Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #16  
Chuggin' along...

I voted today. I was going to vote early but didn't quite get there, but also there's no need in this rural area. I voted at 8:00 AM and was the 27th person cast a ballot. There were 3 people voting, but no line at all. That's my kind of voting! I was very glad I researched the amendments ahead of time. There are 11 on the FL ballot and a few of them are incredibly long.

Michele, you always talk about how many other people use your library for various functions. Do you have a walled-off office, or is your work station out in the open? That really would be a constant inconvenience! I don't blame you at all for being annoyed by it.

Allison, one of my family's favorite recipes is Clam Spaghetti. My mom said she originally got it from a cookbook years ago that had 1 cup of olive oil (I think a full cup - if I'm remembering her story right) for 1 lb of pasta. She reduced it to 1/2 cup that became "the standard" family recipe, and I probably use about 1/4 cup or just over when I make it. Olive oil can be reduced, and it's still really tasty! (However it's so delicious that portion sizes are tough to control.) We have made this recipe for friends over the years and now our friends make it for their friends, etc. I still get texts from college friends that say "making your clam spaghetti tonight!"

How did Chico's vet visit go?

Last night was my cast's first night in the theatre with a real set. I think it's going to come together! I have a few errands to run today, get some last-minute picture frames, trash bags, make copies of playbill, random things like that, but I think it's going to work. There is some tension between one of the actors and the rest of the cast & crew that I'm trying to defuse before it gets serious. Have a great Tuesday all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
How did Chico's vet visit go?
All good. His white count had fallen from over 5000 to 2100 last month, but is back up to 4800 yesterday. His liver enzymes are a bit elevated and if that continues next month, they'll probably have to change his oral chemo drug.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I've voted. Some helpful folks were passing out hot coffee and donut holes. I passed on both - never did figure out which candidate was paying for that.

We had some six amendments to vote upon with violent arguments on both sides of several.

Hope they're able to vote in New York - weather sounds bad down there.

Glad your performance is coming together, Megan. Cast tensions seems to come with the stage.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post

Michele, you always talk about how many other people use your library for various functions. Do you have a walled-off office, or is your work station out in the open? That really would be a constant inconvenience! I don't blame you at all for being annoyed by it.
I'm right out in the open.

There was a gentleman (I use the phrase loosely) that was irate about voting. He wanted a guarantee that his vote would be hand-counted. He said the machines have a margin of error of 1.5% and he wanted assurance that his vote would be correct. He wouldn't leave until an official came as he wanted to fill out a formal complaint. I guess some people have nothing better to do.

There is still a horrible beeping but someone is at least looking at it now.

I'm glad Chico's bloodwork looks better Allison!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #20  

Quote:
I guess some people have nothing better to do.
That is how we feel about the guy who is suing us. Back story: we built a house (did the windows, doors, mirrors, shower doors, etc.). Man buys house. Man decides he'd prefer part of the garage turned into a guest house. Work was done. Bill was sent. Man didn't want to pay, decides to sue the builder--builder in turn sues all subs (us included). Fast forward 5 years. This has still not gone to court AND he's decided to also use the city, the developer of the country club and his new next door neighbors who want to build their house on the vacant lot. Meanwhile his wife divorced him and is now on "our" side and providing testimony against him. Meanwhile, he owns I believe NINE other houses--ALL of which he has lawsuits going on with. Talk about having nothing better to do!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #21  
Workin' It

I voted last week as I had classes scheduled all day today. The lines here have been inconsistent. My poll site has had long lines all day, but some others have reported no lines at all.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #22  

You know, it just dawned on me that NONE of us has said one thing pro or con for either presidential candidate.

I like that.

We are all proud to vote and promote each other's right to vote, and that's how it should be.

I belong to another chat board where there are some really foul things being said about both sides.

THIS board is much better!!!! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #23  
Workin' It

I wish I had a 'like' button for your comment, Allison.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

We didn't say anything about the candidates because 3fc told us not to.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #25  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yes, but it's also because no one "forgot themselves" and violated that policy.

I'm amused that I have to choose between waiting in line for gas or waiting in line to vote, because I probably can't accomplish both after work this evening. Of course, I'm choosing to vote & delay getting the tank filled till sometime tomorrow, if I can.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #26  
Workin' It

I agree Saef - I'm on a couple of other forums where we asked people not to talk specifics about the elections. I'm a mod on one of the HR ones and people continually 'forgot' that we had asked them not to stir stuff up politically. I deleted a lot of stuff the last few weeks.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
That is how we feel about the guy who is suing us. Back story: we built a house (did the windows, doors, mirrors, shower doors, etc.). Man buys house. Man decides he'd prefer part of the garage turned into a guest house. Work was done. Bill was sent. Man didn't want to pay, decides to sue the builder--builder in turn sues all subs (us included). Fast forward 5 years. This has still not gone to court AND he's decided to also use the city, the developer of the country club and his new next door neighbors who want to build their house on the vacant lot. Meanwhile his wife divorced him and is now on "our" side and providing testimony against him. Meanwhile, he owns I believe NINE other houses--ALL of which he has lawsuits going on with. Talk about having nothing better to do!
Mental illness comes in many forms.

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

So the buzzard called here today. He said he'd left his "intimate things" behind last week and demanded that I bring his glasses and address book to the palliative care place.

I was so taken aback that he would dare call, not apologize for the damage to my house, and then demand I run an errand that I said almost nothing.

I said I was busy working and would see what I could do. No address book - don't want any additional escape assistants recruited from same. I will drop the glasses eventually at the nursing station. I will never visit him again but I can drop off the occasional item.

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #29  

Hi gang,
Today is my 59th birthday. I had a Halloween blowout but am mostly maintaining. Today I want to eat moderately. I'll enjoy whatever I want within reason at my party this Friday and then back on maintenance. I'm learning to isolate special events and eat lightly between them, even as the holiday events pile up on me! Still nervous tho... right after my birthday I go to a three-day wedding convention with vast quantities of food at all three meals all three days... As my wife and I ask these days, ITWY? (Is this worth it?) For my birthday cake the answer is yes. For pancakes and bacon and sweet rolls for breakfast at a hotel convention, I'm going to say no. Wishing us all success! Nervously, Chris
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Chris, Happy Birthday !
Wishing you a successful and cautious 3 day trip.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote