Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

All I can say is that if the feral pigs went sterile, then give it to more of them. They are a horrible scourge in Hawaii. But I don't believe that the story is true.

"Genetically modified" is such a broad term that it's hard to know whether a particular organism is of any danger or not. It depends on how it has been modified, and there are many different ways. If this GM corn has pest resistance "built in," then that might not be a bad thing. But if it has had protein genes "built in" from other organisms, such as soy, then that might have implications for allergies.

What I don't understand is why they would grow corn for ethanol when they can probably grow sugarcane for ethanol just as easily. Oh well--I'm sure there's a story there.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
All I can say is that if the feral pigs went sterile, then give it to more of them. They are a horrible scourge in Hawaii. But I don't believe that the story is true.

"Genetically modified" is such a broad term that it's hard to know whether a particular organism is of any danger or not. It depends on how it has been modified, and there are many different ways. If this GM corn has pest resistance "built in," then that might not be a bad thing. But if it has had protein genes "built in" from other organisms, such as soy, then that might have implications for allergies.

What I don't understand is why they would grow corn for ethanol when they can probably grow sugarcane for ethanol just as easily. Oh well--I'm sure there's a story there.

Jay
There is very little to any sugarcane growing in Hawaii any longer--at least where we were. This was in Kauai. And they did say that this was the pest resistant corn--I don't know if they've added extra protein.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #18  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Must be the Bt variety, and it's engineered to produce the Bt toxin. Problem with it is that the structures generating that toxin don't break down in digestion. Genetic engineering through careful breeding is fine ... this stuff is a hybrid of corn and "not corn". Look into the "Roundup-ready" soybeans, sugar beets and corn - that's the stuff of bad dreams. The crops of super weeds learning to be resistant to it are really scary.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Bella's big adventure

I walk a young black lab named Bella. Monday her owner emailed me that she was going in to the hospital for tests and could I pick Bella up at her place and drop her at the ex-husband's after the walk for the rest of the week?

No problem. Except when I got there Bella had been jumping up and down on the outside sunporch door and had slid the bolt into place. She had access to the apartment - inside door was open - but I couldn't get her out! I had to leave her there, Bella barking hysterically. Went back to my dog sit and got the only ladder I could find - a 2 step kitchen one. I thought I could cut the screen, slide in the sunporch window, and unbolt the door.

The window was too high for my teeny ladder, but I did get a good look and confirmed that the bolt was shot. Looking at the set up I would have to get a full stepladder, unscrew 6 screws holding the screen to the window frame (these are huge windows), pull the screen off, climb in through the window opening, and rescue the little muffin. Called my client's daughter and asked her to call the super of the building and explain the problem. I had to get on with the rest of my day but would swing back later to grab Bella.

The super called a locksmith, who came, popped the lock out, reached through the hole in the door with his finger, and jiggled the bolt loose.

When I came to get Bella around 3:30 p.m. she was happily lying beside the door, watching the super trying to replace the lock, I suggested that he remove the bolt, lest this happen again. I took Bella over to the park and then to her new temporary home. She was happy and bouncy and completely unaware of the chaos she had created. Nice to be a dog!

Good hump day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

What a story. That's accepting a serious level of responsibility in your job.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #21  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Allison, as I understand it the issue is that you can't isolate GMO crops. Pollination, wind, etc. tends to mix up the crops between neighboring fields, so if someone is growing GMO corn for ethanol and the next field over is growing organic sweet corn, there are all sorts of issues that come up.

That said, IMO the biggest issue with GMO crops isn't that they might be bad to eat (maybe they are, maybe not, I don't know) but it's that the round-up-ready and pest-resistant varieties are just going to result in the evolution of weeds and pests. Kind of like how now we get antibiotic-resistant bacteria. I saw an article a while back about a weed that is now coming up in fields all over and is a big problem because it can't be killed by round-up either.

So basically the problems are: 1) GMO corn will end up in non-GMO fields, and 2) weeds and pests will evolve to be stronger.

Dagmar, glad you got the doggie out okay!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
So basically the problems are: 1) GMO corn will end up in non-GMO fields, and 2) weeds and pests will evolve to be stronger.
That sums it up pretty well. Thank you!

We weathered a high of 119 yesterday and this morning it's already 90 and cloudy. Heat is bad enough but heat and humidity is horrible!

I take Chico in for his 5th chemo treatment today. I wonder how much he weighs now. The oncologist wanted him to gain, so gain he did, and now we've stopped all the extra treats and food and I think he's still gaining! He certainly isn't svelte any longer!

Dagmar~I think I'd be afraid of trying to get the dog myself--someone might see me "breaking in" and get me arrested! Glad you solved the problem!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I bought some tomatoes, red, ripe and gorgeous. These are the toughest things I have ever seen, I tried peeling them but that is too difficult. I think the only way I can redeem them is to cook them, other than tomato sauce any ideas ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #24  
Workin' It

Roast them. Or maybe parboil enough to peel?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #25  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

You have to blanche tomatoes to peel them. That means, get some water to a boil and then dunk each tomato in for 15 seconds, then take it out and put it into cold water. They will peel much easier.

Jay
Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
You have to blanche tomatoes to peel them. That means, get some water to a boil and then dunk each tomato in for 15 seconds, then take it out and put it into cold water. They will peel much easier.

Jay
I just want to be able to slice them, these tomatoes have skin like buffalo hides. These are not the first tomatoes I have ever used but these are really tough. My idea now is to cook them but the only thing I can think of is tomato sauce or tomato soup.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #27  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Oh, OK. Do you have a serrated knife? Sometimes that will do it.

Jay
Old 07-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #28  

Tomato Saga Part 3.

I gave up and blanched them they are now in the refrigerator chilling before I slice them
In case you re wondering of my obsession with tomatoes,my plan is to :
Slice them, arrange them prettily on a plate, drizzle with my favorite Girard's Champagne Dressing and sprinkle Feta over the top. Garnish with Arugula.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-11-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #29  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Roast them.
With your next batch, Bargoo, do what Shannon told you and you will be a happy woman. I just discovered roasted tomatoes myself this past summer. You slice them into circles, put a bit of olive oil and some basil on top, maybe a dab of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and then roast away till they carmelize at the edges. (Carmelize is one of those words that makes me salivate instantly.) Smells heavenly. And does incredible things for any dish that you add them to.

I'm going through all kinds of emotional ups and downs over my impending move. At one moment, I'm aggravated and pessimistic. At the next, something finally works out and I'm happy. I'm feeling the latter emotion at the moment, having finally reached the guy who's hanging wallpaper at a neighbor's. He's willing to stop by my place on the weekend and give me a quote for putting up wallpaper border in my living room and dining room once he's done with my neighbor's job.

Also, we have a potential mover whose name we got through a really great antique shop in the area whose owner I've known for many years now. But he's off at Brimfield for the week, so I haven't spoken with him yet. (I feel like I've written this here elsewhere -- if I have, I apologize.) I have a little chant going in my head: Please, please, sir, take on this job, say you'll do it right away, and price your services fairly.

Now, what to put in the minivan when I drive down this weekend? Flat-screen, yes. Carpets? A small table or two. The custom-cut glass tops for two tables? I'm trying to remember what I'm capable of carrying on my own. This is one of those moments when my strength training is actually going to come in handy -- I hope.

Last edited by saef; 07-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #30  

Shannon,saef, thanks for the tomato roasting suggestions I will try that next time.
saef, sounds like moving day is getting near. So exciting ! What a long ordeal you have had.