Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #16  
Workin' It

Saef - I'm so sorry about your apartment, and your insurance. I'm glad that you have somewhere to go that gives you some refuge.

Jessica - I hope the gluten free diet helps.

Allison - sorry about the art, cute kitty though.

Carolyn - glad that you guys weathered the storm.

I'm feeling seriously PMSy this week. Blah.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #17  
Chuggin' along...

Saef, I'm so sorry about your apartment. I'm glad to hear that you're safe, though, and you've got work and a gym there to provide some regularity for you right now.

clvquilts, glad to hear things are ok on your front so far. Good to "see" you!

Jessica, Ashley of The Edible Perspective blog did some gluten experimenting about six months ago and found she's sensitive to gluten in a lot of things. She does a lot of gluten free cooking, including baking, and generally eats very healthily, and I believe her extensive recipe page indicates which are gluten free. It might give you some cooking inspiration.

I talked to my parents (1 hr north of NYC) and my DS (DC area) Saturday before the storm hit. Though they were expecting possible power outages, their homes should have been ok and weren't in low areas. Actually the big news was not Irene but that my Mom has tested positive for Lyme disease. She was feeling rather run-down and had a cold & cough that lingered for over a month, no big symptoms otherwise. She's starting antibiotics and seems rather unconcerned. I am web-mding and googling my little heart out. The only person I know who had lyme had trouble opening jars etc as a result. Though his case was rather bad and went undiagnosed, I'm still concerned.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I forgot to mention that dh and I joined a CSA! We went to a dinner at our temple Friday night. They used the fruits and veggies from the farm and then talked about the CSA. We had done one briefly before where they drop a box at your house but quit because we got a lot of stuff we didn't like and/or the quality was inconsistent.

This one is neat because you go each Sunday and hand pick your week's bounty (not from the ground but you choose your fruits and veggies). For example, we got 1.5 pounds of pitted fruit and we could choose from peaches, apricots and pluots. We ended up with an interesting melon, pluots, heirloom tomatoes, peppers, garlic, cucumbers, squash, strawberries... And, there is always a baked item from a bakery using the farm veggies or fruits-- we got an amazing foccacia bread with onions, peppers, garlic, etc. YUM! I usually don't allow myself stuff like that so I had a small piece and will have to limit myself to just a small amount of our baked goodie. They also often have a "bonus" box that is stuff they have too much of, is overripe, etc. You can take as much as you want. The bonus box had heirloom tomatoes! We took POUNDS of them. They were soft and a little too ripe so dh promptly put them in a sauce which we had for dinner last night. Yummy!

Megan-- good thoughts to your mom.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Saef, I'm so sorry to hear about your apartment flooding. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Around here we still have a lot of people without power (thankfully mine was only out until Sunday evening, so I really can't complain) and destroyed crops but luckily no major flooding.

Michele, enjoy the CSA share! I used to do that and totally loved it! Now I'm working on a farm so I get our "seconds" for free, but in the future I'd definitely sign up again.

Megan, I hope the antibiotics work for your mom. Lyme disease has always scared me - I've had ticks numerous times and I always think about that when I get one.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #20  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

saef, get your FEMA application in! Really!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

saef I'm so sorry about your apartment and your insurance not covering flooding. I know that none of your things are replaceable (that's what made them so special) but perhaps there is some possibility of restoration?

I'm glad you have access to a gym and can work off some of your anxiety about what's to come. And I hope you can obtain some measure of your normal routines in not too long.

And do apply for aid as Jay said. I know you are economically well off but what the heck!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #22  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

FEMA eligibility is not based on income or job status--it is based on whether your home has been destroyed or otherwise rendered uninhabitable, and whether you receive insurance reimbursement for the losses. It is certainly worth downloading the materials and submitting an application.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-29-2011 at 10:22 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #23  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

First time I've checked this thread in over a week. Oh Saef, I'm so sorry that happened. What a miserable experience. Guess the "overhyped" storm was still a major big deal to the folks who ended up getting flooded. Lack of flood coverage on your insurance is a particularly nasty "insult to injury" as well. I hope you have some supportive people at home and work.

Jessica, sorry the course of prednisone didn't work, but in a way it's good news. You really, really don't want to be stuck with an autoimmune disease that is only treatable with a drug as toxic as prednisone.

Michele, your CSA sounds cooler than mine. We get to pick 6-7 items from a possible 10-12 each week, but hardly any fruit and no baked goodies. And we don't get very much of anything (though 1.5 pounds also doesn't seem like a lot), considering we are a family of 5.

Life is calm here in the midwest. No storms, no sickness, no threats to our vehicles, and two of our 3 boys are away with grandparents at the moment :>) DH and I finished re-carpeting and re-painting our family room last week, and now just (just! hah!) need to put all the furniture and objects back to rights in there. Next up- the boys' bedrooms. Thank goodness they like "sleeping over" in each other's bedrooms so we can move each one out in turn.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #24  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hugs SAEF.....our family/friends in Jersey came out ok....wet and lost power and trees...boy oh boy the trees that came so close to their homes....but missed.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Oh saef - that's just heartbreaking. Sending supportive thoughts for you to find your path through this.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs up a change in the air

This is my last week of "official" summer . It looks like the weather is going to be beautiful for all of it so I'm going to take a 4-day weekend and enjoy the heck out of it outdoors. No overeating or beer drinking allowed!

After a really slow August (economically speaking ) it also looks like Laffie is going to start paying for himself in September. If all the puppies that are supposed to show up do I will be full to capacity on all of my midday walks and have 4 dogs on the others. And my ancient senior sweeties (differentiated from my senior sweeties) are hanging in there. So the bus will be full to overflowing for this fall.

DH finally finally submitted a resume for a job. I have been standing firm with him re all the excuses he's been giving me and I think it finally sank in that he has to go back to work full time and earn a decent wage. He has to be a grown up now - I will accept no less.

And finally I am going to try to get someone else to take my dad grocery shopping every Saturday (or weekday as it will be another senior who can still drive). I never can go anywhere or do anything on the weekend due to this and have been feeling trapped by it.

My dad called me exactly once in the last 3 months and that was to demand something and threaten me if I didn't comply immediately. Half a century of this. Enough already!

I like fall! I tend to get back on track and start doing something proactive with my life during this season.

Good day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #27  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Oh, dear. I've been MIA for so long - multiple visits from friends/family, some traveling of my own, and a huge, overwhelming project at work - and I'm just finding out about your losses, saef. I am so, so sorry for you. Please know that I am glad you are physically safe, but understand that this is a heavy grief and burden to bear. I hope you can find a small measure of encouragement and support here at 3FC.

My goal for the week is to simply check in every day here. I've been doing OK, but I'm letting my emotions have too much power over me lately. It's affected my eating some, and I don't want to go down that slippery path to emotional overeating. Ugh.

I'm going to procrastinate some work now and poke around the threads. I honestly think that will help.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #28  
Workin' It

Dagmar - Hope the job search goes well for DH. And I think it is a good idea to get someone else to drive your dad if you can. I know it has been a source of frustration for you.

Saef - definitely apply for FEMA. Thinking about you today.

Andrea - home renovation, always fun.

Michele - enjoy the CSA! I just got back into the local farmers market basket last week, too.

Megan - I hope your mom caught it in time and that the treatment goes well.

Iris - glad that you didn't have any damage where you were.

Tired this week. TOM has hit hard - I have a serious headache from it.
On the upside, I hit my highest squat weight ever on Sunday - 3x5x130. Pretty proud of myself.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #29  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Happy Birthday, Silverbirch !!!
Thank you, bargoo. This made me cry. It was a rather make-do kind of day yesterday but I do know that some birthdays can be like that. The benefit of experience, I suppose!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #30  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Silver, you have an entire thread of happy birthdays waiting for you! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/livi...lverbirch.html

Saef, how are you doing? (I know she may not have internet access, but it couldn't hurt to ask...)

Dagmar, good luck to your DH on his job search.

Andrea, thanks. On the one hand I did test positive for some antibodies so I still may have that autoimmune disease, but whatever it is isn't particularly serious apparently. It is just frustrating to not have a diagnosis though. Right now it's mostly just waiting it out until it decides to go away on its own or decides to act up and give me more symptoms.

Megan, I hope the antibiotics work quickly for your mom!

We had a CSA one year, but they didn't have much variety and we ended up getting almost nothing but lettuce and beets. Plus other stuff which we were growing on our own. We just got whatever they had, no options to choose anything. So we decided instead to just go buy veggies at the farmers markets rather than doing a CSA the past two years.

Thanks for the gluten free tips guys. It's going pretty well so far. It's actually easier than the Passover diet. I'm probably not 100% compliant because the oats that I have been using for breakfast are probably contaminated with wheat, but I figure that since I'm just giving it a shot to see if it helps that small amount of gluten shouldn't really matter. It will still be way less gluten than I normally eat.

I've also been trying to eat more fish. Last week on vacation it was easy because we were right near Lake Michigan and all the restaurants had fresh whitefish. This week I bought a bunch of canned salmon and canned tuna. I made salmon cakes Sunday night (very easy -- ingredients: salmon, egg.). Tonight will be a tuna recipe. I'd rather try to get more fish in my diet than take fish oil supplements.

I guess at this point I am kind of in a phase where the medical establishment has failed to fix what's wrong with me, so now I'm turning to whatever alternatives there are which I can still reasonably consider safe. On the one hand I am vaguely considering going back to the acupuncturist I saw several years ago. On the other hand, the acupuncture didn't work on my wrists back then, so why should I expect it to work on my feet?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote