Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think that given the way things were looking by Saturday morning, saef, you were doing the right thing to move your valuables and seek higher ground. And by now, it's really looking like a smart move!

In 2004, we were evacuating every two weeks because of hurricanes, and I was really tired of it by the end of the season. Fortunately everything turned out fine, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Hang in there. You have done all you could do. It's just a matter of waiting it out now.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad your mom is with you Saef. Still praying for you....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Our power was out from 2 to 8:30 yesterday. We lost two tree branches - one took out the rear window of the tenant's car. Small amount of water in the basement - surprisingly low for the amount of rain. Otherwise we're fine.

It's VERY calm right now. Can't wait for daylight to go inspect the neighborhood.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #19  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I'm sitting in this dark motel room at 6:15 AM, where, miraculously, the power NEVER went out, and the wireless wavered but came up often enough for me to continue obsessively checking the local news outlets.

I get better local news from the Internet than the TV with its limited menu of coverage mostly centered on Manhattan and New Jersey.

Also, I get even better news through social media, with friends and fellow residents checking in through email & on Facebook with status updates.

I have no idea what state my home or possessions are in, and won't for a few more hours.

I know that, as of 10 PM last night, we had a big 70-year-old oak tree down on the grounds, though not blocking the road, and also that the Sprain Brook rose up three feet but was not over the wall. (Yet, anyway.) But this news came before the surge & the tides.

Daylight will bring some clarity and answers, and will make my imagination subside and reality set in.

The thing is, I am okay and my mother is okay. We are high on a hilltop. The parking lot of the motel is a bare space like a rock outcrop and there were no trees near the building or our cars.

The news reports that people in the area died out there. They drove their cars into fallen trees, or trees fell on their homes and killed them.

And in Manhattan, the damage is worse than from any blizzard. What has happened there is historic and surpasses anything seen in living memory.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #20  
Girl Gone Strong

My apartment did NOT flood.

Waiting another half-hour to call storage facility to see if they were as fortunate. Who knew how the shoreline around the Greater NY area would change in such a short time?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Cheers for staying dry all night, saef.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #22  
Workin' It

I'm glad to hear that your apartment didn't flood and that you are well, Saef. Hope your possessions in the storage unit are as well.

Glad to hear that you are well, too Bill.

How is everyone else out there?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, have been concerned about you, thanks so much for keeping us posted.
Hoping all your furniture and other belongings stayed dry.
Bill, hoping that you don't have any more damage than you already have had.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #24  
No description available.

Glad to hear Bill, Saef and Kitty are well. So relieved your apt hasn't flooded, Saef!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Such good news to hear, saef. And Bill, sorry for the tree limb taking out the window of the tenant's car, but thankfully it sounds like you weathered the storm well, also. I've been on pins & needles wondering how everyone is.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad to hear that Saef and Kitty are okay! Glad your apartment didn't flood and fingers crossed for your storage unit.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #27  
Girl Gone Strong

The phone is out at the storage facility and I'm having trouble getting phone service, which doesn't surprise me.

I'm lingering at the motel a bit but, if the way looks safe, may try to venture back to the apartment complex. This is one of those situations where it's easy to get places on highways -- though not through bridges, tunnels or mass transit -- but where our leafy neighborhoods become impassable.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #28  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Saef, I'm so glad to hear your apartment did not flood! What a relief.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #29  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I'm taking the day off to work on play things from home and have been moderately productive this morning. Emma is not excited that we haven't been on a substantial walk, though. I texted w my mom who says they have no power but are fine. My sister surprisingly has power but says their heat is off. I think it's gas heat, but their gas stove is fine. Again surprisingly, someone is coming to look at it today. I've resisted turning on the tv but have seen a barrage of amazing photos from facebook. My friends all seem to be fine. Thankfully. I know there are a lot of people out there who aren't fine.

Saef, glad your apartment has been spared. But it might not be safe to walk around. Please watch out for downed power lines that may still be live. I also wonder about continued winds downing more trees and flash flooding, though I don't know the layout of your area. Until utility companies have been able to assess and secure it is still dangerous out there. I'm glad you, mom, and your apt are dry though, and hope your storage unit is also!

Bill, glad damage is minimal where you are as well!

Stay safe in the aftermath, everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We had the power out from 11:30 p.m. to after I left for work this morning - 8 a.m. or so. Managed to save my 30% off sirloin tip roast and have had it in the slow cooker since my morning break. Mudpie cried in the hall during the night before I let her into the bedroom and our bed to get warm - down to 62 degrees in the house. She is so skinny now she gets cold all the time.

I did the nice thing and let DH use the remaining hot water for a shower this morning. People have to sit in an office with him - I'm outside so nowhere near as stinky.

Lots of wind and waves at the beach but nowhere near as bad as I thought. The parks are all covered in leaves and sticks and branches and I saw 4 mature large trees downed in the neighbourhood where I work. Power lines down too and police cars guarding them.

Two rain showers today and that was about it. We also had about 30 minutes of beautiful blue sky and sun (!) this morning.

The water surge in NYC harbour produced a wave 32 feet high - holy cr*p! Glad everyone here survived with small or no damage.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote