3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb11 - Feb 17 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/275481-maintainers-weekly-chat-feb11-feb-17-a.html)

BillBlueEyes 02-11-2013 05:26 AM

Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb11 - Feb 17

Recovering from Snowpocalypse Nemo. We had maybe 26 inches, but I was shoveling in drifts that reached four feet. The good news is that the shoveling is done and places were found for all the snow. Huge mounds fill the streets where usually there are spaces for parked cars. It won't be pretty for those who've dug out a space and leave to go somewhere because new spaces will have to be dug out of the mounds.

The good: It was a bunch of upper body exercise.

The bad: There was a snack during each break. Painful to think that I gained weight with that much work.

Dagmar: The dogs were wincing where they had to walk on the salted streets ; They weren't happy.

Mudpie 02-11-2013 05:37 AM

Bill Glad to hear :cp: you made it through. We already have rain :rain: here melting away the large piles on the street and the salt (I hope).

I have gained 4 lbs. since last weigh in. The house that I'm selling hopefully has an offer/offers tomorrow night and I sell it then. These two items are definitely related. As probably are the back spasms I've had all weekend and the panic attacks at 2:30 in the a.m. :eek:

We have a long weekend coming up this coming weekend. I get 2 days to relax :beach: and then start another sleep-over. I plan to fully enjoy those 2 days and do nothing related to housework, decluttering, moving, etc. etc.

I just bought a new book for my Kindle and I suspect that will take a lot of the weekend. And there are a couple of movies I plan to see. And it's DH's birthday weekend (we are taking offers on the house on the night of his actual birthday) so dining out, chocolate cake and wine will be involved. :hat:

Dagmar :tired:

WardHog 02-11-2013 07:26 AM

Glad to hear you guys are digging out. There has been nothing but rain down here.

It's a long week-end for us, too. No school Friday or Monday. There will be many challenges, starting with school lunch on Valentiine's day, then my son's sleep-over birthday party. Sleep deprivation often equals overeating for some reason. Also, my 96 year old grandma is in the hospital. An unplanned trip might be in the cards.

Just trying to take it one day at a time ...

bargoo 02-11-2013 08:30 AM

I had a bloody nose yesterday, it had just started when the doorbell rang I debated answering but holding a kleenex to my nose I did answer. A neighbor couple and their dog were at the door, I said I' m having a bloody nose , they wanted to talk about it asking, what are you doing for it, do you get them often,etc. I think they were expecting me to invite them in. I said I have to take care of this and they left, but I thought the whole scene was a bit odd.

alinnell 02-11-2013 09:29 AM

Sorry about the bloody nose, bargoo. Reminds me of my secretary. She was doing payroll last Wednesday and I went in to talk to her and she had a kleenex stuffed up one nostril. I asked if she had a bloody nose and of course she did. I, on the other hand, would pinch my nose, lean forward and relax for a few minutes rather than trying to work.

Dagmar and Bill (and everyone else impacted by Nemo), I don't envy you at all. I remember huge winter storms in Utah and when young I loved it (sledding, staying home from school, building snow caves) but as an adult you have to really work to get on with your life. I had numerous friends from other chat boards who told harrowing tales of trying to get home during the blizzard and losing power. Not fun.

Weight? Yeah, up here, too. Saturday night we went to see Itshak Perlman (wonderful concert--just he and a pianist) and we went to a French cafe for dinner beforehand. I had a gratin of coquilles St. Jacques (scallops) with vegetables. And while it wasn't a huge serving the gratin was loaded with butter and bechamel sauce. Oh, it was divine!

Tonight we're going to go see Garrison Keillor. I look forward to his droll humor.

ChrisMohr 02-11-2013 09:47 AM

Good luck with parking spaces Bill! And good luck everyone with Valentine's Day! Karen and I don't buy each other chocolates; instead we spend time together doing things we enjoy. So we'll see a mastodon display at the Natural History Museum and an opera show in the evening. Happy hour together at a nouvelle-type restaurant where healthy low-fat nonsugar food can be ordered. The goal for both of us is not to gain weight that day; it would be singularly unromantic if we DID gain!

traveling michele 02-11-2013 10:36 AM

Poor doggies Bill! My dd has bought boots for her service dog for when she has to take him out in the snow/salt conditions.

Good luck with the offers Dagmar!! That would be so fast!

Good luck to everyone with Valentine's Day this week. Dh leaves tomorrow for Belgium so he made me a wonderful dinner on Saturday (shrimp and scallops). Yesterday we went to San Francisco to use a groupon I had bought for "Funky Door Bikram Yoga". It was fun and different to go to another studio, but it wasn't nearly as "funky" as I was picturing-- except for the outdoor showers-- that was a little interesting!! Afterwards we walked around a found a nice lunch spot and ordered a healthy lunch.

My weight is just *barely* under my redline which is a big win for me after a weekend. Now I need to stay focused and remember it is a redline, not a pink line or a grey line! I really want to be 5 pounds under this weight so I've got a ways to go!

paperclippy 02-11-2013 12:29 PM

Bill, glad you made it through the storm okay. One of my friends lives in the Boston area and they took their little kid sledding . . . on a hill formed by the snowfall on top of their car! Apparently the drifts and snowfall were enough that they put the sled on the snow on the roof of their car and there was a nice slope down to the ground.

We've been having a lot of wind here, some rain yesterday, but nothing too cold. Of course the 10-day says it's going to be 47 on Thursday and then snow this weekend, so who knows?

For Valentine's Day, DH and I are both taking the day off work . . . so he can drive me around to my multiple doctor's appointments. :lol: Maybe we can squeeze in a "romantic" lunch in between the endocrinologist appointment and the ultrasound.

Sheila53 02-11-2013 01:37 PM

Bill, had to LOL at "the good" and "the bad." I'm sure all that shoveling took care of any snack you might have had. Shoveling snow, especially that wet, heavy stuff, burns up lots of calories.

Dagmar, house selling/buying is stressful. Hope you get offers today so that you can go back to a bit of normalcy and fully enjoy your long weekend.

Bargoo, that's just weird. Unless they're hematologists or vampires and into blood.

Wardhog, sleepover birthday parties--I remember then fondly (not!). I think we eat when we're tired to gain a bit of energy. Hopefully you can take a nap at some point. Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Allison, sounds like a fun (and yummy!) night out.

Chris, those are great V-day plans.

Michele, me, too, on the 5 lbs. under the redline. I was there at one point--seems so long ago now, but it really was only last November.

Jessica, romance is a state of mind! :)

I had a great time at the animal shelter with the dogs coming back from the prison. It was a lot of fun to watch them respond to hand commands and do tricks like crawl, bow, high five, wave. It's always a crapshoot if the adopter will keep up with the training, but as long as they keep the dog, I guess it doesn't matter. Only one dog didn't have an adopter, and he was, frankly, the most, uh, exuberant. A really happy dog, but unruly. And funny looking--a German Shepherd stuck on a Corgi body. Definitely have to be leader of the pack with that guy.

There's nothing like starting out the week with fresh sheets, a well-stocked refrigerator (healthy stuff, of course), a clean car and a whole lot of sunshine!

Megan1982 02-11-2013 02:07 PM

Hi all,

I had a hectic weekend here. The art show Friday night was GREAT, and I had more people than I thought curious about the plankton. BF and I picked out the pieces we'll buy each other for Christmas - if we hit the lotto, anyway, since we can't really afford them.

I spent the rest of the weekend buying and prepping food for the cast party I catered on Sunday evening. It was nice to make some extra $, but I ended up stressing myself out getting everything done and standing on my feet for about 12 hours straight yesterday. I like to cook but would not do well as a professional caterer. The pressure takes the enjoyment out of things, for me at least. I keep thinking about how I don't feel I've made much headway in dealing with stress better even though I say it's a goal of mine over the last 1.5 years. I go to yoga, and for that time I can destress, but haven't really learned to apply anything to my everday life, other than decline activities completely. Unfortunately some things, like work, you can't decline. Or activities like theatre or cooking that I enjoy, but when paired with everything else become stressful for me. Hmm... I wonder what I can do differently.

I have nothing planned this coming weekend and I am looking forward to being a homebody and cleaning. Sheila, you're starting your week how I would prefer to start every week. Sounds nice! Ahhh.

Glad everyone survived the winter storm.

Michele, my parents' dog is a big, fluffy lab-retriever. He loves his booties! He wears them for salt in the winter, and he wears them for sand and sand spurs when he comes to visit me. It's funny to see such a big dog wearing them and daintily picking his way along.

Chris, I like your Valentine's plans. My BF and I will probably just eat dinner together, but a normal (read: healthy) dinner - the point will be quality time, not the food. Quality time is really what it should be about, isn't it?

Jessica, speaking of quality time, well, at least you'll get to spend some extra time w DH Thursday. Lunch would be nice. ;)

Bargoo, strange. Did the neighbors say what they had originally rang the bell for?

Dagmar, sorry about the stress and trouble sleeping. It's no fun lying in bed worrying. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you get some decent offers and can move this house quickly.

Alison, enjoy GK! I grew up listening to A Prairie Home Companion. One time my BF called me and told me to turn on the radio. There was a show "he thought I'd like bc I like theatre stuff". It was Guy Noir. I laughed and told him I did like it, and had heard it before. Let us know how the show is!

Mudpie 02-11-2013 06:51 PM

SIGH. Found out this morning that a dog who has been with me for close to 15 years is going to be put to sleep tomorrow night. This has been a long time coming and she has been suffering for a long time. Still makes me sad to think I'll never see her dear old face again. I had to say goodbye twice today - I let her out for 2 potty breaks and gave her a big hug and kiss and treats both times. Then I had a good quick cry in the car and went about my work.

She was the first lab puppy I ever walked and I fell in love with the breed due mainly to her. I will miss her for a long, long time. She will always have a special place in my heart.

I have warned the realtors that I will probably be crying tomorrow night but it won't be due to anything connected with the house.

Going to be quite the day tomorrow.

Dagmar :tired:

Steph7409 02-11-2013 07:34 PM

Dagmar, I'm so sorry about your loss but I'm glad you got to see her today. I'm still actively grieving for my cat Grommet which seems unusual to me. Perhaps it's because I'm older and the losses are, inevitably, piling up. Or perhaps it's just been a tough 6 months. Anyway, I hope your house sells and you can at least put that particular stress behind you.

Megan, I too enjoy cooking or organizing events but then get too anxious to really enjoy it. I think I still prefer doing such things (including the anxiety) than not doing them, though I don't do them with much frequency. I think that's how the anxiety is self-limiting. I'm glad the art show and the party went well!

Sheila, most of the Corgis I have known have German Shepherd attitudes. You can't let those little legs fool you! (There's a great Corgi over on Cute Overload a lot - Max Stubbular.)

Jessica, good luck with all your appointments. At least you'll be together!

Allison, that concert sound divine. I enjoy Perlman and a violin/piano duo sounds wonderful.

Bill, I know what you mean about snow and parking. I live in a densely-populated urban neighborhood with very little space to put the snow so I was happy we got less than 10". And much of that has melted, although my new neighbor cleared his sidewalk and driveway of every speck of snow by putting it in the street, leaving a 4 foot wide pile of snow about 2 feet high making it impossible for anyone to park there.

I've not been coping well with my sadnesses and stresses and haven't weighed myself for a few days because I know how much I've been eating. Not good. I've made an appointment with a therapist because I feel like I'm losing my grip and I need help, although I'm not sure what that would be. I've never tried therapy before so I'll see how it goes.

bargoo 02-11-2013 08:00 PM

Dagmar, so sorry about the loss of this dog. I know how painful this is.

alinnell 02-11-2013 09:48 PM

Aw, Dagmar, so sorry. Although not your pet, it is still hard. And I'm sure you know that those that do belong to you are just has hard. RIP, baby Lab! (Because, they really all are our babies.)

BillBlueEyes 02-12-2013 05:54 AM

Mardi Gras

Dagmar - Sending supportive thoughts as you spend the day remembering the good fifteen years of your dear Lab friend.

Steph - Good luck with your new direction to find your peace.

Jessica - LMAO at the romance of your Valentine's Day plans. Hope all the testing goes well.

Megan - Congrats for your success as spokesman for plankton - they don't have many supporters, you know. Love the thought of picking out presents to buy each other when the ship comes in.

Happy Mardi Gras to you all. I'm feeling like Fat Tuesday right now. It wouldn't do me any harm to give up unmindful eating for lent. And for unlent also, LOL.

I did one last pass of shoveling by moving my car out of the driveway to clear away the snow that had blown underneath. Kinda amazing that fierce winds can get that much snow underneath a car. DW reminded me that the blizzard of 1978 was so difficult because it landed when we were already covered by a previous storm - making it even more challenging to find spaces to put the new stuff.