3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Staying Slim for Summer Part II (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/258693-maintainers-staying-slim-summer-part-ii.html)

ICUwishing 06-29-2012 02:59 PM

Went to see REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Ted Nugent last night. It was hot - but the music was awesome! All of these guys are getting old, yet they look great and continue to sound great. Derek St. Holmes came back after 20 years to sing with Ted - he hasn't lost a thing!

exhale, thanks - that was a great find. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing this weekend.

krampus, nice trends! Glad to hear it's been going so well and you're in the groove!

bargoo, sorry to hear about the migraine - they can wreck a day's plans really fast. I am happy the scale is cooperating and reflecting your unflagging efforts!

michele, I reluctantly agree, there's nothing new about obsessive behavior - it's just whether we channel it toward the positive or negative aspects of our health. "Choose your hard." Why does it always come back to that? :lol:

Mudpie 07-02-2012 06:12 AM

I gain weight with adding in as little as 300 extra cals per day :(. That's 2100 cals per week so I shouldn't gain 2 lbs. in one week :shrug: but I do. This past weekend proved that yet again. SIGH. I keep thinking that I can just "watch" what I eat. No I can't. :mad:

My hard is having to constantly monitor myself every single day. There is something inside me that rebels :tantrum: against that. And then I go downstairs and look in the full length mirror with my skinny jeans on. If I am over 135 I have a distinctive muffin top. Under 135 and it's gone.

Is it worth it to not have the muffin top? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Dagmar :dizzy:

ICUwishing 07-02-2012 09:56 AM

Dagmar, I hear ya! It sucks to have to find that diligence balance; no matter what we settle for, it's going to need some effort. I had to laugh at myself pretty hard yesterday - I joined that 4th of July challenge and all it did was make the valley deeper and the peak higher. I'm basically the same weight I started at! My muffin-top goes away below 151, and the cellulite below 148.

So, here we begin the second half of 2012. I am two pounds lighter and quite a bit stronger than I started the year ... that's good news. My hard is to find the last few changes that if done consistently, will let me drift down to 148. I don't see myself changing my WOE much more, thus, I have to make lifestyle modifications to get more active.

bargoo 07-02-2012 10:41 AM

I can't see much less eating for me either. I have made a few adjustments ,instead of Greek yogurt that is about 130 calories I am eating Activia or Lite and Fit at 70-80 calories, almond milk at 35 calories, instead of non fat milk at 90 calories . I only want to lose about 5 more pounds but it is just refusing to go. PS even when I lose that 5 pounds the muffin top remains.

traveling michele 07-02-2012 10:50 AM

So frustrating! I was maintaining under 120 for months and now I can't seem to get back there. I was 121 this morning, but my happy weight is 118. Only 3 pounds but I'm working so hard! Saturday I did 70 minutes of spinning plus 100 minutes of a high powered hip hop class. Yesterday I hiked for an hour, and sweat in bikram yoga for 90 minutes. I ate 100 percent on plan all weekend, and am down less than half a pound. I have a pooch over 120. It's still there under but much less noticeable. I leave for my vacation later this week and really want to be lower before I leave as I will definitely loosen up my eating on the trip. Keep on keeping on!

krampus 07-02-2012 10:57 AM

Horrible carb hangover from the weekend. Somehow the scale was at 128.6 this morning which is much less "bad" than I expected (I was ready for 130+). I feel like GARBAGE and can't wait for vegetables. I have summer rolls, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs and blueberries for lunch. An "emergency" PB&J in case I need to carbload before the gym tonight, but I doubt that will end up being necessary or even desired.

The 2 friends we were visiting in Montreal are lanky French guys with low body fat who sit around eating bread and drinking beer all day every day. One of them has a totally sedentary lifestyle. He has gained maybe 5-10 pounds since he came to North America in February, but is still very thin and somehow has a visible six-pack. Speaking of NOT FAIR...sigh.

ICUwishing - sounds like a rad show! Did they play all the classics? Challenges have pretty much no motivational value for me, either...

Dagmar - Daily monitoring definitely makes me want to lash out, too. Weekends are tough, I start out almost every week feeling gross and bloated.

Exhale - Glad the podcast is shedding new light. Weight loss really ISN'T fair.

bargoo - hope you feel better now!

alinnell 07-02-2012 12:46 PM

I've been making so so choices on vacation. Fruit,! And eggs Benedict. Oh well we're headed to the gym more and then will laze by the pool

bargoo 07-02-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alinnell (Post 4391150)
I've been making so so choices on vacation. Fruit,! And eggs Benedict. Oh well we're headed to the gym more and then will laze by the pool

So you made it to your ship ! Eggs benedict sounds pretty good to me, too.....not having any, though .

Shannon in ATL 07-03-2012 01:05 PM

Becky - I do well with challenges, at least from an accountability standpoint. I joined a big one that started on 6/1, and while my exercise is better I am right now back up to 2 pounds under what I weighed in December. Meh.

I got to 132 in April and I liked it. I felt slim and muffin top free. I would prefer 128, but I think that I have some extra muscle mass that I want to keep that will prohibit that. Today I was 139.8. If I could just go a week with better eating I think I could shed some of the sodium and see where reality lies...

ICUwishing 07-04-2012 04:53 PM

Krampus, the 3 bands played for four hours and there wasn't a single song I didn't know. Hear ya on the carb hangover - have returned from 5 days of camp food and need a break! I am hungry for salad ...

Shannon, I looked that challenge over and respect you immensely for taking it on! :dizzy:

Bargoo, I left the cow's milk behind too. Love that almond milk! I need to work on finding just one more smart substitute for something I eat often and has room for improvement. Hm.

Allison, so-so is pretty darn good for a cruise. What's the best new tasty good choice you've had so far?

Michele, you'll get back there - keep plugging away!

Not much to report ... except I had a great time kayaking with DS12 on Monday for a couple hours. We saw a pair of loons with two young babies, a deer having a drink at the lake, and some bigggg fish jumping. Oh, are my shoulders whining! We of course had to see how fast we could get them going. I've enjoyed every experience I've had in a kayak ... and I think it's time to formalize a plan to get one. :D.

Mudpie 07-04-2012 06:27 PM

Becky DH and I have been kayaking together for close to 10 years now. He built his own from wood. I am NOT that handy and bought a beautiful fibreglass 16 footer, after struggling through lessons in some huge rotomolded tubs. I bought used and will again buy used - one of the best $2000 I've ever invested.

bargoo 07-05-2012 09:23 AM

Scale was down a lttlle bit today, just a tad under goal, now if it will keep going just a little more.

traveling michele 07-05-2012 11:03 AM

I leave for Florida in 45 minutes. So very frustrated with the scale/myself. Not at all where I want to be. I'm struggling with how to handle myself on the trip. I really would have liked to indulge a bit on the trip but I'm afraid of what might happen if I allow that. I'll be gone for 9 days so it is long enough to do some real damage. I think I'll try to keep the indulgences to the minimum, make sure I get plenty of exercise, and make good choices whenever possible. I also need to focus on only eating when hungry. I think that will be less of a problem than when I'm home though. I just hope all of my cute beach clothes and bikinis fit okay. I won't get to Miami until 11 pm tonight assuming all goes as planned so exercise and food will be a challenge for sure. Dh used points to upgrade us to first class so I'll enjoy that but I'll have to be careful with what they serve!

krampus 07-05-2012 12:48 PM

Ohhhh kayaking! I would love to do that soon. I reserved a campsite for a weekend on Cape Cod in August - I'm super excited for coastal birdwatching.

michele, hope you can have a relatively stress-free vacation. Maybe you'll defy science and break through the plateau while relaxing and eating delicious food.

saef 07-07-2012 07:18 AM

Krampus, I went to the Wellfleet Audubon two days ago, and it was all about Willets. (With a few green herons thrown in here & there, but I see those guys at our local ponds Upstate & so while they are old friends, they excited me much less.) I have seen a Willet here & there before, but not in profusion, as at this trip. The Audubon is a Willet nesting site. For a shorebird, they're big. And they remind me that monochromatic things can be lovely. They are dappled gray up top but the underwings are made up of dramatic black and white chevrons.

The Wellfleet Audubon is a wonderful place. You walk out of pine and a white oak & black oak forest, typical of the Outer Cape, and emerge into a salt marsh, and eventually, out to the beach. It's like $5 to access the trails through the nature center building, which is a pleasant facility. A definite Cape bargain. I recommend it unreservedly.

August will be well into the shorebird migration and I am trying to think what would be coming through. I am such an inlander.

Wellfleet was all breezes, smell of fried seafood from Mac's on the pier, honeysuckle, blue hydrangeas in the front yards, white-painted cottages, weathered gray shingles, beach roses, low-tide stench off Kendrick, men on bikes, women in woven hats, galleries with Hopperesque oils in the windows, little stained glass things to hang in windows revolving slowly, jewelry made of beach glass, etc.

My friends' rental was fairly sumptuous. One side of the Second Empire double parlor was made into a master bedroom, and my hostess is incapacitated and cannot climb steps, so they lived down there, while I had the whole top floor to myself. So I was the only one who could be accused of tracking sand into the guest bedroom, which I spent part of my last morning sweeping up diligently, though I kept feeling bits of it everywhere.

I have no idea what my weight is, but these hosts never, ever eat and drink constantly. I am often very hungry while with them and eying the clock toward the next meal. Which, for dinner, keeps getting pushed back as the wine glasses get refilled. (I had only one glass while there, from Long Island, I forget which vineyard. I am not good at this wine stuff, though friends of mine live for it.) Dear God, I went up to my bedroom on two occasions just to get a handful of almonds out of my suitcase, not being able to wait an hour longer.

I made some very good choices, though. It's easy to eat well with seafood to choose from, as long as it's not battered & fried. It helps that I love the stuff.

bargoo 07-07-2012 07:26 AM

Welcome back , Saef, It sounds like the apartment is coming along quite nicely and soon you will be home again.
My weight has come down, a little, very little, but in the weight loss game we appreciate every ounce, don't we ?

ICUwishing 07-07-2012 09:40 AM

Power, glorious power. Nothing quite like 3 days (or more) without it to help one appreciate life's luxuries. :p. I am most pleased to have the dishwasher back on line! We cancelled the planned trip to Wisconsin; someone had to be here to feed the generator, and then my little bunny stressed out and ended up at the vet for two and a half hours yesterday. I have added two new skills - dealing with a 6kW generator, and giving subcutaneous fluids to a rabbit. Needless to say, I haven't put a lot of thought into my weight the last few days. Before "the feces impacted the rotary oscillator", I'd made some plans to get back into a narrower path of control-that-shall-not-be-restraint, and will kick it off today. The key ideas are a weekly calorie allowance that starts on Saturday, so that my weekend eating defines the weekdays, reduced alcohol, and some "carrots" for meeting exercise targets. The calorie budget is based on a 2lb loss per month, at 12,000/wk. Never give up! :dizzy:

bargoo 07-07-2012 10:56 AM

Becky ! Good planning !

ICUwishing 07-07-2012 12:57 PM

Patches (my bunny) has died. Farewell, my little fuzzy friend - you will be sorely missed. :cry:

bargoo 07-07-2012 01:33 PM

So sorry for your loss, Becky. After it was necessary to put my beloved dog Sparky down, I received a wonderful card from my vet's office all staff signed it. I want to share it with you, Inside it said

"May you find comfort in the knowledge
that you were truly blessed to have shared
your life with such a friend".

ICUwishing 07-07-2012 03:18 PM

Thank you, Bargoo. That's a wonderful sentiment. I was glad to have my time with him and learn how much fun it is to have a bunny as a pet.

midwife 07-07-2012 04:32 PM

I'm sorry, Becky. :hug:

saef 07-08-2012 08:34 AM

Oh, Becky, darling, I am so sorry. What you wrote about Patches a few weeks ago is so fresh in my mind, and when I picture you two cuddling together, it's one of those moments between animals and people that redeems some of the difficulties and dark moments in our world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICUwishing (Post 4397083)
Stroking a completely relaxed bunny who's clicking his teeth with happiness is the best stress reliever I have ever found. :)

He knew himself loved and safe with you. And you had the joy of knowing and living with him.

Please know I'm thinking of you today.

Mudpie 07-08-2012 08:39 AM

I'm sorry Becky :(. Patches was well loved and didn't suffer at the end - blessings are always mixed in life it seems. :hug:

Dagmar

saef 07-08-2012 08:44 AM

Down a little over two pounds since before my vacation started. This is due to my running and gym-going while on vacation and also the long, food-less intervals with my hosts, who also eat remarkably small portions at dinner. Probably due to the wife's illness, which means she takes just a few mouthfuls at meals and then is done, and has leftovers. For example, five cherries leave her full. I believe her husband has also learned to eat less from living with her. Either that, or I am a pig. Or hungrier & with higher calorie requirements because of running over three miles each morning (while visiting) and from the muscle that I've put on from weight-training three days a week for the past nine months. I don't know, but I know they made me feel greedy and hungry much of the time, and a bit ashamed of my hunger and somewhat unfeminine.

bargoo 07-08-2012 09:05 AM

I've noticed that some people, even people on these board seem to think there is something wrong with being hungry. After not eating for several hours you should be hungry. I have pretty much scheduled my hunger , by eating at about the same times every day. I get hungry three times a day , every day.
I am down 1.6 pounds for the month of July, so far.

ICUwishing 07-08-2012 09:25 AM

Bargoo, Saef, midwife, and dagmar, thank you! As horrible and sudden as this was, my family did agree that Patches taught us a lot about life as a bunny household. We concluded we have a lot to offer, and are looking into local rabbit rescue organizations. Might even consider a matched pair ...

Bargoo, congrats! 1.6# in a mere 8 days is a lot! I've noticed the same thing about hunger; I find it a good way to tell if I'm eating the right amount (note, I have a healthy BODY relationship to food - it's my head that takes me in the wrong directions!) :p

Saef, glad you were able to get your runs in. That must have been very strange to feel that way - to have your normal, sustainable intake seem so high. Try not to think about it too much; there are likely many friends and coworkers who observe what you eat and have the same wonderings! I wanted to also mention that I appreciate your updates over the months about the benefits of your weight training - for my being a virtual sofa spectator, you are building a compelling case.

Finally got on the scale this morning. 151.0. It's post -TOM and a reasonable place from which to go forward.

kittycat40 07-08-2012 11:40 AM

Hi chicks,

Becky- so sorry you lost your bunny. I know how sad it is to lose a furry friend.

Saef- fuggetaboutit...they have their calories in wine-- put that into food kcals, and you're prob even :)

Bargoo- congrats on the scale success!

Dagmar- I have been kayaking on the lake recently, love it!

Midwife- hola!

Allison and Michele- enjoy the vacations :)

Krampus and Megan- hi :)

Shannon- fence in yet?

I'm stable, scalewise and emotionally (for now ;))

happy summer :D

Mudpie 07-08-2012 04:08 PM

saef There is nothing embarrasing, to me, about being fit, active, healthy and hungry. I am hungry at least 3-5 times per day - it's just my body telling me to eat because I've used all my fuel.

And whoever meentioned the alcohol cals is right - your hosts probably took in MORE cals than you and they were mostly unhealthy ones.

Becky If you do decide to get 2 bunnies they will be lovely company for each other but I would suggest not getting 2 males together - tendency toward fights.

We are all a little worse for the wear here. The older (:lol: he's 2 1/2) dog is now sporting a head cone, woebegone expression, and inflamed ear leaking serum. He suffers from this chronically so I am already administering aid and meds but he is not happy. No swimming next week so my entire schedule has to be retooled. I am sporting a lot of scrapes on my left lower leg - who knew that being knocked down in the sand would do that - oh is that :dizzy: why they call it sandpaper? I have the feeling my back is healing up though - two weird falls and it seems unaffected by either. Either that or the meds I'm popping 4X daily are masking the pain but but either way the show goes on.

DH, since his last day at the current job is Friday, elected to not go into work today (he doesn't get paid any overtime, ever) and I will join him for dinner. That'll be a nice change for us - I haven't seen him for dinner 2 nights in a row in 3 months.

Good evening all!

Dagmar :eek:

Mudpie 07-09-2012 06:09 AM

I stumbled on to a really nice summer treat at the asian grocery. They make frozen fruit bars that taste really good, have a creamy texture, and only have 5-6 ingredients that are all normal foodstuffs (fruit, water, sugar, etc.)

And they have between 100 and 130 cals each, depending on the fruit used. DH likes 'em too - better than his chocolate ice cream now. He still has the tendency to devour the whole box of bars but there are only 4 per box so that puts his cal load at waaay less than with the litre of ice cream.

Dagmar :brr: :love:

Mudpie 07-09-2012 07:30 AM

brownies for brekkie?

In the August print edition of "O" magazine there is an article about having what most of us would call "indulgence" foods with breakfast. Sorry, couldn't find an online link but it mentions things like brownies, cookies, etc.

They offer an explanation for their thinking and everything but I'm wondering how valid this all is? I personally would set myself up for a big crash about mid-morning if I had a brownie after my cereal and banana.

Thoughts?

ICUwishing 07-09-2012 07:45 AM

I'm with you, Dagmar. Days that start with simple carbs, even cereal, just don't go well. Gimmee the protein! I might have a piece of fruit with it on occasion. Breakfast has become too important to be an "indulgence". As undisciplined as I am, I still see it mostly as a fuel stop. :lol:

bargoo 07-09-2012 07:50 AM

A brownie for breakfast ? Are you kidding me ? There is no such thing as "A brownie" I would want to eat the whole pan of brownies, that is why I don't have brownies or cookies in the house, I can't eat just one. Who thinks of these things ?

saef 07-09-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargoo (Post 4398676)
Who thinks of these things ?

People who are obviously quite unlike me and did not spend several decades of their lives weighing more than 100 pounds beyond what's considered healthy & normal.

For me, breakfast is the easiest meal to "program" & the one for which I'm most likely to eat the same thing over & over & over. Which is, in my worldview, a good thing.

Also, I often eat my breakfast at about 4:30 AM, before heading off to very early spin class, & thus by the end of the day my breakfast is a distant memory, as though it happened the day before. That thinking would not help me with facing other subsequent indulgences.

Finally, I face enough temptations when I'm out in the bigger world, often at the urging of other people. So why do this to myself, when others will surely offer something?

This cuts both ways:
O. magazine is open to new ideas/ O. magazine chases every new fad & finding as though it's the way to salvation.

Shannon in ATL 07-09-2012 02:22 PM

Just got back here after a busy week last week.

Becky - I'm so sorry about your bunny. I was just thinking about him last week when I had an unexpected few minutes of downtime at home and my cat laid her head in my lap. :hug:

I do have my fence in! Yay! I ran the Peachtree Road Race on 7/4 and survived it, in record heat and condition red for the event. I'm back in my own office now, the catering manager I was covering for is back from vacation. Maybe I'll be able to get back to a little more normal.

ICUwishing 07-09-2012 02:45 PM

Kitty, good to see you and that things are "stable". Good word - we like stable. :)

Dagmar, I'm checking out rescue orgs that spay/neuter every bunny they take. There are a few bonded pairs of neutered males, but most seem to be females with "husbuns" (isn't that a cute term?). I sent off one adoption inquiry this morning, a three page form. It makes me happy to know I'll be grilled thoroughly before I'm allowed to adopt! Hooray for weathering the bumps and bangs - sounds like you have your hands FULL. And best wishes for you and DH finding a path of least resistance; hope his job situation settles for a while.

Shannon, thanks. :hug: Yay for fence! And bravo for the Peachtree ... Most of us don't even like to breathe in that kind of weather!

I've finally found an emotion that kills my appetite: grief. But the teary episodes are getting farther apart and life will continue. I'm now in the "what could I do better?" place, and still wondering whether I could have done anything - sooner, different, etc. I miss his fuzzy little butt terribly.

Mudpie 07-09-2012 04:24 PM

Becky Dogs are about the only pets who will give us ample warning that they are in distress. Most other pets (including cats) are usually prone to hiding things until it's too late to save them. They don't want to give any indication of weakness lest they be eaten (it's all hardwired instinctually) so they don't exhibit any symptoms. I don't think there was anything you could have done differently for Patches - you took him in when he showed the first symptoms of stress.

Dagmar :hug:

traveling michele 07-09-2012 06:55 PM

Becky,
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Dh and I drove to Key West today as it was a rainy day. We toured Ernest Hemingway's house. Very interesting tour, but the highlight for me were all the kitties with extra toes. (Polydactyl)

alinnell 07-09-2012 10:19 PM

I'm so sorry, Becky. Losing any pet is difficult.

I have another (online) friend who has had turkeys and chickens and of course, dogs, and has expanded to pygmy goats and is now considering miniature donkeys. Sounds like a zoo to me!

I'm back from my rather stressful (at times) vacation but in the end the good outweighed the bad. We're still waiting for our luggage that may take up to 2 days to get to us (and we paid WHAT to check it?). But I'm swollen. I wonder if it is what I ate last night (enchilada soup and santa fe chicken salad from Chili's) or from sitting for the past, what 10+ hours. My feet, ankles and even my entire leg is swollen. And I never get this way.

Will post photos in a few days. I need to get my luggage, wash it, transport it to DD in Fullerton and fill out all the paperwork for the trip insurance.

bargoo 07-10-2012 07:29 AM

Good to have you back , Allison. I think you are right about the swelling, sitting for hours plus the sodium in the Mexican food. I hope you get your luggage back, soon. I had mine lost before I ever got to the airport, somehow between my hotel in Dallas and the airport it was lost by the shuttle driver.