Maintainers Weekly Chat July 15 - July 21

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • Yay, Dagmar! I have loads of jalapenos about to ripen. Whatever I bring will involve them.

Quote: Shannon, you ran in a 10K, I just realized this from our exercise logging thread. How did that go? Did I totally miss your account of it somehow?
    Saef - I didn't talk about it, actually. I wasn't sure I would finish the 10k before I had to make the turn back and do 5k or keep going for 10k decision during the actual race, so I didn't announce it in advance in case I failed. I have been struggling to get my exercise back on track lately, and this was only my fourth run since 5/19 when I turned in a terrible 5k time for the first race in this series. I'll copy over what I wrote on FB about Sunday's 10k:
    "1:14:22 at the Summer Steamer 10k.

My worst 10k time ever this morning, yet here I am posting it and proud of it... I'm 41. I'm healthy, I have a wonderful family, great friends, a good job that keeps a roof over my head and food on the table, AND I finished a 10k today on only my fourth run since May 18th. So many people in the world woke up today without so much, and some didn't wake today at all, but I woke up and ran. And I'm happy."

So, I feel pretty good about it. I'm working on accepting myself for where I am now and not comparing myself to what I used to do. I'm getting better.
  • Congrats Dagmar! Very exciting!

Bargoo-- my thoughts are with you. I could take you to lunch if you're interested? And not virtually!

My money pit has been the past week. I am in Houston helping older dd move for her upcoming teaching job. She won't get paid until the end of August so we are basically funding everything. I'm trying not to panic about all the money going out. We flew here Saturday with her service dog and her cat. Her cat has always been laid back, but the flight apparently sent him over the edge. He has hidden behind the toilet since arrival. We've managed to get him to eat a little tuna and canned food and he has peed. We found a great vet yesterday and spoke to her. She sold us pheromones which seem to be chilling him out a bit.

We have bought a bed, washer and dryer, new car, new TV, vacuum, etc. Not to mention setting her up with a fridge full of healthy foods. We also bought her a juicer as she wants to start juicing. We've been juicing for breakfast. I don't think it's for me, but she seems to like it.

I've had zero exercise which is stressing me out. I'm eager to get back home and to bikram yoga tomorrow. I'm hoping my weight is holding fairly steady. We went and saw Wicked last night. Amazing!

Sunday I'm leaving with younger dd and Dewey the dachshund for Carmel. They have an annual dachshund picnic at the beach there. We've never been but 100 plus doxies go! We are staying overnight in a B&B that is dog friendly. I'm excited to go but it's more$$$$$ and unknown foods!

I'm serious Bargoo about lunch!
  • Quote: I have a wonderful white bean and tomato salad with rosemary vinaigrette - I'll bring a wheelbarrow full since I'm guessing there'll be a bunch of us.
    Care to share the recipe, Bill? That sounds wonderful!

Congrats, again, Dagmar!

We've been dealing with a terrible amount of smoke and ash here. The Mountain Fire started up in the mountains (duh) and came over the top and started down the hill toward Palm Springs. They're very certain it will NOT progress further into our valley as the winds have changed slightly but last night they evacuated the entire town of Idyllwild (6000 occupants and over 4300 homes in danger). My relatives have a cabin up there. I'm worried for everyone.
  • Quote: I have a wonderful white bean and tomato salad with rosemary vinaigrette - I'll bring a wheelbarrow full since I'm guessing there'll be a bunch of us.
    Recipe? Pretty please? I don't mind making salads that don't involve washing greens.

Dagmar
  • Quote: So many people in the world woke up today without so much, and some didn't wake today at all, but I woke up and ran. And I'm happy."
    Yes, exactly that, and whenever I ask someone how a race meant, all I am thinking about is how they **felt** about it beforehand, during & afterward -- I am never thinking, "How fast? Did you break a personal record?"

I'm debating running in a 5K in early August, which I haven't done since, I think, Thanksgiving in 2011, but don't want to poison the experience by berating myself if I cannot run faster than my own personal record. (Which I have forgotten what it is; all I can remember is it's several full minutes slower than 30 minutes.) I just want to run because I can.

I've been reading and re-reading the women's statements on this link and I am sort of in love with some of the things they say. (I'm not advertising this person's services, I just take fabulous affirmations wherever I can find them.)

http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/24/im-awe...b_source=pubv1
  • saef Awesome !!!!!
  • That is a very cool site, saef - so glad you shared it! I love the women on there that really seem to OWN it! I can say those type of things right now, but I don't truly FEEL them. Working on it, though!

I hope you do run the 5K! I'm doing a 10K this weekend. It is the anniversary of the first 10K I ran which was last year. I am interested to see how my time has (hopefully) improved.

It is right along the water (since you know the area, saef - it's Cape Vincent) and the weather is supposed to break - mid 70's and much less humid.

Jen
  • Oh, Jen, what a vision that brings to mind during this heat wave, where I'm downstate for one more night & half a day. The city gets rancid after so many days over 90 degrees. I'm imagining you running past the lighthouse, with the water green as glass, and maybe afterward, a burger (probably without a bun) and a big tall sweaty glass of iced tea at The Breakers. I would love to be in Cape Vincent or Sacketts Harbor today, instead of here at my laptop, about to call into a meeting.
  • Maybe someday you'll make it up here and we can enjoy a run along the water - or a burger - or both together!!!!!

My guest room is completely decorated in a Miami Dolphins theme, so if you can handle that, a couple of crazy Boxers and cats, you might love to come spend some time with me!!

Jen
  • DH and I went for an awesome kayak today. Cool wind, beautiful sun, and not too many people out and about. I was paddling with two swans swimming alongside at one point and a cormorant flew not 4 feet from the nose of my boat as we crossed the harbour.

I was so happy to be out on a cool day and doing something I love. Kinda lifted the sad news from yesterday. One of my cousin's cats (3 years old) had to be put to sleep yesterday. Internal blockage. Poor little man. Since I start a pet sit with these pets tomorrow I was glad this happened now. At least the cat was with his family at the end, rather than a friendly sort of stranger.

I have to go over there today to get the keys and info. I know everyone will be sad. Me too. But there are two pets left very much alive and I will enjoy their company. They are young and full of life!

Dagmar
  • Warning: unsolicited bragging ahead!

Took first place female in my 10K race today! Killer time (for me anyway) of 47:33.

Jen
  • Quote: Warning: unsolicited bragging ahead!

Took first place female in my 10K race today! Killer time (for me anyway) of 47:33.

Jen
    Congratulations ! I poured virtual champagne on your head !