Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'6"

Default New to this site, originally posted in 30-somethings, pointed here.

Hi all!! I originally posted this in the 30-something's group, but they pointed me into this direction. My big deal is maintaining. ... here's my story:

Hi there!
I'm BakingChick, a 30 something who went looking for a place I can come for help, info, and support for this horrible thing called weight Three years ago I was 200 lbs. Somehow, I don't know how, but I found my grove for the first time in my life, and was able to lose 70lbs in about 9 months (a healthy, realistic 2-3lbs a week). It was hard at first, but once I got on the losing weight band wagon, I road it easily all the way down to 130. I was feeling good, happy about how I looked. Never ever thought I'd weigh that. I thought 150 would be my goal, but I just kept losing.
Anyway, the maintaining has been so hard on me. I was good for a while, but it's soooooo hard to stick to eating good and exercizing when you're not getting rewarded by a smaller number every time you step on that scale. It seems once I added a few more things into my diet, I suddenly lost all my good-healthy diet thinking and turned into the old me, all or nothing. Here come the days of "screw it, I ruined the good eating day already, might as well get in everything I want now, and start again good tomorrow". Tomorrow, story of my life. And now I just can't seem to stop with the bad eating habits. I've gained back 10lbs since the beginning of last winter. I'm hovering between 135 (on a good week) and 140 (on a week like this week).
I still work out; I work out more now than before, trying to even out the bad food I've eaten for the day, but it's not enough.
Any help out there?
Oh, quick about me. I'm a stay at home mom to three. Who adores baking And could do it all day, every day. Keeping my hands busy making it so that I don't eat it
BakingChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

BakingChick! Congrats on your loss!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Wonderful that you lost that weight!

Yes, maintenance is really where the hard part begins. Some people find themselves, well, going pretty mental about it.

One thing I'd suggest is that you try not to think of eating as "good" or "bad." If you label something "good eating," then you're bound to view any variation that comes up as "ruining" it--and it sounds like you use that as a license to keep on "ruining" it! Instead, there is just eating, and the choices that you make at every food opportunity. Some choices are better than others, but no need to sweat every bite.

I'd also suggest that you not think of exercise as an antidote for overeating. For one thing, it doesn't work. For another thing, it can become like "punishment," and that makes a person feel even less like doing it.

I'm sure lots of other folks will have some good words for you too!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!
Yes, we all find maintaining difficult to some extent-- except a few exceptions......
You've come to the right place for support!
I found 3FC after I had lost most of my weight and it has been a godsend. Truly.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #5  
Workin' It

Hi there Baking Chick! Welcome aboard!

I'm another one who has more trouble with maintenance than I ever had with weight loss. I'm currently on an weight upswing, but working my way back down.

This forum has been invaluable in the last two years. Looking forward to getting to know you! If you haven't already, check out our weekly chat.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Adding my welcome! I've been maintaining for the last month or so, and it took about 16 months before that to lose the weight. 3FC has been great through it all.

I love baking, but simply don't do it as much as I'd like because of both time and the temptation. I'll give away tons of stuff, but at some point people WILL refuse brownies when they're given them every other day.

Come join the weekly chat, but feel free to post wherever you'd like!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #7  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingChick View Post
the maintaining has been so hard on me.
I was good for a while,
but it's soooooo hard to stick to eating good and exercizing
when you're not getting rewarded by a smaller number every time you step on that scale.

now I just can't seem to stop with the bad eating habits.
I've gained back 10lbs since the beginning of last winter. I'm hovering between 135 (on a good week) and 140 (on a week like this week).
I still work out; I work out more now than before, trying to even out the bad food I've eaten for the day, but it's not enough.
Any help out there?
Hi Baking Chick,
This is a great forum for support,
Welcome.

If you'd like even more help and support
you can find that at my personal .com website, DietHobby,
which I created to help me maintain and to encourage others.
I post articles, recipes or inspirational videos daily.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!!!

I'm kind of a maintenance failure. I'm re-losing what I've gained over the past 5 years. Maintaining is hard--we all have our struggles with it. Hopefully this time I'll find my groove and stick to it, but first another 10 pounds to go! I have to remember that even a 2 or 3 pound gain is a sign that I have to get back on track and not allow that 2 or 3 pounds to stay with me!

And I'm not much of a baker any more (did a lot of that in high school). Now I'm more addicted to cooking and I try to make it healthy for me and my family and make it taste great. I StumbleUpon cooking sites when I'm bored at work and print out reams of recipes (which I really need to organize!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

One thing about maintenance , it is eternal, it is forever. I try not to forget that. When I get, lazy, bored, complacent or all of the above it is easy to revert to old habits and go for the icecream , cake, cookies or some other fattening food. That does not mean I can never have those things, it means I can have it in moderation. I can have one piece of cake, I never have a whole cake in the house I know that is too dangerous.If I let down my guard the pounds creep back or come back at a full gallop if I don't put on the brakes.I have to think like a diabetic who knows they can't have sugar or a person allergic to shell fish , the person who is allergic or who has health problems never forgets it. I don' t dwell on food but it is never far from my mind. I still count calories and still plan all my meals ahead of time. I am a baker, too but I give all the goodies away, usually to my church.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote