Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

View Poll Results: Have you met Steven Tyler?
I've only seen him in concert. 5 8.93%
I've seen him in a non-concert setting. 4 7.14%
I've exchanged words with the man. 4 7.14%
No, I've never laid eyes on him. 36 64.29%
Steven who? 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default Steven Tyler

It seems that many members of 3FC have met Steven Tyler. Have you?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Yep, I've met him at Logan Airport.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #3  

Ok, so as of this moment, 33% of respondents have been either at a concert or in other proximity to ST. Forget 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.....clearly 2 degrees of Steven Tyler is more appropriate!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I thought (for a time when I was fresh out of college) that I would write/photograph for Rolling Stone for a living.

I had a chance to meet quite a few musicians because of hanging with a certain group of people (they provided shall we say chemical diversions to visiting bands).

I met/saw Steven Tyler at bars on 3 separate occasions (only really talked to him the once), once at Pearson Airport, once at Newark, and once I glimpsed him in a restaurant (can't remember the name).

Very charming, very co-operative with fans, etc. etc. Just a really nice man.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I don't know who he is. I replied to the poll before googling him. I thought that was the responsible scientific approach.

ETA It seems as though Dagmar and I are the outliers here at present.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-21-2011 at 05:58 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

He hit on my 16 year old daughter at a mall about 7 years ago (she does look older). blech!!!!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #7  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I think my poll vote should be discounted. I voted seen him in a nonconcert setting...but not in person!
Re: 16yr old girls, he showed great lust for those performers trying for Idol. A bit gross. But yes, charming and seemingly kind.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #8  

We're still running about 25% for seeing ST in one form or another. That's a pretty significant percentage I think.

Kitty, what do you mean by nonconcert but not in person?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #9  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Lol, I've seen him only on TV
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Everyone on 3FC has probably had at least one celebrity encounter in his or her lifetime.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I have seen Steve Tyler three times, each time in Manhattan. Once I saw him get out a limo to attend the premiere of his daughter Liv's movie, "Stealing Beauty." It was fascinating to hear the paparazzi calling out to him in a really familiar manner, as if he were an old friend of theirs. Later, I saw him again in the lobby, where the stars of the movie & their guests were hanging out for publicity photos.

I have also seen Tyler on the street in the city. Once he was walking down the street with some other people. Another time he was standing right outside a restaurant, while someone (not him) apparently was finishing a cigarette. I did the NY thing, which is that I kept going where I was headed, and tried not to stare. If we'd somehow looked at each other (unlikely), I would have nodded and yes, I would have kept going.

I have never done anything but nod briefly or kind of say "hi" while keeping walking after seeing a celebrity. They're in the city, living their lives, and I shouldn't bother them. Kind of like wild animals in their natural forest habitat.

Actually, every couple weeks, in NY, I see someone famous. Famous somewhere, to some people. Usually I have no idea they're famous, though.

The person with me hits my shoulder & hisses or says sotto voce: "Did you see that [guy, chick, woman, older guy]? That was [fill in the blank with a name usually meaningless to Saef]."

Me [trying hard to look without actually turning my head or being seen to be looking] "Uhhhhh [and other unintelligible noises]."

Later, while we're still walking, I ask, "What was the name of that guy we saw coming out of the Spotted Pig?" (or whatever place it was). I try to remember the name, so I can tell the guys that I have lunch with at the office. So the celebrity will not have been wasted on me. Anyway, they are more likely to know the person, due to their out-of-control TV consumption.
(Yeah,I do like trash TV, mostly Bravo, but my taste is less wide-ranging than theirs, and I go to bed earlier than they do.)

Coming back to Steve Tyler: At least I knew who he was, though the second time I saw him, for a moment I thought he was Mick Jagger, though I knew he wasn't. I knew it was Someone Like That, though.

ETA: I am much better at bird-watching & identification than at famous-people-watching & identification. If they had a Sibley's or Peterson's guide for celebrities, that would be really helpful to me.

Last edited by saef; 01-21-2011 at 09:28 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #11  
Super Moderator

"Sibley's guide for celebrities" is the best idea ever. He just did a guide to trees, maybe he's ripe for the next thing.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #12  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

He gets about, this man, doesn't he?

I am very poor on celebs. No tele, you see, apart from the gymn.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
He gets about, this man, doesn't he?

I am very poor on celebs. No tele, you see, apart from the gymn.
Good for you re no tele! It sucks up so much of our time.

I have been trying, for some time, to get DH to put our television away for a month. I recently totalled how much we each watch per week. I'm up to14-15 hours and DH is up to approx 21-23.

And we invariably snack while watching.

Maybe I'll try again in the summer, when there's more daylight and I have more energy in the evening. Right now it's a lazy was to spend those last 2 hours before bedtime.

Re celebs I only recognize musicians from my 20's as that was when I was really, really focussed on it.

Dagmar (Joe Who?)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
"Sibley's guide for celebrities" is the best idea ever. He just did a guide to trees, maybe he's ripe for the next thing.
Potential notes for Sibley's next book:

The Greater Hilton can be identified by her habit of underwear-flashing.

The Lesser Hilton is known for her hair-tossing.

The North American Lohan is usually obscured by paparazzi, but can be positively identified by brilliant plumage.

The Crested Spears is very voluble & visible, and is easily attracted to backyard feeders by cans of Red Bull, while the Shaved-Head Spears is more reticent & tends to skulk in the underbrush.

Last edited by saef; 01-22-2011 at 07:56 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

LMAO at the notes for Sibley's Guide to Celebrities