Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #46  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Hey, Proud Grampa -- No, the green board is not entirely going to be tiled over. Some of it will simply be smoothed out or sealed over, or whatever the term of art is. Yes, it has also been placed on the ceiling. The completely tiled-over sections unsurprisingly withstood the flood far better than any other part of my apartment.

Oh, and BTW, next time I'll know better than to wear black skinny jeans, a black sweater & black loafers when walking through an apartment that's just been dry-walled. I was rather floury by the time I left -- I looked like I'd been baking and had wiped my hands on my clothes. My shoes are quite whitened underneath. I left white footprints in the grass behind me.

Seriously, Gary, it can't be good to be breathing this stuff on the job, and I hope you have to wear a mask or something. Even if it's completely benign, with nothing at all toxic in it, I expected to be coughing and spitting it all night.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #47  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

SAEF ....we always tell the "suits" that walk in on our jobs "DO NOT touch the walls! Your black suits will be white!"...wait until the mud starts flying! We can track white footprints for miles!!!

I don't hang much drywall these days but boy do we sand!! That dust will carry for miles also. I hate it, especially ceilings. We get covered in it, even with masks.

We breath so much stuff...dirt, dust, drywall products, cement, diesel fumes all the time. Not the most desirable conditions for sure. Could be why us guys usually don't live too long...

oh, and bad habits/vices usually comes with our trades....

smoking, drugs, drinking, ex-wives....

Your drywall tapers/finishers will tape and finish the walls for tile or paint. They will texture the walls either by hand or with a machine depending on the type of texture, or your walls may be a smooth finish w/o texture.

I'm curious to what your state codes are concerning green board. We have used green board for 30 years or so but the codes and reasons have changed here in California for it's use.

I will get back to you, I want to make a call to our tile guy before I say anything that would be upsetting to you.

And FYI...I am going to a multi-million dollar job tomorrow to tape and start the finish on some bathrooms on a Toyota dealership...with green board walls

Be good
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote