3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers weekly chat October 10 - October 16 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/244821-maintainers-weekly-chat-october-10-october-16-a.html)

alinnell 10-12-2011 07:59 PM

The experiment with Louie went well today. I got home and let him out of the cat room. He was sitting by the scratching pad and calmly walked out, chattering the way he normally does. So far he's been very laid back. Not even attempting to do anything that he's not supposed to. I gave him a small treat when I got home, too, so perhaps that is why. Ringo came out from under my bed shortly thereafter and they've been doing their normal ignore each other/attack each other/play together, etc. It's about time to feed them. At this point, due to Louie's age, I don't want to pick up food after 30 minutes, but once he's closer to a year old, that will be what will be done--not only to get Ringo back to shape but to insure that Louie doesn't follow in his footsteps.

And the cat room is basically cat-proof. There is a cushioned chair, cat toys, litter box, scratching pad, food and water dishes in the bathroom and then our treadmill and elliptical. And a TV. But nothing that he can do any damage to. And with all the toys, and the big window out of which a lot of birds visit, I'm sure he won't be bored. It used to be Ringo's favorite place to be before we turned it into said cat room.

EZMONEY 10-12-2011 08:30 PM

Have you voted for me yet? :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ml#post4068820

Megan1982 10-12-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZMONEY (Post 4066457)
:) Megan, I know if it wasn't for my dogs and needing their walks to stay healthy, I would have a few thousand less miles under my (big fat) belt!

Go Emma...GO! ;)

For real! I'm pretty sure I can attribute the few pounds I lost this year (not to mention the great cardio benefits and stress relief) to getting Emma in January!

That soup sounds really good, Gary... but I'm a little dubious of the cranberry sauce addition. Let us know how it turns out! I'm definitely heading into soup mode with the change in weather. I've got a long weekend coming up in a few weeks following some intensely long working hours, and plan to use it to do some cooking.

Unfortunately I have no cat advice to contribute. I spend enough time trying to decipher/correct dog behavior. :dizzy: But good luck Allison.

I did a 12-minute interval workout from Bodyrocktv.com last night. Emma thinks when mommy is on the floor, mommy must want to play and receive many doggie kisses. I could not stop myself from some groans and moans it was so intense. She couldn't stand it! BF was a good sport and kept her busy til I finished though. Ohhh the burn. A good burn though! I had a nice yoga class tonight that helped work out some of the stiffness in my legs.

What other soups are people making? Saef, yours sound delicious. I've got some good ol' chili (well, my healthier version) planned for this weekend. I can never get enough.

EZMONEY 10-12-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megan1982 (Post 4068947)
That soup sounds really good, Gary... but I'm a little dubious of the cranberry sauce addition. Let us know how it turns out! ......

Well I made the soup tonight to go with Angie's butternut squash enchiladas. We both thought the soup was very good. I made it exactly like the recipe said. It was easy to put together but took a little time with a lot of ingredients and chopping...3 different bowls with the soup/salsa/sour cream and cranberry.

the sour cream and cranberry was a nice touch Megan, just a spoonful into the soup to make it creamy. You actually use only 2 tablespoons of whole cranberry sauce...looks like blueberry yogurt all mixed up with the sour cream :)

It is definitely a soup though, I kept telling Angie I think it needs another can of beans...she said nope, it's soup...not chili! ;)

My only problem....I made it for my step-daughter since she is vegetarian....she couldn't eat it...I asked why not, there isn't any meat in it....chicken broth....who knew...chicken broth is "meat".....:D

Oh well, she was sweet and thankful for the thought...next time I'll try veggie broth and see how that goes.

Thanks ALLISON and MEGAN for the votes :hug:...I'm still getting creamed by chili....:mad:....;)

Mudpie 10-13-2011 06:14 AM

sad week for pets

I don't know whether to be :mad: or :(. Probably a bit of both.

I have been walking a very reluctant wheaton terrier for about 12 years now. She is now 15 years old, has a partially torn knee, is deaf and going blind, and has been diagnosed with Cushings. She and my other old creaky lab girl have been going to a local park with me and puttering around. They seem to enjoy it and no one goes there to bother them.

This past long weekend my client decided to take the wheaton hiking (!) with her in a provincial park. She made the dog hike with her for well over an hour. Now the poor old girl literally can't walk. She keeps falling over to the left. Then she starts to panic. I think she's totally torn her knee. My client has been avoiding me at her house when I came to pick the dog up every day this week.

Enough is enough. I just sent her an email saying I'm not going to put this poor injured old dog through any more pain or fear. I'm done.

And another cat client called me last night to tell me one of her cats died suddenly on Monday night.

I hope that's the end of the bad pet news this week. I feel totally depressed.

Dagmar :(

bargoo 10-13-2011 09:27 AM

Dagmar, I understand the depression, when our pets suffer, so do we. Rest assured that you have done the best you could for these dear pets.
I got a wonderful card from my vets office after my beloved little boy had to be put down.
It said:
"May you find comfort in the knowledge that you were truly blessed to have shared your life with such a friend."

traveling michele 10-13-2011 10:17 AM

Hugs Dagmar. Those of us with pets (hopefully) only have to endure the sadness of losing them once every so many years, while you, in your position, have to endure it much more frequently.

paperclippy 10-13-2011 01:29 PM

Dagmar, :hug:

Allison, I think if Louie doesn't mind being in the cat room all day it sounds like a fine solution. When we had BooBoo over at our house we corralled her with baby gates into the dining room any time we were out of the house, and at night, while giving Carter roaming privileges everywhere else. It worked extremely well -- she didn't mind (she would even go in when we left the gates open just to hang out in there), and she didn't get into any trouble, which I'm sure she would have if we had let her roam around, since she has a history of destroying things and doing her business indoors in her own house.

Megan, Carter also cannot resist getting in my way if I try to exercise on the floor at home. I did some pilates at home the other day and DH had to keep calling Carter back into the other room with him. Still he wandered over a couple times, stuck his nose in my face during my crunches, and then laid down two inches away from me and started licking himself. :rolleyes: At least it wasn't as bad as the time he decided to lay down right behind me while I was doing "rolling like a ball!"

Mudpie 10-14-2011 05:44 AM

logging in?

Is anyone else having to log in every day now? I do click the "keep me logged in" box and don't log out when I'm done but it seems I'm now having to log in every time I turn on the computer.

Dagmar :?:

bargoo 10-14-2011 08:23 AM

No problem logging in here.

Megan1982 10-14-2011 11:59 AM

TGIF! Another beautiful day here. This weekend my plans are to get my fall garden planted, do some (healthy) cooking, exercise, and I have theater tickets in the city for a Sunday matinee of "Jesus Christ Superstar". A friend loaned me her Jillian Michaels 30 day shred so I want to try that workout this weekend. I'm sure Emma will love that workout, too. Maybe I can distract her with a rawhide.

Dagmar, no problem logging in here. It's funny, my work computer saves my password but at home I do have to log in. I think it's got something to do with cookies and security settings? (No, computer cookies, not those cookies.) :hug: for your sad pet week. I think Michele said it very well - with your occupation you have to deal with the "downs" of pet life more frequently than those of us with just one or a few pets at home.

Jessica, yeah, Emma likes to lick my face and neck when I'm doing any ab work or push-ups where my face is close enough to the ground for her to get to! :dizzy:

Thanks for the recipe review Gary. Maybe I'll try it right after Thanksgiving when I actually have just 2 Tbsp of cranberry sauce randomly lying about...

What are everybody's plans for the weekend?

alinnell 10-14-2011 12:09 PM

No logging in problems here, either.

My weekend should be fun! As soon as I'm off work, I have to go to the bank. They called the other day to say there were going to be changes and they wanted to make sure I knew all about them so that I would not incur any charges. That's nice--I do hope it all works to my advantage.

As soon as I get home, I'll start cooking. Oven "fried" chicken, potato salad and a salad of black beans, corn and tomatoes. Once they are all done I'll do some cute little apple empanadas. All that is for a picnic lunch on Saturday where we'll welcome back my in-laws. They're due to arrive at 11 AM. We'll let them get settled, wait for DS to get back from his PSAT and then drive out to see them. It'll be a little exciting as we remodeled their RV spot this summer. Instead of cement, they now have multi-colored pavers (muted browns, reds, rusts). We increased the size of the pad so they have more room for outdoor furniture and entertaining. We put up a wall that is low enough to be used as a bench, new lighting and a really nice "kitchen" area where they can put their BBQ. I should get pictures...

Sunday the in-laws will come over for lunch and dinner and we'll probably go see a movie. They want to see Moneyball.

sznn 10-14-2011 07:24 PM

Dagmar, maybe you have your cookies turned off?

Hi everyone,

Lurking away here, been battling some hypothyroid issues. Trying to find the right meds/solution, so I don't feel like I'm dragging myself around all day.
Not much else is new besides that.

Good to see you are all doing well-winning the good fight ;)

S

Mudpie 10-15-2011 05:49 AM

It's very frustrating having to make pets fast before taking them to the vet. We have been up (and by we I mean myself and the cats) since 4:30 and 2 of us are howling for food (hint: we are not howling with a human voice).

It's too cold and dark to throw them out in the yard so I will have to put up with this for 3 1/2 more hours. SIGH.

Sorry I can't vote for you Gary but Fb is not co-operating this morning. I'll try again later.

Good Saturday all!

Dagmar :tired:

saef 10-15-2011 07:21 AM

Does anyone know anything about older cats whose bloodwork is showing signs of incipient kidney issues?

The vet called last night, after my mother had gone out with her friends, and said that her cat's bloodwork is edging into indications of kidney issues. The vet said this is not reversible, but can be slowed if the cat follows a special diet, namely, one lower in protein. (Of course the vet wants to sell us this food. We'll probably buy it online instead.) She also gave elaborate instructions on collecting a urine sample from the cat. Once analyzed, that sample will help them determine where the cat's kidney issues are at.

This made me feel really bleak yesterday. Nothing is permanent, not the homes one makes for oneself or the people & the animals one loves.

Also I am hating the economics of disaster recovery. After my root canal, with my face still half-paralyzed from novacaine, so that my smile was lopsided & my speech was slurred a little, I went to the restorers to visit my paintings. I had to give them another down payment on their work. And we determined that I probably have to trash the grand but ruined mid-19th century frame around the portrait. I will have to find another. This upsets me because 1) it's nice to have portraits in the original frames that they were placed in the day they were finished, just because such things belong together for life, like a marriage; 2) finding a 19th century frame may take me years. I mean, years. It will not only have to be from the right period, it will have to fit the painting exactly and it will have to be in decent condition. To carry my marriage analogy further, the dating pool is very, very small. I could be looking for five or six years just to get back what I had.

Then I ended up sitting there last night thinking of different things that I lost, or that I'm now forgetting whether I lost, gave away to the furniture restorer, or simply trashed.

It became overwhelming. I didn't binge. But I felt awful and finally crawled off to bed at 8:30 PM and then kept waking up on the hour, with the cat crying and walking all over me because he wanted to go outside, and wasn't allowed to for a time after his vet visit. And me feeling badly about the cat, since I cannot explain to him he's got kidney issues, which I'm going to have to relate to my mother today.

I don't feel like we're given much joy in this life. There is a lot of work, a lot to pay for, and then everything goes away so quickly.