Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default According to my driver's license, I'm in maintenance!

Last Saturday I went to the DMV to get my address changed on my license, and decided to get my weight updated as well (my previous weight was listed as 170, which was . . . optimistic, to say the least).

As I walked out of the building holding my temporary license I was struck by two things:
1. DMV photos are never flattering and I’m no exception, but gosh darn it, look at those collarbones! And,
2. I was proud to have my weight listed at (a completely accurate) 120. I didn’t feel any twinge at all of “Oh, 120 is OK for now, but I still want to reach _____.”

I guess what I’m saying is I think I’ve reached the so-called happy weight.

This transition to maintenance has happened rather gradually, and has somewhat, I suppose, sneaked up on me. It wasn’t so much that stopped “trying” to lose weight. I bottomed out at 116 and had to work furiously to stay there, then gained some weight on vacation, but my body seems pretty happy (at the moment!) at 119-120. I’ve been eating 1450-1500 cals on average per day and running, and I think both of those are sustainable indefinitely.

I’m trying to keep in mind the things I have learned by lurking in the maintainers’ forum and reading threads from both long- and short-term maintainers: that maintenance isn’t a static situation, and that I will constantly need to avoid complacency and remain aware. I fully expect to be a calorie counter forever, and I’m OK with that; it is, after all better than the alternative!

I know I have various food and body image “issues” that may crop up from time to time, but for today I’m just going to bask in the joy of knowing that I’ve reached a milestone on this journey that I started almost 16 months ago. After a lifetime of obesity, it feels SO good to say that I’m healthy and active and feel good about my body. Yay for reaching maintenance!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #2  
Debbie

S/C/G: 317/see ticker/185

Height: 5 10

Congratulations! You're such an inspiration!!
SeeImTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Good for YOU!!! I always love to hear it when someone's reached their "happy place"!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations! I always lie on my drivers license... not sure why, it's not like anybody besides people who REALLY don't care see it. That'll be a great milestone, and I'm so happy for you that you achieved your happy weight!
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Congrats on reaching your happy weight!! Here, the weights are not actually listed on our license, but it is on file. I just went in for a new one on Saturday, and will you believe I actually thought about lying UP on my weight? Dysmorphic, negative thinking. For one, I thought the woman would think, 130 lbs???? Who does she think she is kidding? She must weigh at least 150. Come step on the scale over here and prove it. My second thought was I'll probably just gain it back, so I should put my normal weight. Self-sabotage. Yes, I'm crazy. Why do you ask? LOL
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236//135

Height: 5'4"

Awesome! Congratulations!!
breannabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Congratulations
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations Jen. THAT IS AWESOME! You have done a wonderful thing for your physical and mental health!

Funny you mention the DMV, I just had a DMV NSV last week. Here in NE we renew our drivers licence every 5 years, and the weight on my last DL was 290, which I clearly remember lying! I did not want to put the dreaded 300. Anyway, this time I listed 140 and like aimeebell, I considered lying UP, and putting 145, "just in case". Though, it was strange...the DMV employee never once mentioned the old/new weight/picture. I was all prepared to defend my identity. lol.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Congrats!

I SO need to get a new one. I get stares all the time when I present it. I can almost tell people want to say something. I think my weight is listed at 250 on it and the picture is actually quite flattering and I don't look 250, but I certainly don't look how I look now either!

I'm not sure why I haven't gotten a new one...my address is even wrong LOL!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #10  
Becoming a BEAST!

S/C/G: 161.6/161.6/120

Height: 5'2.5"

Congratulations! Great job!
Ekicna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #11  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Congratulations,
I'll never forget how excited and happy I was when I got
a new driver's license showing my new accurate maintenance weight.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote