Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
So we could have bell curves for hips, boobs, waists, weight, bone density, yadayadayada and show how it moves with time.
Would we be better people if we did this, or just more anal?

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-29-2012 at 12:27 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #17  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jay, that's a whole separate axis!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #18  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Sorry to crash your scientific party here...

if I was to pick out the perfect woman's body, in my mind, with boobs, butt, hips and all...

she would look nothing like my wife.

And yet...

I married the "perfect" woman for me.

Go figure.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #19  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hahahahahahaha "scientific party," you're funny EZMONEY!

I think normal women in my mind have somewhat thicker bottom halves than top halves - legs proportionally thicker than arms, hips a little wider than shoulders, etc. This shape seems typically female to me and I see the majority of people in the US and Japan being of this general shape.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Dagmar, no sad smilie needed! We all interpreted the word our own way. My version of "normal" is the statistical one of the symmetrical bell curve. I can't put a name to an example, but your description sounds right to me, for a Z=0. Of course, to put that in perspective, we'd have to spin that bell curve out of 2D space and make an imploded helmet shape to account for other parameters ...
Becky

Everyone else - my DH explained that the practice (hope that's the right term) of psychology has totally changed the traditional meaning of the word "normal". So I did learn several new things from all this.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #21  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

You guys might be interested in this link that I got from a friend a while back: http://www.mybodygallery.com

It's not safe for work since a lot of the images are in swimsuits or underwear, but basically women upload photos of themselves along with their stats, and you can search for women with whatever stats to see what they look like. I found it quite surprising -- I searched for my own stats and thought all the photos on there looked way skinnier than me, but if they really are wearing the same size clothes and have the same height and weight as me, maybe I'm skinnier than I think.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
You guys might be interested in this link that I got from a friend a while back: http://www.mybodygallery.com

It's not safe for work since a lot of the images are in swimsuits or underwear, but basically women upload photos of themselves along with their stats, and you can search for women with whatever stats to see what they look like. I found it quite surprising -- I searched for my own stats and thought all the photos on there looked way skinnier than me, but if they really are wearing the same size clothes and have the same height and weight as me, maybe I'm skinnier than I think.
Interesting link! I put in my stats and got a lot of women who look a lot like I do -except quite a bit younger. I was expecting them to look about the same as me - I think I have a pretty good idea of what size I am. Much better comparison than with a celebrity.

Thanks Jessica!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #23  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Dagmar, I took your "normal" as you probably intended it. Not too fat, not too skinny, right? That's what I'd call "normal" too. As in the way nature intended us to be.

I love my body gallery! I spent a good half hour looking at women my height at all the different weights I've ever been. Ah, the internet. So useful and such a time suck at the same time! Anyway, I remember one particular girl who was my height and weight and looked so fantastic it depressed me. If I looked like that I wouldn't be trying to lose more at all.

Last edited by clarabr; 01-31-2012 at 05:51 AM.
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #24  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jessica, thanks for posting the link. That was exactly what I needed to see at the right time. There's a picture of someone at my height, with the body shape I have, at the goal weight I want - and she looks incredible!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #25  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Just went and looked at the photos for 5'2" and 120 pounds (my stats). Unfortunately, I'm quite certain that some of those women are lying (or deluded). For the most egregious example, see http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-...-shape.htm#img
Because the variation is so extreme, I don't actually find it that helpful.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

Did you know that the average model is considerably underweight? I get what you're saying- if that's considered "normal" or the desirable body type, people start to think that perfectly "normal" healthy bodies are "fat". I look at "plus size" ads and usually think those women look quite "normal" and even "thin" sometimes. I look at emaciated fashion models and all I see is starvation. Then I read people commenting that this celebrity or that celebrity is "fat" and she's clearly underweight.

Best bet, don't compare ourselves to media images. (Easier said than done)
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote