Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

What do you think about this? Triticum Fever. I'm thinking that giving up. I mean, a couple of years ago, my doctor suggested not eating grains as they aren't healthy. I don't feed grains to any of my pets. Perhaps there is something to it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #32  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've read a lot of these discussions here and elsewhere on the Internet.

I don't have any symptoms of being ill that could be attributed to what I am eating. I do not have any digestive disorders. (Unless I chew too much sugarfree gum & get a lot of xylitol in my system.) I have no trouble with consuming things made from wheat.

And I love baking bread. I love the smell of it in the house. I love eating a warm slice. It's not a trigger for me. I'm able to have one slice & give the rest away, or eat oatmeal for the next few mornings. It's not forbidden, and so I do not overindulge & I do not view it as a binge food.

Others will have different experiences and so will make different choices, but mine is definitely not to cut whole grain wheat out of my diet.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #33  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Allison, if you want to give up wheat go ahead and give it a shot. I gave it up for a month on a gluten-free diet and saw absolutely no change in my health, so I went back to eating it again. Then again, I never had any gastrointestinal problems, and even my rheumatologist didn't think gluten would have anything to do with my inflammatory condition. It's interesting to try, but IMO unless you are getting some benefit from it (like people who actually have Celiac disease) it's too difficult to do full time.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My DIL is on a gluten free diet and believe me it is a pain. You would be surprised where you will find wheat. She has to scrutinize every food item that she buys, every recipe and at restaurants has to question the food server. At IHOP for instance, wouldn't you think an omelet would be gluten free ? Nooooooo, they put flour in their eggs, claims it nmakes them fluffy. I have never heard that and have made many omelets as well as scrambled eggs, never put flour in it,

Last edited by bargoo; 10-27-2011 at 01:07 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #35  

Jessica~during the two or three months I was doing Medifast, the diet was pretty much gluten free. There was oatmeal, and I believe that was the only grain at all. After resuming eating grains (whether it be the grains or calories in those grains) I gained back 5 of the 12 pounds that I'd lost on Medifast. I can't say I feel any different in any way. It's just that we're quite leery of the modification of corn that makes me wonder if wheat is not so good any more. But seriously, I cannot fathom giving it up all together. Like saef, I do love a freshly baked loaf of bread!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #36  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

FWIW most oatmeal is contaminated with wheat. That is why you will find special (more expensive) containers that are certified as gluten free oatmeal. I am also skeptical of all the modifications of crops, but I am not convinced that grains themselves are inherently bad or weight-gain-causing. I think people just tend to eat more calories than they realize when they are eating grains, especially processed ones like white flour (I have found myself saying things like, "That baguette had HOW many calories??").
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
I think people just tend to eat more calories than they realize when they are eating grains, especially processed ones like white flour (I have found myself saying things like, "That baguette had HOW many calories??").
That and not paying attention to serving size. I was watching a few minutes of Dr. Oz the other day and they had this guy on touting these gadgets for more easily measuring serving size for oft abused foods. He said they were only about $10 each, but I have enough kitchen gadgets, thank you very much!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

I find it fascinating that wheat differs so much now from, as mentioned in that article, in 1960 or earlier in the century from what our grandparents would have eaten. I looooooove bread, pasta, and carbs in general, but I'm very leery of all the recent genetic modifications. Really, can I get heirloom wheat somewhere? I don't know that I agree with the idea that wheat is the leading cause of obesity in the US, but I do love the thought that it's not the beer and wine that's giving me my belly!

Has anyone read the book ("Wheat Belly")? I'm kind of interested - probably will never give it up but I think it might be a worthwhile read if the library has it.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

I am on a gluten-free diet for a month. Thank goodness for rice!!!
I must say, the gluten free options for bread are nasty and have the texture of cardboard.
Not sure it is making any difference, so I don't think I will follow this way of eating indefinitely.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznn View Post
I am on a gluten-free diet for a month. Thank goodness for rice!!!
I must say, the gluten free options for bread are nasty and have the texture of cardboard.
Not sure it is making any difference, so I don't think I will follow this way of eating indefinitely.
One of my former clients developed Crohn's disease. Her daughter, a professional baker, came up with several gluten-free breads which are sold in a local bakery around the corner from my dad. I tried them all out of curiosity. They were very different from wheat breads but not in a bad way. Unfortunatley she only makes and sells small batches in our local area (no preservatives so the breads can't travel well or be stored).

My point? Ah yes, I remember now . Those of you wanting to try gluten free-baking might be able to find a local small batch source which makes palatable breads.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #41  

My DIL makes spaghetti using gluten free pasta. It is pasta made from rice and if she hadn't told me and showed me the rice pasta package I wouldn't have known the differance.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #42  

King Arthur Flour makes several flours that are gluten free--as well as mixes for cookies, cakes, etc. (not that WE need those!).

I had to take Chico to the vet unexpectedly yesterday. When we got home Wednesday he was limping quite badly. At first we thought it was his foot, but inspection of his foot turned up nothing, then I noticed his right leg was swollen near his elbow. As my son described it, he had a ping-pong ball sized lump on the outside of his elbow and a larger, flatter area of swelling on the inside. The vet drained the outside lump and took about 1/2 cup of fluid out which is being sent to the lab for testing. The fluid was a yellowish cloudy mess tinged with pink. She thinks it's joint fluid. He's no longer limping, and the lump did not refill with fluid, and I think the other lump seems a bit smaller this morning. They won't prescribe anything for it until they get the results back next week. He may need antibiotics or steroids--depending on what it is. She didn't think it was a tumor as it came up so suddenly. We think he injured it just before we got home because as the evening wore on, he limped less and less. The vet also did blood work, urinalysis and X-rays. Let's just say that was very expensive! But they all commented on what a good, well behaved dog he is.

Meanwhile, at 3 AM this morning, I was happily sleeping on my tummy when Louie decided my back was the best place to sleep. Thank goodness he doesn't weigh much. But it makes me wonder what he'll do when he's full grown.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #43  

Dog lovers, look for a post Vote,Please by rainbow girl and vote for her dog.Not only does she have a beautiful dog but it is for a good cause and you can vote ever day until Nov 17.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Default Halloween

So I'm going to see DH's band tonite and, at his request (they are called Los Boneros), I'm dressing as a "cowgirl" . I was surprised to find that I already had most of the costume (with shoe/boot thingees standing in for cowboy boots) in my closet. Hmmm . . . I always identified more with the punk/goth stuff but somehow I can dress like a cowgirl with just the addition of a hat and bandanna.

And what a difference different cuts of jeans make. I tried on 4 pairs to find the ones that go best with my skulls belt (told you I was an aging punk) and I looked totally different in all of them though they are all the same size.

The show starts at 11 p.m. I woke up at 4 a.m. this morning so no beer drinking or I'll nod off in the middle of their set. And I'm bringing "sensible" shoes to make the trek home again on the TTC. No more heels for this girl's feet. I can stand around and look fashionable in them but not walk for any length of time.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #45  

Thinking of all you East Coast folks and hope you're doing okay. Much too early for a storm of this magnitude.