Maintainers Weekly Chat July 8 - July 14

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • Bill - I have a friend whose parents are Scottish, was born in England and lived most of his life in Canada before moving back to London a few years ago. He made a point of putting on his FB that the victory was a great one for the Brits and the Scots. He didn't catch Virginia Wade though, nor did I. Oops.
  • Shannon, you may be a bit young to remember her?

I've sorted some slate and am now a puddle.
  • Quote: Shannon, you may be a bit young to remember her?

I've sorted some slate and am now a puddle.
    Hehe. Maybe so. I don't feel young right now, so anything I can say I'm too young for I'm good with.

What is the weather like where you are, Birchie? I know earlier this year some places were seeming to go straight back to fall and skipping summer.
  • And I'm back up two pounds today. Sigh. Never ending battle.
  • Shannon, we had a very long winter which held all the blossom back. Then spring came altogether in a rush - it was quite glorious. Now we're having an over-typical British summer - almost completely unpredictable. I wore leather gloves and a fleece hat to school sports day about 10 days ago as the rain drove in almost horizontally. At that point, I was certain I wouldn't see the sun for weeks. But London on Monday & Tuesday was scorching. Today, at home, it's been about 27C (81F) with the wind swinging about. All my garden plans disintegrated. Now the wind's in the NE, our coldest quarter. I'm finding all the changes very wearing and I still haven't unearthed all my summer clothes.

It's bedtime here and I'm a little hungry. I'm just going to clean my teeth and go to bed. That's the best thing to do, I think.
  • Good Morning!

Got my first good night's sleep this month last night. The new house CAN be fixed. I didn't buy a "lemon" and it will eventually be a really nice, functional house. After our visit yesterday and the pronouncement by the HVAC guy that the furnace and ductwork could be moved I came home and literally jumped up and down in our front hall.

Now all I have to do is keep DH's alternating enthusiasm/aversion to spending my money in check. That's what really separates us - I can and do make decisions and stick to them. DH formulates 7 plans and then spins around trying to decide between them all. His approach makes me sometimes.

I have been quite overwhelmed by it all and have to keep repeating "everything doesn't need to be changed at once, every thing etc. etc.". I'm hoping, once the quotes are in and a kind of reno "plan" has been set up for August. I can then seriously address my "eating slippage". I'm not too far down the slope yet, but I have been gaining momentum lately.

I figure I have August-October to diet things down a bit and get set for moving. I'm thinking I'll take my "vacation" the last week of October and move then. November will be chaotic and then December should be easier.

Dagmar
  • Weird - we are 11 days from closing and my dad has started his harrassing phone calls again. No way he could know what's happening. Probably coincidence. But my stomach still lurched when I heard his voice - kinda like one of Pavlov's mutts.

Dagmar
  • Memorial service for my grandma is over. It was short, sweet and to the point - live simply, with dignity and curiosity, and teach when you have something to offer. A simple formula, really. I will be "brainificating and thinkifying" on this for a bit.
  • Quote: Memorial service for my grandma is over. It was short, sweet and to the point - live simply, with dignity and curiosity, and teach when you have something to offer. A simple formula, really. I will be "brainificating and thinkifying" on this for a bit.
    Good words to live by. to you Becky.

Dagmar
  • Quote: And I'm back up two pounds today. Sigh. Never ending battle.
    Michele, my heart goes out to you in empathy. I feel like you are living the same nightmare I had for the 4 months leading up to my swearing off further attempts to get down to my goal weight. And I'm betting that, like me, no one not on this board will understand why you are so driven to lose weight when, to them, you look "just fine." I have no advice, just sympathy.
  • Thanks for the empathy Andrea. I truly appreciate it. I'm up another pound today. I went to Target today and I was just MAD. I was so temped to buy CRAP to eat. Might as well, right?! Luckily I walked away. Praying the scale gods hear me and help me out a little.
  • I got down to 194.2, then last night friends took us out to dinner. No dessert, plus Karen and I shared one glass of white wine, no appetizers, but still.. a salty chicken dish so now I weight 195 again. Dang! But I think I'm still on track. One reason I set as goal for a low summer weight is so I don't get to an even higher weight than this in the winter.

Michele I can relate to being MAD and eating crap to express my anger. I'm angry these days as everything seems to be going so out of control. Losing my business, and just yesterday finding out a good friend has aggressive cancer and an aunt is suddenly going into hospice. Yeah I'm mad, and I've just decided that to show how mad I am, I'm going to keep control of my eating. So there!
  • Quote: Thanks for the empathy Andrea. I truly appreciate it. I'm up another pound today. I went to Target today and I was just MAD. I was so temped to buy CRAP to eat. Might as well, right?! Luckily I walked away. Praying the scale gods hear me and help me out a little.
    Would you, and anyone else who is tormented by this, consider a range of numbers to be your "weight"? I know I am fine if I weigh somewhere in between 133-137. That is my maintenance weight, rather than one specific number.

Dagmar
  • Shannon, I get it, too. I'm down a little over a pound from last Friday but I spent much of this week feeling really hungry and wondering what's happening to me. At this point I wonder if I'll ever see 145 again. Then I hear friends who are working with personal trainers & who feel badly if they eat a carrot, a tomato or a handful of grapes, because these are carb-y, and worrying about anything made with flour, I mean, whole wheat flour, even though they don't have any digestive issues with gluten -- and I don't want to be in that position, either.
  • Quote: Shannon, I get it, too. I'm down a little over a pound from last Friday but I spent much of this week feeling really hungry and wondering what's happening to me. At this point I wonder if I'll ever see 145 again. Then I hear friends who are working with personal trainers & who feel badly if they eat a carrot, a tomato or a handful of grapes, because these are carb-y, and worrying about anything made with flour, I mean, whole wheat flour, even though they don't have any digestive issues with gluten -- and I don't want to be in that position, either.
    I'm wondering what's happening to me as well.

I'm about to go on vacation and I'm not going to worry about anything until after I return, but right now even my "fat shorts" feel tight. I've gained back everything I lost last year, plus a few. It stinks.

I added some fruit to my diet in the past month because, hey, it's healthy, gosh darn it! And a 3 pound gain is what I got from that. Granted I think I've cut back on veggies a little, so I will concentrate on getting more of those for a while and see if that helps.

DD is taking a course to become a personal trainer. She hopes to find a part time job doing this when she starts grad school. She completed her CPR training this week and in enjoying learning what it takes to be a personal trainer. I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but she's pretty sure she messed up her metabolism by eating too few calories when she was losing the 50 pounds she's lost in the past year and a half. So for the past 6 weeks or so she's upped her calories and exercising. Seriously, if I ate what she eats, I'd be obese in a month! Goes to show that all these years of dieting probably have messed with my metabolism. At least she caught it early and is doing something to fix it. Me. Probably broken for life.