Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Exactly. But now I'm getting too close to offering official advice. Good luck!
I'm gonna call and make an appointment with a doctor tomorrow. I'm not sure whether to see the OB I've been working with, or go locally, to a general practitioner. The OB has hesitated to do any sort of tests, and just wants me to go on Clomid to make me ovulate and maybe get more regular. The GP might do some tests and see if there's a hormone imbalance.

The OB will likely not be able to see me for a month or more. The GP can probably get me in this week.

I'm at a loss right now...gotta decide though!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #17  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I think you've gotten some really good advice here already about the coconut oil. I second that recommendation!

Hmmmm...guess I eat so much fat (healthy) during a day, I never could imagine that one might actually be deficient in it.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #18  

I slipped into the habit of using low fat or fat-free items to save calories, never really thinking that too little fat could be a problem. I think the effects it had on some things, particularly my hormone levels, didn't show up until I went off the pill earlier this year/at the end of last year. We'll see.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Oh Mindi--bless you! I hope this gives you some answers. I just remember what a blessing/revelation it was for me to feel like I'd found the missing link in my diet. I was really fortunate I didn't end up having to see a doctor or dietician, it really was just a fluke!

Also, not to be a busy-body, but I noticed since you're in "the boonies" you may not have access to a whole foods. Nutiva is having a sale on their website for the coconut oil, if you're interested. Then it can come to you, and you don't have to go search it out! Also, I buy the 54oz tub, which price-wise seems like a big expense, but that tub will last me a whole year if not longer, and doesn't go rancid. They also offer smaller sizes if that appeals to you, too!

Good luck
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #20  

Thanks, paperdollme! The nearest Whole Foods is a 2 hour drive from here. The nearest "real" store where I can get anything remotely "specialty" is 40 miles. I looked for ground flax or flaxseed, and found none. There's a drug store here in town that might have it...but it's closed today so I'll check there Monday!

Today, adding an avocado to lunch, I hit a good fat goal for the day. I'll make a concerted effort to do it every day from here on out and see what happens.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #21  

Kinda bummed...

My MIL is a nurse at the local clinic I was going to make an appointment with this week. We went to her house last night and I brought up the problem with her, and told her I was going to make an appointment. Her response:

"Why? You don't look like you're gaining weight. And you're not overweight."

And then it was blown off, like it's no big deal. And that's what I'm afraid of...that the reaction from the doctor will be the same. This isn't a problem anyone is taking seriously at all...like it's NORMAL to just gain random weight for no reason.

I'm still in a healthy weight range now, but if I don't figure out what's wrong, I won't be for long.

So now I'm afraid to go to the doctor.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #22  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Find a Registered Dietitian. You may not need a referral for this, but it's easy enough to find out by calling your insurance company. A dietitian is more likely to take your concerns seriously. And I think you could use some objective input rather than trying to figure it out yourself or being bummed out by your MIL's comments.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #23  

As far as dietitians are concerned, how do you know if the person is a good one? Like, are they supposed to have certain ratings or certifications? There are one or two in the next biggest town over, but they don't have websites or anything. I hate to make a blind appointment, since this will involve me taking a day off work in what's about to be a very busy time...

ETA...just found my own answer!

Last edited by MindiV; 07-25-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #24  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Mindi, I feel like we've talked about this before, but in addition to being evaluated for PCOS please make sure your doctor does a full thyroid workup. Even if you've tested negative for hypothyroidism before, if your symptoms (in this case weight gain) have gotten worse, a new test might reveal something different.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #25  

We talked about it before, but I think it was before I went to the OB. All he said was "your thyroid feels fine" and then started me on pills to make me start my TOM. He didn't want to do any tests...and you see the reaction I get from the local doctor's nurse. I hope I could go to the doctor here and he'd take my concerns somewhat seriously, even if he ordered tests he didn't really think I needed...but I'm afraid he'd blow me off and make me cry right there in his office!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #26  

Just called to make a doctor's appointment for Thursday morning. The woman on the phone asked my name and what the purpose of the appointment was. I know the lady. She knows me. I told her "problems with unexplained weight gain."

She laughed.

Lovely.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

That's really frustrating, Mindi! I truly believe you can set the tone of the appointment though. Go with your food logs and explain what has been going on. Come prepared with notes and ideas so she/he knows you mean business. I'm sorry you're already feeling like you're on the defensive--but try to go in with a positive attitude--this is about fact finding and problem solving...any doctor worth their salt will try and and help you. Even if its "just ten pounds" or you're within healthy weight range. There is still something unexplainable going on--don't let the doctor bully you into thinking you should just relax because you're still in a healthy weight range. Urgh--good luck!
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #28  

Thanks, paperdollme! I'm trying to tell myself that the attitudes of the lady who answered the phone, and my MIL/his nurse, don't reflect his attitude necessarily. I think it will be fine...I will go in totally prepared!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #29  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Height: 5'4"

Mindi, I don't post much, but I've been following your story and I just wanted to agree with this:

Quote:
That's really frustrating, Mindi! I truly believe you can set the tone of the appointment though. Go with your food logs and explain what has been going on. Come prepared with notes and ideas so she/he knows you mean business. I'm sorry you're already feeling like you're on the defensive--but try to go in with a positive attitude--this is about fact finding and problem solving...any doctor worth their salt will try and and help you. Even if its "just ten pounds" or you're within healthy weight range. There is still something unexplainable going on--don't let the doctor bully you into thinking you should just relax because you're still in a healthy weight range. Urgh--good luck!
And say you should insist on the hormones test.

I also wanted to congratulate you on not giving up. Seriously, I get bummed enough when I overeat and gain weight, I can't imagine NOT overeating and gaining and being this level-headed about it. I'd be all "bah, what's the point?" and stuffing my face with chocolate by now, I'm sure!
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #30  
No description available.

How unprofessional. Sorry you have to deal with all of this.

OCPs are a tx for PCOS so (if you have PCOS) you may have inadvertantly been managing your symptoms without even knowing it. Going 7 months without a period while not pregnant, lactating, on hormonal contraception or menopausal is NOT normal (and increases the risk for endometrial cancer!). You have facts on your side, Mindy. A good doctor needs to listen to these facts. You are NOT doing anything wrong by getting these symptoms evaluated.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote