Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #16  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

SB, thanks. I know what you mean about calculating -- I take the 2.4 I lost and say "I could be done in two more weeks!" As if this could keep up forever.

Midwife, I haven't tried acupuncture on my feet, although I did have it done on my wrists several years ago during my first flare up (before my thyroid was diagnosed) and didn't have any luck with it. I'm considering trying again, but since it didn't help my wrists I'm skeptical. I would go back to PT but I already reached my insurance maximum for PT for the year.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #17  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Hi Jessica - recently came back to the thread so not sure whats up with your feet, but based on what I caught it sounds like some sort of inflammation? Couple different suggestions...def retry acupuncture (and herbs), both have helped much with various pain related issues but it has depended a great deal on the provider, get someone good! Also, I have chronic back pain and was greatly helped by a new treatment that can be a little hard to find, but is worth searching for: Cold Laser therapy. Its been used in vet and also sports med for a number of years but isnt commonly known by many drs. The study below is based on arthritis, but from what Ive read it reduces pain in about 80% of cases for everything from TMJ to old injuries.

here is just one study, but google some others if you are interested...
http://www.jrheum.com/abstracts/abstracts00/1961.html
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #18  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all -
I joined the last thread then life got crazy, so now that the dust is settling a bit I'm back. Confession: I pretty much gave up on weight loss the last month or so, what with moving, renting out my own house, finding a new place to live, starting a new stressful job, and continually navigating the perilous sleazy-shark-infested waters of online dating.

To my surprise, I escaped with only a few pounds of damage. So fortunately I'm still within the 10-lb range of goal weight. Well, maybe 11 or 12 now. I'm struggling with anxiety issues because of all of the new changes . The new job is demanding and complicated, and my pillars of support (best friends, family, work friends) are all gone from my daily life. My big challenge now is to not use food as a friend or a pacifier.

I'm trying to make new friends but it's a slow process and I'm spending a lot more time alone. Thank goodness for pets!!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #19  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi, JZJ!!

xty - I can relate to the unfamiliar scale. Best of luck with the grain additions, and I hope it goes well for you. (crosses fingers)

Last day is tomorrow. I never had a chance to fill in my calorie log today, but I wasn't doing too badly. Lunch went out the window when I was held up at a supplier deep into the afternoon; I found a turkey lawash sandwich at a local supermarket. Dinner wasn't bad except for an extra couple glasses of wine - seems to happen a lot when the spouse and I actually have to converse one on one. We shall see what the damage entails tomorrow morning. I'm here, I'm lurking ... and looking forward to recapturing some control over my life.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Okay, up 5 from my vacation, so now have 17 to lose, but lost 2 yesterday (obvious water weight) so now just 15. Or 10, depending on where I decide to stop.

The in-laws return on October 15 and I'd like to take 5-7 off by then as once they return we all return to the Sunday get-together where I fix a meal. I usually try to impress so it's not often a light meal. That and FIL will be working with DH and me again and we eat lunch together. Our old lunches used to consist of a Smart Ones entree, piece of fruit and a yogurt. These days we've been eating a Medifast soup or similar replacement meal by Weight loss Systems. I wonder what he'll say when we're done eating in 5 minutes and he wants to sit and gab? We've pretty much given up on fruit because of the whole low carb thing and we save our yogurt for our afternoon snack.

Anyway, DH and I are back to eating the Lean and Green dinner meal prescribed by Medifast. We had strayed prior to our vacation as we were both craving pasta. It made me gain back a couple pounds, but not him. Then vacation--eating and drinking in excess despite a lot more activity. I gained the 5 and DH 6 so we're re-committed.

Did I mention that we're expecting over 30 for Thanksgiving dinner this year? Somehow I think they won't be expecting diet food...
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #21  
Workin' It

Wow Allison - 30 people for Thanksgiving...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #22  

Oh, and I forgot to add, I'm a fan of Lifehacker myself. I find it useful when they break down complicated things into easy steps. Once I had read about rooting my Android phone and it seemed so complicated. They had a tutorial that was less than 5 steps if I remember correctly. DS did it in less than 5 minutes!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #23  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

JZJ! These waters aren't shark-infested so come on in.

Becky, re alcohol-assisted comms with spouse.

Allison - It only seems like yesterday that you were telling us about a large number of guests for Thanksgiving in 2010 at your house.

Shannon - Perhaps downward dog tomorrow. How's yours?

Wednesday

Sleep. 7.75 hours.

W. +0.25lb.

E. Decided against the gymn as I planned to weight lift a lot of computer hardware from the office to the car and thence to the tip. I did it very cautiously and rested in between. I decided against the tip today though. NB I think we may now call the tip the recycling centre.

F. Not bad. The DB's pizza was good but I can take or leave pizza.

Stresso. Another good day mostly on my own, making more space in the office. I love space so steps in that direction always cheer me up. I've always had biggish gaps between words in my handwriting. Make of that what you will, graphologists!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #24  
critter lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I've always had biggish gaps between words in my handwriting. Make of that what you will, graphologists!
Hee hee. I had a college roommate who was really into graphology and she insisted on seeing a sample of anyone's writing if they wanted to move in with us. I'm pretty sure she scared off most of our potential roomies with that.

I had a bad carb night yesterday, coinciding with start of TOM. It was borderline binge. Darn hormones! I hate that slightly crazed feeling I get on the first day. Better today, thank goodness, but I'm not weighing in until it's over.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #25  

JayZeeJay~so what kind of critters do you have? I live in So Cal and am "mom" to three fur kids--a black Lab, a tuxedo cat and a ginger tabby kitten (all male so with them and my DH and DS I'm the only female in the household!).

SB~yes, last year I believe I had 27 for Thanksgiving. But there have been some additions and subtractions to families (death, divorce, marriage, birth) and one set of cousins moved back here from Canada, so I am right now thinking it'll be 30 but it could easily grow larger! If that happens, I'll probably have to rent some tables and chairs!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #26  
No description available.

30! So you won't mind if some of us Operation 5-10ers swing by, right?

Hey, JZJ!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #27  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Hello ladies CHecking in. Flirting with 130. WANT to get back UNDER it but first I have to get down TO IT.
really just need to add regular movement, like sporty movement, and I'd be ok.
Funny how I can know this and still be too stuck, lazy, um....Oh yes, freaking exhausted! by all the crap/employment/life/frustration/parenting/homework/multiple intensive sports for 3 out of 4 young children I am always dealing with!! Gosh, I'd really feel better with some work outs.

What's that-- do or not do-- right, no try?? Enough whining. Sorry if your collective eyes/ears are paining right now.

Onward. Plan to post with fewer whines next time thx for reading if you got down here
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #28  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I am now unemployed! but not unpaid; they will pay me thru Friday and then for the 3 days of vacation I had left. . Now I have the whirlwind of scheduling a million little things before I go back to work.

In the midst of it, I WILL exercise, eat well, and indulge in extra sleep.

Weight : still stuck ... the 157 is sticking around for no particularly expected reason. I think I hate that number. It must go.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #29  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Behind again. Welcome JZJ! Welcome back Kitty!

Kitty, was it you who asked about my feet? The short answer is plantar fasciitis. The longer answer is that they think I have some sort of "lupus-like arthritis" but can't tell me what it is, prednisone doesn't help, and all the drugs they could try are more dangerous than the symptoms that I have so it's not worth trying them.

In related news, my podiatrist today gave me anti-inflammatory patches to put on my feet since the tape didn't work. We are trying every last-ditch idea he can come up with. He has one more type of taping he thinks we could try as well. I am leaning toward buying the home ultrasound machine and trying to PT myself at home.

But, my weight is going down still so all is well on that front. 136.2 today. 9 days POP. Next week will be a challenge though. We're doing all-day training at work. I managed to convince them that I should bring my own lunch instead of sharing the lunch they are ordering in because it's too much of a pain to have them special order me something gluten-free. Still, whatever food they have will be sitting around all day and will be hard to resist. Wednesday is Rosh Hashanah so we will be having family over. I'm counting that as my "cheat" meal for the week, and I'll be cheating on gluten as well (I don't think the gluten free diet changed anything so I don't really mind, but I said I'd go gluten-free for all of September).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #30  
critter lover

Thanks for the welcomes all! This board is a lifesaver right now when I'm feeling friendless and alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
JayZeeJay~so what kind of critters do you have?
One dog - Dobie girl from a rescue, still has her ears and tail (she was a runt and the breeder dumped her as a puppy, so she escaped being cropped). She's a pretty recent addition so we're working on, well, everything. And two cats, both short hair girls. This is the fewest animals I've had in a long time, but I just moved to a tiny place so my desire for at least one more dog and some chickens will have to wait.

Paperclippy, I'm sorry about your foot problems. Hopefully something will give you a bit a relief!