Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #106  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

The Weight Watchers scale that I bought at Target earlier this week just confirmed that my stats in my profile are correct. I'm 141.1, and with more muscles in my arms and shoulders than I've ever had in my life.

Think I'll stick around in this thread anyway. As I settle in Upstate gradually -- it doesn't feel like "settling," as I seem to go two steps forward, one step back, and I have days of blackness & tension -- I seem to feel better controlling this one thing.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #107  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Becky, thanks. I am doing the non-tracking weight loss diet at the moment, which basically consists of not eating any unplanned snacks and trying to avoid taking seconds at dinner. The difference between maintenance and loss for me is basically those two things. I find it easier to avoid the snacks and seconds when I have tracked my calories exactly though, but I'm still finishing off these leftovers and such. It might be working -- 135.4 this morning which is lower. We'll see if I'm at 138 again on Monday though.

FWIW I did track my breakfast and lunch yesterday. Then I ate leftovers for dinner and have no clue what the calorie count was. Somehow we ended up with a ton of starchy carby leftovers and like nothing else. I need to plan better next week. What happened was that I was making a wild rice pilaf Sunday night and underestimated how much cooked wild rice I'd get out of the dry amount, so I made way too much. Then I had planned to make this hominy spoonbread from cooking light to use up some leftover lf cream cheese, but didn't realize it made a whole 9x13 pan. Then I had planned to make a broccoli potato gratin (also cooking light) to use up leftover potatoes, but also didn't realize it made a 9x13 pan. So now we have huge amounts of potatoes, rice, and corn leftover. Sigh. At least the corn and potatoes have a little bit of protein from cheese and eggs?

Okay, end ramble about my failure to pick a good mix of recipes. This week I will actually pay attention to the yield in addition to the calories.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #108  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone,

I finally had an "OH NO" moment on Monday when I weighed in at 140. Have been eating under 2000, some days under 1500, since then and trying to be more consistent with exercise. The results are good - have seen steady decrease on the scale every day. I weighed Friday morning (yesterday/today?) at 133...7 lbs of bloat/poop down!??!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #109  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Now KRAMPUS that's a lotta ah...errr....hummm....BLOAT!

Awesome kid...just awesome!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #110  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Krampus, I could believe 7 pounds! No problem! I'm down five since Monday (and I don't have, errrr, uummmm, digestive issues. ). Glad you are feeling better and more "together"!

Saef, I read about your frame on the chat thread. I am very sorry you're having to go through one thing after another - you are really having to pull out every card from the Coping deck. I think about you often and try to forward resiliency as best I can. Does your gym have a heavy bag? Would it be fun to use those strong arms and shoulders to beat the crap out of the nameless, formless Fate by proxy? Could a bit of controlled violence help, at least for a while?
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #111  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi everyone!

Well, the last two weeks were pretty bad, up to Wednesday. I started a new job and the craziness got to me. Plus one of my best friends dropped by before she left for another country (boo to that) and brought a giant box of my favorite cookies that she made. And I know I should have thrown them away when she left but I couldn't. It felt too symbolic, like throwing away our friendship. But let's face it, that was sort of an excuse. If she had given me something disgusting I would have tossed it. Except that she would never have given me something disgusting, she's my good friend!

So lots of yummy cookies...I ate them all. And it did feel nice to think of her and our friendship whenever I ate one.

Overall result of eating cookies plus other unhealthy things plus no time or chance to exercise = bad news on the scale.

I have gotten back on track the past 4 days. And I'm running a marathon tomorrow. But I'm badly undertrained for this one since moving last month and having no time to run. It's NOT going to be pretty.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Hi everybody! I'm still here, reading though have been too pooped to post. Being pooped and also being generally stupid and absent-minded has been a theme all week. I'm not sure whether it's a) calorie intake too low; b) allergies; c) PMS or d) early onset menopause. Seriously, I googled "menopause symptoms mental" this week because there have been some really major brain farts, which is unusual for me. Also upped the calories to maintenance in case that's what it was.

JayZeeJay: Good luck on your marathon! I am back up to running during my walk for the length of three songs on the playlist (not taking any chances on the t*endonitis, see I'm not even going to spell it out in case I jinx it).

JayZeeJay, clippy etc.: Freezing cookies and bits of yummy leftovers is what saves my butt, because I can't stand to throw good food out. I promise myself that I can stick something nice into my packed lunch a couple times a week from the freezer and then I can have yummy stuff to eat for weeks and somehow that saves me from eating everything in the next three seconds. Most of the time anyway.

Sadly, the calorie deficit did not result in the expected scale change although it should have added up properly, argh! So I'm going to have to see if exercise will do it. I have been doing as many of Jillian's squats and lunges as I can bear in addition to the cardio. Getting a bit tired of being perpetually sore. Tomorrow I will try on some work pants again and see if there is progress there.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #113  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Weight is creeping down on my unofficial losing diet. Hovering at the 134/135 boundary the past few days.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #114  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Bronzeager: thanks for the suggestion, but sadly I DID put the cookies in the freezer, neatly stacked in a container. And then I ate them frozen. It didn't deter me (serious cookie monster) in the slightest.
I have a cookie problem. I should know by now that they are one of two foods I just can't have in the house, the other being black licorice.

The good news is that I got a marathon PR yesterday! 4:40 on a hilly course, which for me is good. I had to dig deep the last 6 miles, the pain was pretty bad. But people had signs with that Lance Armstrong quote "Pain is temporary, quitting is forever" and they helped me push through. Plus I knew it was that dull pain of muscle fatigue, not the sharp pain of "ooh, there goes a ligament", and I didn't need to stop. So I'm sore today but proud of myself, which is a nice feeling for a change.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Great time JZJ! And yeah, black licorice is one of my vices.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

The Nutty Chocolatier has all sorts of black licorices from all over the world. SIGH. I can give up almost all other candy but I NEED my licorice sometimes. Luckily they sell it in small, small bags.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #117  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm definitely taking up less space and feeling lighter in the face than last week. I went up a bit over the weekend but was still 4 lb less Monday morning than I was a week ago, and Sunday was a lot of overeating.

Yesterday was a fairly active day - 3.5 mile walk, an hour of raking, and a short but steep mountain hike to watch the sun set. Calories were good though I probably should have cut myself off from the kettle corn late at night.

Photo from hike (that lumpy thing on my front is my purse)

krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #118  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Up a pound and not freaking out about it. Yesterday contained a lunch that was freakishly off-plan, edging into mini-binge. Not sure what drove it, but I reeled it in and had a great dinner. Today all the urges are gone.

Krampus- pretty picture! Good job knocking off 4 in a week's time!

JZJ- Yay for PRs! Congrats!

Jessica, keep on creeping'!

Bronzeager, good to see you again. Hopefully the mental fog is clearing? How'd the pants fit? I tried on some new size 10's (jeans, ugh) and didn't care for them. I have a lot of work to do!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 155.5/120/fit

Hi everyone!

I took a break from logging my diet when I went too low (~114lb) and now I'm back up to 122-124lb. I'd like to get down to 120lb solid, so I'm back to logging my diet. In the last couple of days I've made some questionable food choices BUT I'm more conscious of them than I was before! Plus, I've made some really good decisions: saying no to fast food, drinking more water, and (most importantly) listening to my body when I'm full.

We'll see how it goes
wolflikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I did so well yesterday, or so I thought. I was hoping the scale would show something, but it did not.

I think I'm going to go back to FitDay and log everything there.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote