Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sorry about the dog, Janelle. That's sad.

saef~that has got to be so frustrating! On another board someone said to me that they thought I was really patient (about adopting a dog) and I said I may be patient but I'm very frustrated.

So we're learning a bit more about Misty and her quirks. She thinks it's more fun to take things away from Chico than to choose something for herself. So every toy or bone he picks up, she steals from him. He's very patient and allows her to do it, but if he tries to get it back she growls. She is not food aggressive, though--just a little with her toys (especially bones). She barked at one of the cats that sniffed a little too close to the bone she was guarding last night--didn't chase or anything, just made her point known that it was hers. Her kennel cough seems to be getting better but each morning she coughs up quite a bit of phlegm but she was not coughing at all when we got home from work.

What's really funny--we took the dogs out to play fetch and Chico, with only three legs, can outrun Misty!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #17  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

The worst of Isaac has steered clear of us. It is windy, very rough on the water, and we do have about 3 inches of water underneath the house, but were prepared for that and moved the vehicles to higher ground and the power is still on. I took yesterday off but came in to work today. My uncertainty is for the bridge I have to take to my house. They aren't supposed to close it until we get 50 mph winds but for the last storm (TS Debby) they closed it around 30 mph, so I'm wary of leaving... don't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the bridge if they close it early. I will probably just take Emma up the street and change from my boots to my shoes at my car to walk her later.

My goal was to tire her our before the storm, so from Friday night to Monday AM we walked 16 miles. She was sort of tired yesterday... back to her antics today. I am tired though! Hopefully I burned a good amount of calories. It really hasn't rained much here, though, nothing like the deluge we got earlier this summer with Debby, so I should be able to walk her in sunshine later.

Janelle, sorry about the dog. It is a difficult situation but it is so hard to try to deal with and find a home for a dog with animal aggression. How is your pet that she attacked?

Allison, I'm sure Misty and Chico will fall into a companionable routine. Glad to hear Chico still has his speed!

Jen, as long as you get psycho kitty fixed, I'm sure you gave him a better chance at life than he otherwise would have. And he'll keep your rodent population down. Just Sunday I saw one of our neighborhood cats bolting across the street with some kind of field mouse-looking creature in her mouth.

I hope your #s are better! I have high cholesterol, unfortunately, and as it runs in my dad's family I can only think there is a genetic component (at least my individual #s are good - HDL "good" is high, "bad" is low in its range etc). My friends just don't understand and wonder how I can eat any more veggies or exercise more. I can only console myself by telling myself if I still weighed 210 lbs, it would be much higher. Let us know what your doctor reports.

Saef, I'm keeping my fingers crosses that you will be able to roast a batch of veggies in your oven this weekend.

Becky, sounds like you are quite busy! Good luck with it all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Megan , hope Isaac stays away from your home. I share that high cholesteral problem with you , I am dong everything right. I asked my doctor , how can this be, her answer "genetics".
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #19  
Workin' It

Wow - I miss yesterday and the thread is long!

My DH has that same genetic high cholesterol problem - his doctor continues to hammer him about going on statins, but we would really rather he not do that. He has a physical coming up next month and if is has held stable or dropped some over the last several years results we are going to tell his doctor to drop the statin discussion for now.

Saef - I also hope that they get your gas back on soon. That is all kinds of annoying.

Megan - glad that Isaac missed you. Whew.

Janelle - I'm sorry about the foster dog. Sadness.

Allison - Misty looks precious! I'm glad that she is getting along with Chico.

Jen - welcome! Wow, 10 cats. My one cat drives us crazy sometimes.

Krampus - good job holding the weight! Sorry about your friend leaving.

I'm tired this week. TOM is in full force, and today I had my 'just turned 40' mammogram. I hate those things. And I was already grumpy which didn't help. It is raining here, which is putting a kink in my going for a run plans for after work. Maybe I'll just run in the rain. Might help with the grumpy.

to everyone I missed!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Shannon, I just turned 40 and I'm hoping the doc doesn't say the word mammogram when I see him tomorrow. I have extremely tiny boobies, so hopefully he'll forget about them LOL

I'm feeling frustrated and cranky today. I've have been RAVENOUS the last 2 days and trying to keep my eating in check and then am up a pound today

Don't know what is going on with me!

I ran 6 miles during my lunch hour and it was HUMID so hopefully I burned off a bunch of cals!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #21  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I've successfully ducked the cholesterol issue despite tending high like all of my maternal relatives. Apparently four generations of cardiac-free and stroke-free lives into the late 90's still carries some weight. . A big piece of that is having an educated doctor who reads the studies funded by the pharmaceutical industry with the same critical eye. Same with mammograms ... he supports my right to gamble on thermography and MRI instead, given my unique situation of tiny dense boobs, two false positives, and thanks to my LAST mammogram four years ago, a lingering injury. There are options, it just depends on your comfort level and what you're willing to pay.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #22  

DH is the one with the bad cholesterol. He's on statins and has been for two years or so. He's prone to taking his doctor's advice over his own research. A couple of years ago I was borderline high and my doctor (who likes to do research) said I should stay away from statins and gave me a more holistic approach. So far it's working as the numbers are better than they were. My Mom always had high cholesterol, but I attribute that to her affair with ice cream and fresh fruit with heavy cream.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #23  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I have great cholesterol numbers, but my evil doctor STILL prescribes a tiny dose of statins, which he believes are preventative.

Seeing him tomorrow, and begging for a resumption of antidepressants. I ran out two weeks ago. Blame my getting meds through the mail, as my health plan wants me to, but also undergoing a change of address, and the trouble of getting this change of address put through the system. I believe I am actually going through withdrawal without the antidepressants, as some sensations when I turn my head sharply resemble what I went through with Paxil withdrawal many years ago. Also there's a similar feeling of exhaustion & trouble sleeping.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #24  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Ruby has 2 nasty puncture wounds on her right leg, one up high on the front and the other in the armpit.

I took her to work yesterday and we cleaned her up and shaved the bite wounds. Got her on Cephalexin, she'll heal. She is a little drama puss however. If you're not looking she can run all over and be fine, give her a bit of attention and she has the paw in the air.

I've fostered lots of dogs before and some were great and some were a trial, but I eventually got through to them and they turned out great and got re homed, except for Kirby, who was weird and we kept him.

But this one, WOOF! When she locked on something, all bets were off.

Anywho, weighed in tonight at WW 137.8, still running under goal. WW rolled out a product similar to fitbit but much less expensive, bought one we'll see. I'm curious, because I wear my WW pedomometer every day and I added up my steps for the last week today, a shade over 100,000 for the last 7 days. We've been that busy at work, that's been the average all summer.

Cherry pie, on the mammo, I have very large girls, does not hurt but the darn thing is colder than the arctic in December. Plus the first time I had one, they got me all smooshed up and cranked down and then got called away, I stood there with my poor boobie stuck for about 5 minutes. As I stood there stuck, I was checking out the buttons and knobs and wondering if I could get myself loose, but was afraid, I'd hit the wrong thing and flatten and then explode my poor girl.

Other than that, I haven't found it to be that bad. I did brave having another one and it was ok.

Saef, while I'm not on whatever gas you have, we are on propane, not something to mess around with. I get your frustration, but better safe than a flaming baked Alaska!

Ladies, remind me to tell you the long story of the truck driver and the sick dog. *rolls eyes* It still isn't even over yet, why I need a reminder!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #25  

Walking away while you're still in the contraption? That is uncalled for, Janelle. I would have filed a complaint. Thankfully I've never had a bad mammo experience other than a call back (twice) for an ultrasound when they thought they had seen something.

I'm thinking Misty is on the last of her kennel cough. She's very quiet this morning. She had a couple smaller episodes of hacking in the night but didn't hack up as much phlegm. This morning's phlegm is much reduced. She's really a good girl. Yesterday we were outside and a neighbor's dog was yapping and she did one loud bark--with her hackles up. I said No Misty and she turned to me and happily (and quietly) trotted away. We're making small strides in getting her to accept the doggy door.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #26  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I will not ever take statins, no matter what any doctor says, no matter what they prescribe. I do not have familial high cholesterol, and my numbers are good.

I do not believe in statins as a "preventive" where high cholesterol isn't present. That is just fuzzy thinking and is irresponsible, IMO. Why would you take something that kicks the **** out of your liver when there is nothing wrong?

Thanks for listening.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #27  

janelle, I wish I lived near you and could adopt a dog you have fostered. I am presently looking for a new best friend of the four legged type. I will get a rescue dog, as I have done before. The SPCA lady suggested I get a dog from a shelter, in her opinion you get a better dog because the shelter does temperment testing and will not allow a dog to be adopted if they show signs of aggression, etc. I think I prefer a dog that has been fostered as foster family knows the dog better and can give you the facts. We will see. I do love the bigger dogs which I have had in the past, German Shepherds and Boxers in particular, but in this stage of my life I need a small dog, an apartment dog, we will see what happens.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #28  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Janelle, I was thinking of you earlier this morning while standing in front of the mammography machine, getting my breasts squished between two plates of glass like a microscope specimen. The technician was really excited about the machine, which does 3D imaging, and that interested me, because last year I had to work on a report on 3D computing, mostly in manufacturing. So I tried to distract myself by thinking about the wonders of technology, though sometimes I pretend I'm on "America's Next Top Model" and Jay Manuel is posing me.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #29  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I have major munchies today and am trying to eat my healthful, filling, delicious foods I've packed instead of diving into whatever junky snack I can find around the office. I am PMS-ing and bored of being stuck in the office... not helping. My coworker just suggested making a pitcher of iced tea, unsweetened, so maybe that will help. I'm not at all hungry, it's not about that, so I'm trying to sit on my hands... and just remind myself that the junk will make me tired, and I don't need that.

Speaking of munchies, did you ladies know that you can pop plain popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave, with nothing added? I tried this last week and it worked! I need to get a misto so I can lightly spray olive oil instead of dousing. I have some herb popcorn seasoning and just tried nutritional yeast as a topping - actually quite tasty! You have to add something to help it stick though, hence my wanting to try the misto. I have been trying to give up the microwave bagged stuff - even the 94% fat free or 100 cal packs have a bunch of chemicals. What are your favorite healthy "munchies" snacks? I like popcorn if I don't add too much, salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas, homemade whole wheat pita chips (gotta watch the portion though), pita and hummus. Maybe I will add some recipes to the recipes sticky in this forum and hope others will share. I could use some new ideas.

I agree with Jay. Statins as a preventative? Seems like ** to me. I need to get another cholesterol test done to see if I've made progress since last summer. The one area of my life/health that could use improvement to help cholesterol levels is stress, which is why I took up yoga last year. I've stopped drinking crystal light and drink unsweetened green or black iced tea instead. But I already eat tons of veggies, oatmeal for breakfast 80% of days, whole grains, nuts, exercise a lot, and don't eat a lot of fatty red meat or junk foods. (The popcorn doused in oil/butter is not an everyday occurrence.)

My girls are quaking in their cups at all the mammo talk. I'm a few years away from that, thankfully. My grandmother died of breast cancer so I will probably start getting it done early, though.

shcirerf, I hope Ruby's wounds recover quickly. Lucky you work for a vet.

Shannon, did you run? Hope you are less grumpy today. Sometimes you know you're grumpy and just can't seem to shake it... things just aren't going right. I try to go to bed early and just start afresh the next day when that happens.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #30  

When I am feeling grumpy I just want to stay grumpy and no one can talk me out of it. I'm not very pleasant to be around when the grumpiness sets in.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-29-2012 at 12:39 PM.