've read that there are people who get caught up in the endorphins a good workout produces - commonly called "runner's high".

Also I was acquainted with a woman, years ago as teenagers, who suffered from anorexia. Her family finally got her into treatment. It seemed successful. She was thin, but not dangerously so. She went on to get married and have a family. But I used to see her out powerwalking in the neighbourhood for what seemed all day long. So the compulsive behaviour had maybe translated over into exercise, instead of controlling food intake.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #33  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Calorie counts still surprise me, especially on sweet stuff and restaurant food. When I see the damages laid out on a restaurant menu, like Michele, it does often cause me to make course corrections - I appreciate having that knowledge. Admittedly, if it's something I've never had and may never see again (like a few of the dishes in Europe), calories are the last thing on my mind!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #34  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, everyone. Alarming news.

I asked as I'm still trying to understand the term 'cookie' ... It's just not one of my words!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I believe the term is exercise bulimic or something similar. Just as some puke to get rid of excess calories, some turn to excess exercise to do the same.

I admit I ate a few cookies on my cruise. 5 to be exact. But they were nowhere near the size of a Panera cookie. DS goes to Panera often and usually brings the cookie home for dessert another time. Thankfully I don't find his leftovers tempting.

As for the calories at a restaurant~you'd think it'd reinforce the "rule" of asking for a leftover container right away and stowing half for later, but no, I'm not prone to doing that. Thankfully we don't eat out as often as we used to.

That said, I'm having a hankering for sushi. I had sushi for lunch at least four times on the cruise and even though it was a rather limited array, it still tasted good and now I want more. Perhaps DH and I will do sushi for lunch today? Hmmm, good idea or not? We have gone back to our usual Friday lunch "date" however, it usually entails sandwiches somewhere or other.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #36  
Workin' It

Yes, exercise bulimic. I have to confess to having manifested some instances of traditional bulimia and exercise bulimia in the past.

And I'm realizing right now that I'm about to do the same thing today. I cut my 20 mins of cardio on Mon and 30 mins on Wed because I was worn out, skipped my yoga last night because I was a little tummy sick and didn't think they would blend. So this morning when I worked out I did 45 minutes on the bike instead of 20, telling myself that I only owe back 25. I exercised this morning instead of tonight because we have DSS tonight and I can 'make up' my 55 minutes of yoga tonight, then I can do an unplanned 25 minutes of bike tomorrow in addition to my 30 minutes planned yoga, then I'll have 'made up' my deficit. And I'm telling myself it helps with my food binge yesterday. Exercise bulimia. Sound like it to you guys?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #37  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaV View Post
I like cooking, Firefly, Dr who, and conservation. I guess I'm going to school for speech language pathology. We started a renovation 3 years ago, but then my husband went to law school.
Hi Tricia! I'm an irregular on this thread (that reminds me of the Baker Street Irregulars) but I had to chime in when I saw your likes: I too am a big fan of the Doctor, and also loved Firefly. What do you think of the new Doctor? Call me shallow but I like them a bit younger and quirky-geeky-handsome (David Tennant, call me!)

ETA: I ate a Mrs. Fields cookie at a meeting yesterday (why????) - after reading the discussion above I looked up the nutrition info. Mrs. Fields herself claims that this cookie only had 200 calories. That actually seems low, given the density of the cookie. I wonder if it's remotely correct.

Last edited by JayZeeJay; 08-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Yes, exercise bulimic. I have to confess to having manifested some instances of traditional bulimia and exercise bulimia in the past.

And I'm realizing right now that I'm about to do the same thing today. I cut my 20 mins of cardio on Mon and 30 mins on Wed because I was worn out, skipped my yoga last night because I was a little tummy sick and didn't think they would blend. So this morning when I worked out I did 45 minutes on the bike instead of 20, telling myself that I only owe back 25. I exercised this morning instead of tonight because we have DSS tonight and I can 'make up' my 55 minutes of yoga tonight, then I can do an unplanned 25 minutes of bike tomorrow in addition to my 30 minutes planned yoga, then I'll have 'made up' my deficit. And I'm telling myself it helps with my food binge yesterday. Exercise bulimia. Sound like it to you guys?
Shannon Your post is making my head spin - whew! I am not one for logging and calculating and weighing etc. Good thing I walk for a living -

I think exercise bulimia is when you do something for hours upon end - like 5 hours of biking every day, or 3 hours of running, or similar. It's exercise of unnatural length and intensity every day. JMHO.

Dagmar
Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon... I agree with Dagmar. You don't sound like what I'm seeing in this one woman. I feel sad for her and her family. I know she has young teenagers--- what do they do all day long during the summer while she exercises for hours on end? I was happy that she wasn't at yoga this morning. I don't know about the other four classes today but at least she missed one.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #40  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Darn it. I tried to post pictures of a Panera flower cookie and a Starbucks cake pop to show Silverbirch what we're talking about, but it didn't work. How do you put a jpg in your post (as opposed to just a link to a picture)?

Hmm, bulimia means alternating overeating and purging. I would guess that exercise bulimia would mean trying to exercise away your excess calories instead of purging, so if you eat an extra Panera cookie (=440 calories, as detailed in this thread) you do an extra hour of cardio that day, above and beyond your usual amount of exercise. Which reminds me of the tagline I have seen often on 3FC, "you can't out-exercise bad eating habits." Dagmar, I think that this is different from straight-up overexercising like the woman Michele sees in her gym. That kind of obsession (3+ hours a day, every day) is more typical of anorexics than bulimics -- or of "Biggest Loser" contestants.

I love Firefly too (not that there are many episodes to watch, unfortunately). I haven't allowed myself to get hooked on Dr. Who, but know I would love it if I let myself - I am a huge fan of science fiction, both books and films.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #41  

Big "Firefly" fan here too. I have liked most things Joss Whedon has worked on - "Buffy", "Angel", "Serenity", etc. I really like the lead actor from "Firefly" too - "Nathan Fillion" - currently starring in "Castle".

I have all sorts of painting, delivery, grass cutting, and other stuff to do at the new house. Nice cool sunny day so I'll enjoy all of it.

Good weekend all!

Dagmar
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #42  
in development

Morning, Bargoo!

Morning, Jessica!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #43  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Okay, as someone who's cycled through different manifestations of an eating disorder, this is my personal experience:

Anorexia: Subsisting on very little food and always trying to get by with less, through a conscious effort and exertion of will. So it's not at all due to forgetfulness. In fact, I got obsessed with making food for others, looking at pictures of food and recipes, or even being near it. And yes, I exercised constantly. A friend reminded me that when she visited, I was even marching in place when we halted at crosswalks, just to burn up calories. I'd describe my emotions as frozen and brittle, with an enormous undercurrent of panic, but also an almost manic exhilaration: Look at my power & control! And indeed, I had incredible energy, considering how little I was putting into myself.

Exercise bulimia: The previous state was unsustainable. My control slipped, and I wasn't able to constantly restrict with an iron fist, as I had before. I started bingeing in a particularly ugly way, like through dedicated trips to the grocery store, or standing up in the kitchen consuming lots of food mindlessly, compulsively. Then after I recovered from the sluggishness and bloat, in a punitive mood, I'd go out and exercise. I never counted calories, so my calculations were never as exact as Shannon's, but the motivation and thought pattern was the same. Here there were extreme mood swings. There was a kind of cycling, which I hadn't had with anorexia.

Compulsive exercising: This isn't the same as exercise bulimia, and probably this is my current problem. Here, exercise is nearly a ritual and one must engage in it to be "safe" or to have completed one's tasks for the day. It absolutely has to happen, no matter where you are, no matter what else you do that day. There isn't necessarily a correlation between food intake and exercise, so it's not quite a purging behavior. There are degrees of rigidity here. If you absolutely have to run this many miles, on this particular route, or ***it doesn't really count*** even if you've done weights or walked all over Disney World all day, and get irrationally uneasy at the idea of changing it up. It's the breaking up of the pattern or the inability to perform the ritual or routine that freaks you out. It's hard to tell where this shades from compulsiveness into trying to keep up a healthy routine & habit of "moving" every day. So very hard. But I think the answer lies in your emotional state, whether you feel anxious or afraid or inadequate or like a hopeless case because you haven't done what you **ought to** or **must** do. I think I've actually made some progress here while I've been on this board, but any steps toward being more relaxed or casual is countered by an awful fear that it will result in a regain.

And here's the thing, which is probably the wrong way to think, but I have to say it: I always wonder whether those of us who were morbidly obese and got to normal weight ought to have some slack here compared to those who were at a normal weight (however that's defined) but began to aspire to be at a fashion model weight.

I have no answers here about that blurred line between healthy routines and compulsions, which suggests to me that part of this is cultural & societal as well as personal & emotional & psychological.

Last edited by saef; 08-10-2013 at 08:10 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #44  
in development

Default Florida subset

Megan!

JayEll!

Welcome back and thanks for the above, saef.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Morning all!

Another HUGE sci-fi fan here! Although I absolutely HATE Dr. Who! I have on my rental queue to rent through Blockbuster Warehouse 13 - anyone here watch that?

Andrea - I use tinypic.com to upload any pics I want to put on here - it's really easy and sizes them so they don't take over the whole page when I post. Panera's flower cookie:

Saef - I'm so happy to see you posting - I was worried the conference went very badly but even though it sounds like it was CRAZY, it sounds like you did fantastic! I agree that us former fatties should be cut slack

As for me, I went to the office related party Wednesday evening and ate way too much! That of course resulted in a weight spike Thursday. I immediately reverted to eating well the last 2 days but was kind of dreading the 95th b-day party we are hosting for my father-in-law today because it is another potluck that I don't do well at. But a bizarre miracle has happened and my weight is way down to 116 pounds today, so I'll be able to enjoy without obsessing on calories.

Happy weekend all!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote