Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec 17 - Dec 23

You're on Page 4 of 7
Go to
  • Thanks everyone!

This morning DH prepped me a gigantic array of healthy food that meets the "optimum nutrition" guidelines and almost (but not quite) adds up to the 3500 calories required. I came downstairs and it covered half our kitchen counter! Then he pulls out our cooler and is like, you'll have to start taking the cooler as a lunch box, it won't fit in anything else! I compromised by taking his lunch box instead of mine (his is basically a mini-cooler and he's on vacation so doesn't need it), and taking only part of the food with me since I'm working from home this afternoon. There is no way I am going to be able to eat that much food today! DH put on "Eye of the Tiger" to encourage me to chow down. I have a feeling I will be able to meet the weight targets without actually eating that many calories, since gaining weight has always been extremely easy for me.

Saef, do you get any time off for the holidays? If so, maybe you can spend some time visiting friends or take a stroll to enjoy holiday decorations outside. It might be a nice evening activity in any case if the weather is good.

Becky, a box of citrus sounds like a great gift! I hope when my parents' tangerines ripen (around March) they'll send me a box full of tangerines. Yum! We bought some clementines at the grocery last weekend and I have been devouring at least four of them each day.
  • I've sent out boxes of citrus in the past. We have a mandarin tangerine that usually yields 2 dozen fruit. A grapefruit with copious amounts of fruit and my in-laws have a tangelo that often yields several dozen. I'll get the largest USPS flat rate box and stuff it as full as I'm able (which is usually 5-6 grapefruit, 2-4 tangelos and all the extra space filled by the tiny tangerines). Everyone is usually quite grateful. And I am, too, because I can never eat all the grapefruit! We've trimmed our tree back several times, but it never ceases to amaze me how it can produce!
  • Jessica-- I suspect you'll have no trouble gaining weight either. Just focus on eating healthy, and see how you grow/gain. I wouldn't TRY to gain weight unless your doctor thinks you aren't gaining enough.

I gained 40 pounds with both of my pregnancies. One I was on bed rest for the majority of the pregnancy, the other I wasn't. I think 40 pounds is just what my body wanted to gain. Of course, I wasn't eating 100% healthy, but I'm sure I still would have gained close to that even if I did.
  • Congrats Jessica!! I have never wanted children but if I was SURE I could have twins I might reconsider - I'm a Gemini and have always been a little obsessed with twins!! Excuse the dumb question, but can they tell if they are identical or fraternal before they come out?

Just got back from a 6.1 mile run - again PAIN FREE!! Being able to run again has totally settled me! I feel totally at peace with the world! Hope it lasts!

Jen
  • Quote: Just got back from a 6.1 mile run - again PAIN FREE!! Being able to run again has totally settled me! I feel totally at peace with the world! Hope it lasts!
    That's really wonderful to hear, Jen. I hope it lasts, too!

Jessica, that sounds like a lot of food! I'm sure if you listen to your body and try to optimize nutrients you'll be ok. Cute how DH plans out all your food for the day, insists you take a big cooler, etc.

Saef, how was lunch? If you aren't able to take time off around the holidays, it sounds like a little vaca- or staycation are in order in the new year. It might be nice to take time off without the reconstruction of your apt & furnishings hanging over your head, now that that project is done with.

My sister's in-laws live in south FL and have several citrus trees and a mango tree that all grow delicious fruit. BF does have a mandarin orange tree in his yard that produces fruit some years, but he neglects it so we never know what the crop will be like. Living here I get access to really good citrus and berries when they're in season. I love it!

The Christmas party last night was fun, though perhaps not a maintenance success. My neighbor offered to drive us so my brain said "you have a DD! have a cocktail! or 3." I am very frustrated at my lack of willpower and follow-through regarding off-plan food & beverage items right now. Same old, same old, yadda yadda yadda. You've heard me say this before, and I've said it so much I'm boring myself.

I think everyone in my office has holiday-itis. The week is crawling along. I'm looking forward to my yoga class tonight, followed by guitar night at my friend's. Going to pick up an extra thick yoga mat and yoga DVD from my teacher for my dad's Christmas gift. He is really into yoga right now and I'm happy to encourage family members with health-oriented gifts when they ask for them.
  • Jen, they can't always tell if they're identical or fraternal, but in my case the ultrasound showed only one placenta which they are both attached to. If they were fraternal there would be two placentas (and there are two in some cases of identicals as well).

Now DH is completely freaking out. My appointment with the OB today was cancelled because she was at the hospital delivering a baby, and since I'm going on vacation tomorrow we had to reschedule for a little over a week from now, but he wanted to know what she was going to say about the nutrition/supplements/etc. So I had him call and talk to the nurse. Now he's extra stressed out because the nurse said basically, don't worry about all that stuff, I shouldn't take any of those supplements, and while the doctor yesterday said that tofu was fine to eat the nurse today said don't eat soy. Doctors can never agree on anything. So now DH is totally stressed out and feels like no matter what everything we do is wrong and will somehow hurt the babies. Up until now his depression hasn't made any appearances since finding out about the pregnancy but his current reaction is one of those excessive amounts of worrying that seems like he's maybe having an episode. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I thought talking to the nurse would make him feel better but it just made him feel worse!
  • Jessica~everything I've read about soy during pregnancy is that it is generally safe if eaten in moderation. One to two servings a day is moderate and shouldn't cause any problems. The key being moderation. Moderation is key in a lot of things! Overdoing anything can have consequences!
  • I'm sorry dh is freaking out Jessica. I hope he doesn't worry too much during your pregnancy. It is mind boggling how much they now tell you to omit or limit during pregnancy now. During my pregnancies, I just had to avoid smoking, drinking, and limit caffeine. Now you have to monitor fish, soy, etc! When my mom was PG with me, she smoked (don't know about drank), and only gained 12 pounds (I was over 7!)! My how times have changed....
  • Jessica, your doctor is the one that should have the final say. My suggestion to talk to your dh about his anxiety. Tell him that it is important that you be calm and not stressed and he can help you with tha by being calm himself. Assure him that you would never do anything to harm the babies in anyway.Tell him, also that if your OB was concerned about delaying your date she would have referred you to a colleague. I don't think a few days at this stage of your pregancy will be harmful. No, I am not a doctor or nurse , but I have been pregnant but never with twins. I wish you the best and healthiest of pregnancies.
  • Jessica - I'm entertained by you carrying a cooler full of food to work. LOL

Jen - yay for another run!

Becky - My mom sends us a citrus box every year. I love it.

Allison - jealous of you having a grapefruit tree in your backyard. I've eaten almost all of the ones my mom sent me and am already sad at how soon they will be gone.

Megan - right there with you on the holiday-itis.

I have to go discipline someone for decidedly inappropriate comments to a subordinate tomorrow, the larger of my 'fat' pants are tight today and my head is congested. I'm not in a particularly happy place.

Edit - I missed an entire page when I read this thread and replied. Jessica, second what bargoo said about talking to DH. Don't let him make you stressed out. Its mommy time.
  • Quote: Allison - jealous of you having a grapefruit tree in your backyard. I've eaten almost all of the ones my mom sent me and am already sad at how soon they will be gone.
    If you (or anyone else) wants to PM me with your address, I'll send you a box sometime in January. We always have more than we can eat!
  • Quote: Now DH is completely freaking out. My appointment with the OB today was cancelled because she was at the hospital delivering a baby, and since I'm going on vacation tomorrow we had to reschedule for a little over a week from now, but he wanted to know what she was going to say about the nutrition/supplements/etc. So I had him call and talk to the nurse. Now he's extra stressed out because the nurse said basically, don't worry about all that stuff, I shouldn't take any of those supplements, and while the doctor yesterday said that tofu was fine to eat the nurse today said don't eat soy. Doctors can never agree on anything. So now DH is totally stressed out and feels like no matter what everything we do is wrong and will somehow hurt the babies. Up until now his depression hasn't made any appearances since finding out about the pregnancy but his current reaction is one of those excessive amounts of worrying that seems like he's maybe having an episode. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I thought talking to the nurse would make him feel better but it just made him feel worse!
    Jessica Might I suggest getting DH busy with Carter once you get back from your holiday? Both of them will be feeling quite stressed as things progress with your pregnancy and you have less time for them. They can strengthen their bond and do "guy" stuff together to give you some peaceful time to enjoy being pregnant. Not that you don't want them to be there for you but sometimes you need a break, particularly since it sounds like they both have quite high levels of anxiety.

Dagmar
  • Quote: If you (or anyone else) wants to PM me with your address, I'll send you a box sometime in January. We always have more than we can eat!
    Oooo! I can totally do that!
  • Congrats on that pain free run, Jen (CherryPie99). My mind still boggles at 10 cats and 2 dogs.

I'm feeling so free on my second day without my leg cast. I still walk with a slight limp like I was wearing one - methinks I've trained my brain to think "cast" and now have to retrain it. Yay for solvable problems in life.

Christmas sweets continue to show up around here. My DW was offered a leftover platter of cookies at an event to "take home to Bill;" fortunately she declined - partially knowing that I didn't want to see them and partially knowing that when I didn't eat them she would. The dynamics of this household have changed since I started my journey; it's inconvenient that I'm no longer the sweeper who consumes all leftovers and unwanted sweets. It's not so flattering that I've been replaced with a compost bin, LOL.
  • Quote:
    Christmas sweets continue to show up around here. My DW was offered a leftover platter of cookies at an event to "take home to Bill;" fortunately she declined - partially knowing that I didn't want to see them and partially knowing that when I didn't eat them she would. The dynamics of this household have changed since I started my journey; it's inconvenient that I'm no longer the sweeper who consumes all leftovers and unwanted sweets. It's not so flattering that I've been replaced with a compost bin, LOL.
    I know you are commenting with tongue firmly in cheek Bill. I would be very glad that my SO thought enough about my health to no longer assign me the role of "garburator" (SP?) or to even bring the stuff home to tempt either of us. Glad your cast is off and that you are almost healed.

Dagmar