Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

saef Very glad you checked in. I think you know we would all be there with you picking and sorting and washing, etc. if we could. And I think you also know that we understand the part about

"The only way to get through this, is to get through it."

That's what you are doing and I know you are proud of yourself for facing this head on.

And all of this applies to you too fitmom

Take care of yourselves during this awful time, both of you!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #92  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

SAEF there isn't anybody here that would take the your comparison of your disaster as a slap in the face of that horrible day.

hugs and prayers continue!

May you continue to receive many small blessings as you search for your items and repair your belongings.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, thank you for checking in. You are in my prayers daily that you will come through this better than ever.

Last edited by bargoo; 09-04-2011 at 08:23 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #94  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Hello, Jay! You sound relatively chipper which is good. I hope the tests come back OK as the hospital VLCD can pall after a while!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #95  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thank you very much for checking in with us, saef. Dagmar is right: we'd all be there in our rubber boots and gloves, if we could. I'm pleased that your mother's been able to come. (You've mentioned her van before and I like the sound of it. It sounds like a good vehicle to have in the team.)

It's very good news that some things are OK or can be saved or restored. And you yourself are sounding better now you're able to take action.

If there's anything anyone can do, just ask.

Fitmom, the same to you. Just ask. When do they go back to school? Is it Tuesday? Not long until that routine starts up again.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #96  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

saef, this is your own personal 9/11 in its way. And, I'm sure it does look like that.

Hoping to be out of here soon. Docs take their time... All this fuss over a rather extravagant heartburn... except esophageal spasm doesn't feel like heartburn. It feels like, well, like it could be a heart attack, which is how I come to be here.

Is everyone on drugs these days? I mean prescription drugs. The nurses and doctors keep being astonished that I take none.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Hoping to be out of here soon. Docs take their time... All this fuss over a rather extravagant heartburn... except esophageal spasm doesn't feel like heartburn. It feels like, well, like it could be a heart attack, which is how I come to be here.

Is everyone on drugs these days? I mean prescription drugs. The nurses and doctors keep being astonished that I take none.

Jay
I have even my own doctor asking me if I'd like any meds for various things. Maybe I should suprise him and ask for something outrageous - any suggestions?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
saef, this is your own personal 9/11 in its way. And, I'm sure it does look like that.

Jay
Saef - there just aren't the right words of comfort, I am so sorry you are going through something so horrific.

Jay - glad it was not a heart attack. I had a pleurisy attack in college so I know what it feels like to think you're having a heart attack and it's SCARY!!

To answer the poll - I'm not taking any prescriptions and neither is Jason!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #99  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Jay this is Angie. Gary told me about your post.
I, too, was in the ER with chest pains that turned out to be esophgeal spasms. The doctor put me on a proton pump inhibitor and I felt worse. It basically stopped all acid production in my stomach, and food just sat there. So, I went back to taking Zantac 150 twice daily as previously prescribed.
Then, I changed my diet to include more leafy greens & veggies, less meat and no refined-sugar. I try to eat clean- whole grains, organic... (Gary just loves this )
My new doctor also put me on a natural digestive enzyme, Azeo-Pangen by Metagenics. Since then, I have had no trouble with reflux, unless of course, I overeat.
I recently had a consultation with a certified wholistic health counselor and she helped me with what to eat. She also recommended a book: The Body Ecology Diet that I thought was very helpful.
There are things you can do for acid reflux that don't include taking medication. I think taking the natrual approach is better for you in the long run.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Hugs to Saef in the midst of her tragedy. And I ditto what Gary said about your comparison. Don't feel bad, it didn't even occur to me that it might be a slap in the face to someone. Perhaps another New Yorker who lived in or around 9/11, but not us.

Jay, medicine? None other than birth control pills which I would prefer going off of. Glad that it was heartburn rather than an attack. My BIL had a heart attack just a few weeks ago. Thankfully he is very active and what damage was done seems to be minimal.

fitmom~prayers to you as well for staying strong for your kids.

For our Labor Day weekend, we'll be watching movies (what's new?). We went to see The Debt last night and thought it was very good. Tonight we'll see Insight with a Q&A with the actress afterward. Apollo 18 and Seven Days in Utopia are scheduled for Sunday and Monday.

Other than that we'll be shopping for rain ponchos. Seems that it rains about half the day in Costa Rica so it sounds like something we'll need. I bought extra bug spray yesterday and sunscreen that can be applied to wet skin. I wonder if we'll even need that though. BUt best to be prepared.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #101  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Angie--thanks! I have no intention of taking the medication... at least, not before I check it out. I feel that this is an unusual circumstance, not something I need to take daily meds for.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I just wanna get OUT of here.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #102  
Chuggin' along...

I take very few meds: BC pills, allergy meds as needed for fall allergies (I try to take as few as possible), some advil for TOM cramps (again, as few as possible). Even though I've recently found out I have high cholesterol, I'm trying to lose a few pounds, continue to focus on healthy eating and lots of produce, and reducing stress to deal with it rather than medication. Since I have no other markers or symptoms of heart disease, and had very high "good" cholesterol #s, I'm taking the natural approach for now. It may be genetic but I will try my best to fight it.

Jay, I hope you're home soon! Glad it's not the more serious thing it could be.

Saef, I'm sending my continued thoughts your way. It sounds like you've found a better place to stay, have support from your mom, and are finding some things you can keep from your apartment . I'm happy it's putting you in a better place. Hang in there - you are strong and will make it through. I know just what you mean about the only way to get through it is to get through it. And to echo silver, if there's anything I can do, please let us know.

Fitmom, it sounds good your kids seem "distracted" by the start of school - hopefully it will help them put memories of the storm behind them.

I just got back from taking Emma on a 4-miler on the beach (we actually jogged the first mile to the beach on the pavement since it's overcast and cooler!). I'm trying to tire her out before the rain gets here. It's windy and the surf's up! BF is out surfing. We're getting swell, wind, and will get some rain from Tropical Storm Lee, but shouldn't have any serious effects here. Just enough for an excuse for a tropical storm party. I'm meeting my ladies for book club tonight, other than that BF and I are just planning a long weekend hanging out together with the dog. Should be nice to hang out and spend some time together.What is everyone else up to this weekend?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #103  
No description available.

Saef, I totally get that the only way to get through is to get through. I wish I could be there also helping you and your mother. Isn't it strange---as I read your description, I pictured Irene as a living, breathing thing, rampaging through to do what she was "born" to do, but then having some sympathy and being gentle with a few things so as not to totally break your heart.

As for the comparison to 9/11, of course that was so much more horrific on every level, but I can also see why you make comparisons. One of my friends told me about a soldier who lost his leg below the knee but didn't want to complain because of other soldiers who lost their entire leg. Yes, there are different levels of awfulness and suffering. Yes it is good to recognize the mercies and gifts you have compared to others. But you are still allowed to grieve and rant and be sad and feel traumatized. Your current experience is your own and it is "allowed" to be whatever you need it to be.

Jay, I hope your cardiac workup comes back as clean as a whistle. I know you've been working so hard with your nutrition....now sure how you can clean it up much more than you already have! Glad it appears to be nothing more serious.

Fitmom, how are things?

Meds: contraception. No surgeries either, except for Lasik and wisdom teeth.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #104  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
..... None other than birth control pills which I would prefer going off of....
Allison, you tell that DH of yours to "man up" and git er dun

It isn't a big deal

In and out in an hour and you get to watch sports all week-end on the couch while the wife brings you anything you need....

of course come Monday morning, when you are all healed up for the most part...she's back to being the boss!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #105  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Jay, I'm glad it seems to be reflux and nothing cardiac! I hope you get to go home soon.

Saef, thank you for checking in. I would definitely be there helping you if I could. I'm glad you have your mom with you now though, and that you are finding things that you can save.

As for prescription meds, I used to only take birth control . . . then it was birth control and allergy nasal spray . . . then it was those two plus my thryoid meds, which there are two of. Then with all this tendon junk I have the Lyrica and tylenol added in, and now I take the thyroid pills twice a day, and my endo told me to take a multivitamin and vitamin D, and now I feel like I live in a pharmacy. Sigh. I am going to consult with my OB/GYN when I see her in December about going off the birth control. I really want to reduce the number of medications I take in case they are interacting in some unknown ways. (Well, and I think going off BC might help my sex drive, but that is another issue!)

In other news we are dogsitting my in-laws' doggie (her name is "Booboo" ) this weekend. So far the only problem is that the dogs woke us up every two hours last night and I had to let them out to pee at 5am. Tonight we are going to separate them and put Booboo in a different room, with Carter in the bedroom with us. Unlike Carter, Booboo doesn't care if she gets shut in another room. I think he just kept waking up and wanting attention from Booboo and getting wigged out.

We also decided we have to separate them when we're not home. They were playing together last night and I think it is hard on Carter's back to wrestle with her. We put up the baby gates around our dining room and will corral Boo in there when we leave the house. It's also good for being able to feed them separately since they will fight over food.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote