Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #1  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Interesting observation by my Dentist.

We always think about our physicians when it comes to our weight. Fear of facing the dreaded scale, the totally humiliating gyno exams...the lectures, the lack of lectures. Every Doctor topic has pretty much been covered here at 3FC. But what about our Dentist? They typically see us every 6 months, more often than our MD's.

So, I went to the dentist (in the city) for my check-up on Tuesday. My Dentist has noticed my weightloss and has complimented me on it before, but this time she was pretty much gushing.

She told me that NEVER in all her years of practice, has one of her patients who had lost ANY (noticeable)weight, has consistently come back for their check ups the same size. She said a few have made it between 6 month check ups, but never past that. She told me I was it....the only patient she has ever had who has maintained a weight loss for more than a 6 month period. That is hard to believe. As a special bonus, she gave me an extra tube of toothpaste and a new proxabrush. LOL She was more proud of me than our family GP.

Any cool Dentist stories?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't have a dentist story, but I wanted to just say that you are extraordinary! I'm glad your dentist let you know that she noticed. Way to go!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #3  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

That's because you, Lori Bell, are a superstar! My regular doc did say at my last appointment that I was "beating the odds" by continuing to maintain.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I agree Lori Bell! You are a superstar!
I have a dentist story.
My dentist has been with me through my transformation. I had a lot of dental work done n 2009 and last year, so she's been with me through it all. Well, at first, I thought I should have a goal for losing weight, so I chose my 30 year reunion from high school, which actually isn't until 2012, but I was thinking it was 2011. This transformation just seemed to take on a mind of its own and really took off. I figured I might be able to lose 50 lbs. or so by the reunion.

Well, I have lost 101 and am past my original goal. Every time I would go into the dentist, she would just go nuts and be so happy for me (truly) and call in her entire office staff to talk to me about how I was doing it, etc. Now we are all collecting pics of different hairstyles so that if my hair ever grows back I can have a cute style. They have become my friends. So odd. Never had that happen before. She made me free bleaching trays ($300+) and even gave me free bleach. She said that she felt that she's invested in all of this. Like I'm on some makeover show or something.

I wish I could thank her (beyond just saying thanks) for everything she has done for my self-esteem. Every time I go in there, I feel like I'm a famous person. LOL That doesn't happen anywhere else in my life. She is also a long-distance runner, like me, so we have run many of the same races and compare notes, etc. I am planning to write a really nice letter and send it to her office. I have never had such wonderful care from any healthcare professional.

I am so happy for you Lori! I can only hope that I can keep this up and be a maintainer like you!! It was a year for me yesterday....not in maintenance, but since I started my weightloss plan, and I'm so glad I started when I did. Thanks for posting this.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

That's awesome Lori!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Oh gosh you guys, thanks for the nice words.

Oh and Milmin...congratulations on your one year anniversary! I think start date anniversaries are by far the most exciting ones.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-16-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #7  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Way to go, Lori
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Lori, you're right. When I was too afraid & ashamed to go to a medical doctor, because I knew I'd get lectured on my weight, I still went regularly without fail to my dentist. I showed up there at my heaviest. So she's seen me through thick & thin. Literally.

And you know what one NSV has been? It's easier to lift my upper body from a reclining position to spit into that little tiny round sink with flowing water in it. Once upon a time, I was so heavy & weak that I found this somewhat difficult & humiliating. It's that old "beached whale" feeling that I shudder to remember, as it's still so vivid in my mind.

My dentist -- or rather, the dental hygienist, the one who really spends time with me, as opposed to the dentist, who just breezes in, takes a look & breezes out -- has said that I've "melted away," but she says it in a happy, excited & pleasant way. She is not alarmed or insulting at all. Of course, she's thin & healthy & has always been that way, so she has no issues to work out on me.

Yeah, Lori, I'll bet you start looking forward to your six-month checkups, just to prove you've made it even further, you're still healthy. It's a great way to measure.

And I forgot to tell you that your new avatar picture looks great. Look at that little butt of yours turned sideways in those jeans. I don't know what your waist measurement is in pants, compared to what it was, but I bet you're tiny. You are taking me back to the Jordache jeans ads of my distant youth. (Which is a compliment as they used to epitomize all I aspired to be, as a fat teenage girl. I was a size 14 going on 16 & Jordache didn't make sizes that went up to mine.)

Last edited by saef; 06-17-2011 at 10:56 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #9  

Great story Lori. For me it was the first couple times I went to have a mammogram as I was losing. The technician actually thought she had the wrong old shots for comparison because the change was so dramatic
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #10  
keep on keepin on

S/C/G: 239 highest 227//227/150

Height: 5'2"

That is awesome! You are such an inspiration!
airbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

You rock and roll. I remember reading your posts so often during my weight loss journey. Unbelievably helpful for me! Now, in maintenance, I enjoy your posts even more.

Bet you could find something online for that nice dentist of yours:-)
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote