3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   TV habits - has anyone quit ? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/256223-tv-habits-has-anyone-quit.html)

Exhale15 04-03-2012 11:06 AM

TV habits - has anyone quit ?

I have a great TV in my living room; thinking of disconnecting the cable and moving the TV to the bedroom as a reminder to do exercise dvds.

Have any of you 'quit' cable?

freelancemomma 04-03-2012 11:47 AM

I haven't disconnected it, but I hardly ever watch TV. I'm too busy with my freelance writing business and other projects.

F.

ICUwishing 04-03-2012 11:52 AM

TV is almost a nonentity for me - the only time I watch it is when I'm folding laundry. I don't think DH would ever agree to give it up unless Fox News and the cooking channel went to regular network. :lol: Now I just need to set some timers on my internet activities ... That being said, I realized that between internet and cable, we pay $100/month. Really? REALLY????

sontaikle 04-03-2012 12:22 PM

There are a few select shows I watch and that's pretty much it for me and TV. With all of the hiatuses that the shows are taking though, it feels like I'm hardly watching TV anymore.

Usually I watch:
Walking Dead
Fringe
How I Met Your Mother
Mike and Molly
Family Guy

That's three days a week and that's if all of the shows are new (which usually they aren't).

bargoo 04-03-2012 12:31 PM

I still have a TV and still have cable but don't watch it much anymore.

kateleestar 04-03-2012 12:54 PM

I have my DVR and I LOVE HER. lol. I have it set to record things that I can watch, and I have a TV mounted in my workout room so I can elliptical and watch Tabitha Takes Over or Golden Girls, LOL.

And then an hour has passed and I've worked out good, and I'm mentally relaxed and I got my TV in. :) <3

:lol:

beachlover86 04-03-2012 01:01 PM

We got rid of cable when we moved in aug. Saves a ton of money. We have digital rabit ears so get up to 13 and a few other ones. I dont miss it at all however I do miss the dvr because I can't stay up late enough to watch my shows. Oh well...

Shannon in ATL 04-03-2012 01:14 PM

I watch so little tv I don't know why I still have cable. Then along comes baseball season and I remember.

Exhale15 04-03-2012 01:14 PM

I tried to go without TV a while ago when my set broke; I lasted about 4 months, but spent TV time watching Netflix. Still, if TV time were work-out time I'd be buff:?: Gotta figure this out.

If I did drop TV, I would really miss The Big Bang Theory and NCIS....I like Fringe, too. Maybe I'll try having 'TV' days when I'll watch something for an hour but work on my exercise ball, etc. while it's on. Gotta figure this one out. Or maybe a mini set connected to cable and the good set connected to the dvd player....

Shannon in ATL 04-03-2012 01:15 PM

I watch Fringe on Hulu+.

Exhale15 04-03-2012 01:18 PM

Hulu's on the computer? Pls forgive my backwardness....

berryblondeboys 04-03-2012 01:21 PM

We watch exactly one show a week on TV - Castle. Occasionally I'll watch House Hunters and when Project Runway is one, I'll watch that.

Otherwise the TV is for Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming and for some kid shows.

However, I don't know why you have to disconnect everything to do videos - aren't almost all TVS now capable of having several devises attached?

And moving the TV to the bedroom is a bad idea - so says all sleep experts and fitness gurus. (And something I will NEVER do).

geobuilder 04-03-2012 01:21 PM

I had cable from 1995 to 1998, got rid of it when the price went from $22.00 to $32.00. I get about 20 stations from an antenna, cable now is over $80.00.

Exhale15 04-03-2012 01:27 PM

Do you think if I quit cable I'd be able to get enough of a TV fix online?

berryblondeboys 04-03-2012 01:27 PM

Oh I get it - you are watching too much TV and not working out. Maybe instead of moving the TV, set a schedule you will follow.

Our cable is bundled with our phone and internet, so no 'unplugging' here.