Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Saef-- I'm sorry the one presentation wasn't up to par-- but please think about the ones that were fantastic! And they probably realize you did the best you could with a shortened amount of time.

Allison-- that dinner sounds amazing!!! I have decided to go to the fancier restaurant for my birthday dinner-- we haven't been there in at least a year and they have phenomenal homemade desserts-- I will indulge (though I'm sure my body will rebel!!).

Fitmom-- I applaud you for staying home and PUTTING YOUR KIDS FIRST! Please don't let anyone guilt you about doing that. When your kids are happy, healthy teenagers with open lines of communication with you, that mom's kids will likely be in a world of hurt/rebellion. I stayed home with my girls until my youngest went to preschool-- and then I worked part-time at their school. That was how I originally got involved in the schools and went back to college to become a librarian. Though I now work full-time, I am always off after school and on school holidays-- so I am there for my kids. We (dh and I) have talked about how I could make more money doing something else, but for now, I am content because I know that I am there for my kids.

Please keep my friend Lisa in your thoughts if you will. She is the mom of my younger dd's best friend. The doctors found a (hopefully benign) brain tumor and will be operating tomorrow. It will be a very long and tricky surgery and they are obviously very concerned.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Michele, thoughts and prayers for your daughters friend. Prayers for wisdom for medical personnel involved and peace for Lisa.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #48  
Chuggin' along...

Alison, your dinner sounds delicious!

Fitmom, don't be bothered by this woman's criticism. I agree with others, she is too caught in her own situation to understand another point of view and apparently also has no sensitivity or social couth. Some people don't know when to be quiet. In similar situations I try to change the subject or just leave.

Saef, sorry the other person's presentation ran long with questions and no one appropriately moderated for you. In that situation someone (a moderator?) should either cut off the questioner or allowed you your full 30 minutes. That is not your fault! You mentioned you recently got your year-end bonus - that shows your boss thinks you are doing a good job. Hang in there and blow off some steam with a good hard sweaty workout.

Michele, I'm sending good thoughts to your friend, her family and medical team. I hope you get good news after the surgery.

Have a good day all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #49  

Height: 5'6

@All: You're right, I cannot allow this woman's criticism make me question my decision to be a SAHM. I've never questioned someone's decision to go back to work so I guess I'm just surprised by how mine to stay home would cause someone to ask why. My naiveness comes through from time-to-time, lol. I'm better now - that's for setting me straight.

Michele: I'll add your friend to my prayer list. I hope all goes well.

Alison: That does sound yummy!!

Happy almost-Friday!
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #50  
Workin' It

Fitmom - the armchair shrink in me thinks that this woman questioned your choices because she feels some conflict over hers. Don't let her bother you at all.

Michele - thinking about your friend. I hope you enjoy your birthday dinner!

Saef - someone should definitely have moderated that presentation, that isn't fair to anyone there. Sorry it left you feeling insecure - it wasn't your fault. Your boss should be able to see that.

Allison - that restaurant sounds awesome.

Dagmar - when I'm praised or feel good in one area I almost always falter in another. I don't know what it is.

I made it through dinner last night - after the trouble with DSS I wanted to fall face first into fried food and dessert, but I didn't. Go me.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

michele hope all goes well with your friend's surgery

saef and a big raspberry to the moderator of the presentations too!

Shannon You go girl!

fitmom I'm just repeating what everyone else has said - that woman is questioning her own choices. You have the means to do what you think is right so you go girl!

I had an "aha" moment around 3 a.m. this morning, when I couldn't go back to sleep and my brain just kind of seized on something.

I work outside, lugging big dogs around on all sorts of rough terrain and driving and dealing with all sorts of foul weather. Is 700 calories really enough to see me through a day that starts around 8 a.m. and ends around 4 p.m.? Perhaps if I ate a little more protein during the day I wouldn't be chewing at the furniture by the time I got home and then keep eating and eating until bed time. Or caffeinate myself so much to keep going that I crash during the evening and keep eating and eating . . .

I decided to try adding 170 cals (1/2 can of tuna w 1 tsp. light peanut sauce and 1 slice havarti cheese) to my lunch. And I had a half can of salmon when I got home around 4 - another 170 cals.

It's after 7 p.m. and I'm still standing. Hmm, must see what it does to the reading on the scale Monday.

Dagmar (feeling quite blonde today - I am naturally blonde so I can say that )
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #52  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Keep 'em barefoot, pregnant and at home!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #53  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey everyone! I've been maintaining for about 5 months now, and been following this thread. Aka, stalking!

Anyway, I really relate to everything that is going on in all of your lives.

This last week or so has seemed to be the dumps in a lot of places, myself included. This too shall pass. Come on spring, summer, sunshine and my garden.

Fitmom, don't worry what anyone else thinks. Being a parent is a full time job! I know, raised twin boys.

Mudpie! You are the one I most relate to. I work for a veterinarian, and I so get where you are coming from with the dogs.

Saef, my Mother and you, would hit it off, you like a lot of the same things, when it comes to furniture and shopping.

EZ cracks me up!

I know I did not comment to everyone, but, this thread has become something I check everyday for inspiration to stay in a maintaining mode. I can so relate.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Janelle!
Nice to "meet" you.
I worked for vets for 15 years-- originally wanted to be a vet and started off at vet school before deciding I didn't want to go to school for so many years. LOVE animals! What kind of furbabies do you have? I have Jozi (8 year old Great Dane), Dewey (almost one year old mini dachshund), and Charlotte and Wilbur (brother and sister Tonkinese kitties-- 9 years old).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #55  

Janelle Join right in! We're a friendly chatty bunch, as you know.

Dagmar TGIF
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
You're talking about the golden retrievers, right Gary?

Dagmar TGIF
Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #57  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Don't let Angie hear you say that, Gary! LOL
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #58  
Workin' It

Hey there, Janelle! Welcome aboard!

Dagmar - 700 calories is barely enough to keep me from starving to death by the end of the day, and I just sit at my desk for most of it! LOL I think a little more protein would definitely help.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #59  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #60  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

TGIF! Lots of food temptation tonight and tomorrow, but also fun times with friends. My plan is moderation, 1 plate of food and stay away from the dips, drink water between each glass of wine. Oh and exercise! It is supposed to be rainy and stormy tomorrow, which is not good for the festival weather. This is actually the main fundraiser for our volunteer fire department - all their $ for the year comes from this event, so we need a good turnout! BF is a member and he's been working all week to help get ready. Tomorrow I'll be lucky if I see him more than once.

Ohhhhh Gary. You kidder you.

Welcome Janelle! I garden too! I do mostly veggies because I like to grow nice fresh things to eat. What do you grow? As I'm sure you've noticed if you've been stalking us, there are a lot of animal people on this thread. I've got a dog, Emma, who is almost 2 and extremely energetic. She loves to walk on the beach and jog with me.

Fitmom, I hope you've been able to brush off that woman's comment and are feeling better today.

Dagmar, 700 calories??? Oh, my. I would be gnawing my arm off, even on my office days. Let us know if adding a little more food is helpful!

What are everyone's plans for the weekend? Have a good one everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote