Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That sounds yummy Allison!
Done with book fair and at the airport. Got here hours early but I was afraid of Friday traffic. I'm so tired I want to cry. I walked all over the airport so at least I got some movement. I just feel like eating. I bought and ate my candy of choice. I don't think I've had candy in five years. Literally.

My pet sitter texted adorable pics of my cuties. She is amazing already. She took both dogs for a walk and sent me detailed info on how they're doing!

There was an earlier flight but it was full so I have to sit. Oh well. It's a nice airport anyway. Now not to eat anymore. If I'm tempted, I have snacks.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I've given up the battle against the Halloween chocolates. I am so tired and anxious all the time and the car accident and subsequent fallout from that, on top of all the house selling stuff and funeral planning and work and everything else has left me eating chocolates in the evening and not really caring about it.

I am going to allow myself to let the diet and maintenance go until the end of October. I have so many plates spinning in the air (and a few of those crashing to the ground already) that one more is overwhelming.

See you all in November.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dagmar, did I miss that your father had passed away ? You mention funeral planning, are you referring to him ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #49  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I wondered that, too, but Bargoo, when my father was dying, the hospice workers urged us to do the planning ahead of time.

A neighbor sat with him when we visited the funeral home, because this was the only time that both of us left him alone at the same time. We were gone two hours, all of it spent talking with the funeral director. He was upset by this and tried to call my mother's cellphone, but she'd turned it off.

My father died the very next morning.

Last edited by saef; 10-20-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Sorry, I addressed Dagmar (who knows this perfectly well already) but mean Bargoo.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #50  

Good luck Dagmar and we will miss you! Wishing you and yours peace in this extremely rough time. We hope you'll be easy on yourself because in times like this life has not been easy to you.
On a lighter note, I've been amused that my "maintenance isn't autopilot" comment got so many responses. What I'm learning is that we can't vote on whether maintenance can be autopilot or not. If we could vote, I would vote for a steamed kale/cauliflour/broccoli dish that tastes and feels exactly like a chocolate hot fudge brownie sundae!
Truth is, maintenance is hard. I look at all the challenges so many of us face even with all the support we're getting here. Yesterday I was perfect and the scale showed me gaining a pound and a half! Then I get bummed out and want to say to **** with it. I still fight chocolate cravings.
Today I read that 50 million people are going on a diet this year, and only 10% of them maintain their weight loss. That's because it's hard to do. For once I want to be in that 10% like my wife has been for 29 years! And I'm writing obvious things in my posts because I have to learn them for myself. "Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." --Admiral Hyman Rickover. And "with a little help from my friends." --Ringo Starr
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #51  

I agree maintenace is hard IMO harder than losing. That has been my story over the years, I could lose but I couldn't keep it off. I have been more succesful this time and I attribute this to the support and motivation I get from 3FC members. Thanks, everybody for your wise counsel.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #52  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending supportive thoughts, Dagmar, for all the plates in the air and raw emotions abounding.

If it's possible, consider just reading the two maintenance threads so that you can hear our unwavering support as you plow through rough times.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Sorry should have been clearer - my dad is still with us. Called my house today and demanded that I "get him out of this mess I've put him in". I assume that means the process of dying? - and SIGH.

I am pre-planning while there's money in my father's account to cover the costs. I barely made it - $96 left over after a pretty basic cremation plan. I'm so glad he paid for the niche for his urn years ago - that would have sent me far far into debt had he not.

Thanks dad!

I will read when I can - thanks everyone!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Maintenance is hard! Just as hard as losing, or even more so.

Tonight I'm tackling a new recipe. Not that I'm gluten intolerant, but I don't like how high in calories bread and pasta is. I know how good zucchini is in lieu of spaghetti or lasagna, so tonight I'm making bread sticks out of cauliflower. It isn't a huge savings due to all the mozzarella cheese in it (as well as eggs, so probably a bit high in fat, too). Hope it works.

Tomorrow I'm doing a chuck roast in the crock pot, roasted green beans and a butternut squash tart that I saw on Epicurious that sounded divine.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #55  

alinell that does sound DELICIOUS!
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Yum Allison. What time should we be there?

I'm hanging out in the student union with dd's iPad. Older dd and dh left to drive from Tucson to Phoenix and then fly to Spokane. I'm staying in Tucson till tomorrow then I will take a shuttle to Phoenix and fly home.

Yesterday I went to a Mormon baptism and this morning we are going to church. I had to buy a new dress last night so my shoulders won't show! I found a cute dress on sale for $25 that I can wear to work as well. After church I'm hoping to check out the hotel gym as I'm feeling quite puffy from eating off plan and no exercise for a few days.

Happy Sunday to all!

I'm thinking strong positive thoughts for you, Dagmar.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #57  

Anytime anyone wants to visit, let me know and I'll have all the ingredients waiting to make the soup!

Michele~I'm flying into Phoenix on Friday for the Phoenix Jazz Festival. The headliner is Jamie Foxx and the Phoenix Philharmonic. Should be a fun weekend.

Waiting on my in-laws who are currently at an adoption event. They lost their cat last summer and are looking to rescue a new cat or kitten. I think they were hoping to adopt Cully, but I think he's much too wild. Had we been able to trap him when he was much younger, I think it would have worked.

I have a roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight. I'll roast some green beans to go with it and then I'm making a butternut squash tart as a side. It sounded really interesting and good.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #58  

I am really, really mad right now.

Last April I purchased tickets to see The Book of Mormon at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. I've been there only once before and it is such a beautiful venue. I paid close to $2000 for the tickets for the six of us to go.

A couple months ago I contacted the Pantages Theater to see when I'd get the tickets. I was told they would be sent within 2 weeks of the show (which is November 3rd).

I just got a phone call from "Ticket Software" which said that they could not contact the seller of my tickets (purchased from itickets.com) and that I should contact my credit card company and open a dispute.

I did all that (thankfully American Express and they are wonderful to work with). But it appears that I won't get my tickets and I won't be able to see the show that we've all been looking forward to. So upset. So disappointed. So mad.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #59  

Allison that is pretty crummy, Is there any explanation why they can't get your tickets to you ? Did they oversell ? I imagine they have had no trouble using your $2000 for the past few months I would be mad, too.