Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #31  
Workin' It

Jen - I love the Ford Edge. Just love it. When I traded in my CRV last summer I almost got an Edge or an Escape, but I was looking for a lower car payment and that wouldn't have helped me any. I love my Focus, though. What do you think of the Sync system? Is yours one with the MyFord Touch? I like it, but it has taken some time to learn.

Sheila - I had to google gropple as well. I'm sorry your LiveStrong program expired, were you saying there was another one coming up soon you could register for?

Michele - I missed your fall, I'm going to have to read back last week. I'm glad that you are okay! My MIL fell last week on the stairs also, and we are pretty sure that she has cracked ribs that they missed.

Saef - I'm glad that you had a good trip. The altitude in Santa Fe can be tough. I had a friend who moved from here in Atlanta to AZ and it took him weeks to really feel comfortable.

Allison - sorry that they can't move your phone number! Bah.

Ward - the flu and strep have been everywhere lately. Get her to the doctor for Tamiflu, it will help shorten the duration of the illness. Sorry that things are still so chaotic in your house, that is frustrating.

Bill - it is easy to get in an excess snacking pattern in the house at loose ends. Good job on climbing back out of it. I agree that Feb is a tough month - even down here where it is warmer I feel trapped in the house this month with all the rain. We can garden earlier though, like your DW I'm looking forward to that.

Becky - good luck to DS in his choir auditions. And glad you are recovering from your cold. I may be getting one. Again.

Ishbel -I've finally realized that sugars kill me. I managed to start a craving cycle last week that it took days to get out of, and I think it came from the homemade honey wheat bread I ate last Monday. It was like popping the top off of a big bottle of crazy and I was out of control for days.

Megan - you can get back on plan. Absolutely. Is it pouring down rain down there today like it is here? I want to get outside and walk around, but it is wet.

Jessica - when DSS was little I got annoyed by the same gender stereotyping thing. They are infants, who cares if they are wearing fruit or animals or flowers? I tried to buy things that were more neutral, I think that would be harder for little girls though.

Dagmar - cleaning out the sold house is the hardest part. I'm glad that DH is doing a lot of that for you.

I'm going to be better this week. I ranted about my week last week in the Staying Lean thread, and I'm determined to be better this week. I'm trying to go cold turkey today on hormone and craving related snacking to see if that helps. I also need to refresh myself on how to rehabilitate my again messed up IT Band. Need to review the things I said to Jen about it when hers was out of sorts. This week will be better. Absolutely. Winter is almost over, it will be sunny and time to plant my little seedlings that are sprouting upstairs soon.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #32  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Last night I had a night full of food dreams! I dreamed that I was with a bunch of pregnant women and the instructor of my childbirth class, and we were in early labor, and she was making us set up a dessert buffet to occupy ourselves. I was annoyed because I was tired and just wanted to eat the desserts instead of putting them out on the table, so I grabbed a fork and started eating pie. Then I dreamed that I was on the phone with my mom and telling her that I was going to go buy donuts because I really wanted donuts, and she was giving me some kind of vague guilt trip about getting fat from eating donuts, and I was trying to assure her that I was only going to eat two, not an entire dozen, so it was okay.

I attribute these dreams to two things: being exhausted after a really long childbirth class last night where we talked about labor a lot, and having eaten donuts for the first time in ages last week.

Jen, congrats on the new car! When I hear Ford Edge I just think of that commercial they had a few years back with that song, "I like to live on the eeeeed-geeee!"

Shannon, too bad that your IT band got messed up again. I hope you get better soon!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #33  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I've got my BF hooked on raw massaged kale salads. Last night I cleaned a huge batch of mesclun mix and lettuce from the garden for our salads this week, and asked him to try the arugula and see if he liked it, bc it's too peppery for me. He loved it. Then he asked "if we could massage it" like kale. So I gave him some EVOO and salt and let him massage away. Then he discovered the "mustard red giant" leaves in the mesclun mix I was washing. He happily chomped on these leaves, declaring "they taste just like wasabi!" I don't know why it amuses me so much that he loves greens even more than I do.

Shannon, this week has got to be better, right? You can make it! Looking forward to spring gardening really makes me happy, too. I have another round of snowpea seedlings about ready to plant, and need to put more lettuce seeds in the ground. My lettuce mixes and kale are coming in full force. Yum! It's not raining right now, and I'm hoping it will pass over quickly so I can wog the dog after work. I think it's supposed to rain for several days in a row this weekend.

Jessica, funny dreams. Usually my dessert dreams are triggered when I've abstained from sweets for a long time. My nieces have a few yellow outfits with monkeys, but most of it is pink. I agree with you, why does everything need to be so gender stereotyped? My DS & DH tried to buy some neutral things for their first baby, bc they knew they wanted more kids and hoped to re-use things. But a lot of things were bought for them.

Jen, your Edge looks like a nice car. Enjoy it!

Michele, have you recovered from your fall? Sorry you couldn't donate. How about some black bean and spinach soup? I was anemic a lot through HS and college, but eat a lot more greens and beans now and really think they make the difference for my body. I haven't been anemic when I go to donate blood in quite a while. Interesting about the calcium supplements, I've never heard that.

Alison, sorry about your phone. Good luck getting the messages and new number sorted. But think about all the great things about your new office location!

Have a great day all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Thanks everyone for the congrats on the car. It makes me feel a little better - I feel kind of guilty spending the money on myself - don't ask me why! I have no kids but I tend to hoard money - hmmm...wonder if that's related to my weight issues?

Shannon - it does have the Sync system! It is cool and freaky - I tell my car to turn up the heat and it does! Or tune to a radio station and it turns it!! Maybe that is not new to many of you, but I've never had anything like it!! I'm really excited about the built in navigation and it also has a backup camera. Which is good for everyone behind me LOL

Anyone want to see a pic?

Last edited by CherryPie99; 02-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #35  
Workin' It

Ooo, love the car Jen. And the Sync is fabulous. Do you have an iPod? Hooking that up and playing through the USB in is pretty awesome, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #36  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

ooh, very pretty! I drive a '99 VW so I don't have any of those cool gadgets! wah!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #37  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Jen, I don't even have a smartphone, so your car is blowing my mind. It is formidable -- it looks like it could get you home through any kind of weather whatsoever.

I dragged myself around my apartment all day, jet-lagged, thankful I'd taken the day off, and bingeing on the Internet, since I'd been unplugged completely for three days straight. At least I got unpacked. And went to the grocery store for more produce and roasted a tray of veggies & also some turnips. Couldn't make myself go to the gym till the evening, after dinner. Now I need to head to bed and I'm not tired yet. But I must sleep because within a half-hour of my return to the Stamford office tomorrow, my boss wants me to present something at the staff meeting. It's going to feel like I never had a long weekend at all. Sigh.

Last edited by saef; 02-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Jen, I don't even have a smartphone, so your car is blowing my mind. It is formidable -- it looks like it could get you home through any kind of weather whatsoever.

I dragged myself around my apartment all day, jet-lagged, thankful I'd taken the day off, and bingeing on the Internet, since I'd been unplugged completely for three days straight. At least I got unpacked. And went to the grocery store for more produce and roasted a tray of veggies & also some turnips. Couldn't make myself go to the gym till the evening, after dinner. Now I need to head to bed and I'm not tired yet. But I must sleep because within a half-hour of my return to the Stamford office tomorrow, my boss wants me to present something at the staff meeting. It's going to feel like I never had a long weekend at all. Sigh.
I was going to take a vacation in Santa Fe (and see things near it like the Georgia O'Keefe museum and the desert etc.) but the logistics and time it took to get from Toronto (not that far from where you flew out in airplane time) to there were kinda mind-boggling. Apparently there's no direct flight from Toronto to Santa Fe so you have to lay over somewhere else and then take another connection.

I would have gone for 9 days. Going for just a long weekend is quite a formidable thing in terms of travel time and jet lag.

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Love the image that the Ford Edge is an iPhone on wheels.

Perhaps it can be programmed with helpful suggestions, e.g. "Do you really need that donut?"
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #40  

Default rant/sigh

Looks like DH will be unemployed in 2 weeks. More stress we don't need. I hope the house closing goes smoothly. At least that will be done. I'm kinda glad I'm dogsitting right now. I don't have to listen to the endless plans of what DH is going to do. Not doing, going to do.

I read a thing by Dr. Phil (not a world authority but someone who sometimes does have common sense) that said that successful people take action. DH discounts anything coming from Oprah and anyone connected with her but Dr. Phil has a point.

I took action years ago and am now respected and successful as a self-employed business person. I took action when I weighed 152 lbs. and am now consistently around 135-138. I took action, hired a personal trainer, and now am strong and still reasonably fit at 56. I have taken action and am going to be able to buy a house as a result.

I keep trying to lead by example. Doesn't seem to be working. Sigh.

Dagmar of the
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post

Perhaps it can be programmed with helpful suggestions, e.g. "Do you really need that donut?"

Dagmar
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post

Ok, I just shot some Pumpkin Spice coffee out of my nose on that one!!

Saef - I'm pretty "up" on technology but this system is somewhat out of this worrld. I can't wait to try the built in navigation. I have a work related trip in 2 weeks to a place where I am not familiar at all, so I think we'll play around with it this weekend so that I'm comfortable using it.

Shannon - I don't have an iPhone - I'm an anti-apple person LOL But I did order a 8GB USB thumb drive that can be plugged in so I can put a ton of albums and songs on there and listen. Plus I get Sirius free for 6 months - HAIR NATION is getting a workout

Dagmar - So sorry about your husband becoming unemployed. And I totally get the "things to do list" which seems to get bigger and bigger without anything getting crossed off!

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #43  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I still think of my 2006 Subaru Forester as being "new" even though it's seven years old now, but it certainly doesn't have any of those sort of gadgets! The fanciest thing it has is a weatherband radio and a CD player. But hey, it gets me from point A to point B safely, so that's the important thing. DH is still driving his 2001 Honda Civic. We don't plan on getting a new car until one of ours conks out (likely to be his Civic, it's got 100k miles on it).

I had another food dream last night! This time it was that I was at an all-you-can-eat buffet, but for whatever reason all I ended up eating was pancakes and fruit smoothies, and I think there was zucchini in the smoothie.

Dagmar, sorry about your DH's unemployment. Doesn't he have some kind of accounting certification? I'd think he ought to be able to get a job with that.

Megan, how do you "massage" kale? DH has been making us this tuscan kale salad lately, is it similar to that? (Also, about arugula -- I can't eat it straight, but it makes a nice addition to a salad mix or sandwiches!)
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #44  

Jen,
I don't remember if you are married or not but if some guy takes you out on a date, he'd be wasting his time trying to impress you with his car!! Your new car is really something! And BTW did I read your stats right that you've lost over 200 pounds??? OMG!!!
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My car is equipped with Sirius radio, but I didn't get anything free and have never activated it. I rely on my iPod in there almost 100% of the time. And I do love the navigation. By far the #1 best part of my last four cars is the heated seats! This is the 3rd car of mine that has voice controls, yet I have neglected to use them on the past two cars as they were too cumbersome to learn. My Infiniti was easier.

I discontinued my Spotify subscription yesterday. I used to listed to it daily at work, and now that we're moving to a smaller office, I really can't listen to it except for Mondays and Tuesdays. My secretary has a radio that I'm sure she'll listen to, so the last three days of the week we'll be listening to oldies. Sigh. Hair bands! Love it! My DD has a playlist of 80's hair bands that is pretty good. I can still listen to it, but will have to endure the ads.

I'm interested in massaging my greens as well. Is it similar to tossing?

I had a dream last night that DH and I had bought a new place (house?) and were finding treasures in the crawl space under it. We found china, mixed glass art (like blown art objects--mostly fish and shells) and then we happened upon a never-used, antique ice box (not fridge--a real ice box). It was intricately decorated inside and out with paintings of food and different sayings about food-even recipes! Such detail for a dream! We kept wondering how on earth we could get it appraised and then sell it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote