Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Angie posted this last evening but I didn't see it until this morning. She posted it in Faith Based Support Groups under this thread Prayer Warriors Thread 2013 Continued. This is where I got to "know" him and often ran into him in other forums. I would have liked to have met him in person.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-28-2013 at 02:00 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #47  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
My heart is aching this morning. Angie has posted Gary is going home under hospice care. She said " It's been a battle for Gary, one that has taken a toll on him He is coming home tomorrow on hospice care We will give him comfort care in the familiar surroundings of his home."
I'm glad that Gary is going home. This is what my mother & father chose to do, when it was clear my father had limited time left with us. He moved into a bed in the living room. Fritz sat on the bed with him, by his feet. He and Fritz could watch the birds coming to the bird feeder. My mother & I cared for him but not alone as hospice sent at least one person to the house every day. I can't say enough good things about hospice and how they helped us, physically, mentally, even spiritually. If they are as good with Angie and Gary and their family as they were with my family, I will feel just a little better about this. I'm glad that Gary will be in his home, which he spent a lot of time working on, and shared with us in pictures. (That RED kitchen.) And Gary's dogs will be near him, too.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Godspeed Gary. I am glad you are with family and friends (and dogs) to help you along on this last journey.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #49  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I never met Gary here but am saddened nonetheless, especially in light of my father's situation. I went to the rehab hospital this morning to go to an optometrist appointment with him and he seemed tired and depressed. He called me later and said he feels like he doesn't have much time left and I've been crying ever since. If that's true (and I don't know that it is), I want him to go home. Like saef's father, he should be with his family and his beloved pet (his Corgi, Franklin). I'm glad Gary will be with his family.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #50  

Gary, family and friends, wishing you all peace.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Yesterday was the day that Berkeley, my son's #1 choice for college, sent out the emails to see who got in and who didn't. DS did not. His best friend did not. Another friend did, but he isn't going to go there. DS did not get into UCLA. His best friend did. The other friend also did, but he isn't going to go there, either.

So DS now has all the answers from all the schools he applied to:
Did not get into UCLA, Berkeley or Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (his top choices, too). He did get into UC Irvine, Cal Poly Pomona, UC Riverside, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State San Marcos and two others I can't remember. He is trying to decide between UCI and Cal Poly Pomona. I don't want to make the decision for him, but if he were to go to Cal Poly Pomona he could live with DD who will be getting a place in Claremont, thus saving me a little money. Now lets see if he gets any scholarships. DD applied to dozens and got nothing.

ETA: I just read that freshmen and Cal Poly Pomona are required to live on campus unless you graduate from a high school in the immediate area. Guess my idea won't work.

Last edited by alinnell; 03-29-2013 at 11:00 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #52  
Workin' It

Sorry your son didn't make his top choices Allison, but he did get into some great schools. What is he planning to major in?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Sorry your son didn't make his top choices Allison, but he did get into some great schools. What is he planning to major in?
Computer Science. And yes, he did get into some good schools.

I think it's rather funny that the friend who got into the two top ones that DS wanted isn't planning on going to either one. I don't know where he's going, but not UCLA or Berkeley.

Mind you, these friends are #3 and #5 in the class. DS is about #13 (out of about 450 or more). Can't say any of them are too shabby! DS is also friends with #1--they used to do karate together. I always thought he was kind of a slacker, too! Looks like one anyway, but I guess with a doctor for a father and a lawyer for a mother, they don't allow slacking!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #54  
Chuggin' along...

Alison, congrats to DS for the good schools he did get into. Maybe if he went to Cal Poly after freshman year he could room w DD.

I am so sad to hear the news about Gary. Well, but of course I'm glad he'll be in his own home and surrounded by his family. My thoughts are not only with him but also with Angie, his kids, his beloved grandkids, and the rest of the family. Bargoo, please do keep us informed if you learn of changes in his condition. Gary has always been such a bright, positive and really warm and friendly person.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote