Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Hugs Shannon! You're doing it right. The XW is probably the root of the problem.

Cute puppy, Michele! Congrats! And good luck with the potty training!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Righty is spotted like an appaloosa. (I didn't even know that these dogs had a spotted variety. The things that I learn on 3FC.) If he were an appaloosa, he would definitely be a show pony. His markings have lots of pizzazz and give him so much individuality. I bet he'll have a great personality.

I'm still in Upstate New York, visiting with my mother, using the nearby gym in the village, making her shopping rounds with her and watching her TV shows at night. Oh, and ceding to the demands of her cat, Fritz, for me to get up at 5 AM & let him out -- he walks on my pillow & over my face & bites my hair till I get up -- and let him in 20 minutes later, and let him out 10 minutes later, etc. (repeat as often as Fritz considers it necessary) and rub him, or stop rubbing him when it bores him, and feed him, so he can have his four or five dainty bites & then let the food sit for the rest of the day, drying out, so that he won't eat it again a few hours later & wants fresh food instead. Despite all this, I do love him. He's a great lap cat, though with a purr so faint you have to rub his throat with your index finger to feel it resonating inside him. And he's quite handsome, long-haired, with the tuxedo markings, and a bushy tail that he carries straight up in the air, slightly tilted forward, like a black ostrich plume, and a swagger in his walk. Most of all, I love how Fritz sat on my father's hospital bed in the living room constantly during the last weeks of his life, keeping a vigil. And how he curled up with my mother the night my father died & then hardly left her side for days. Nothing beats a good cat. (Except maybe a good dachshund pup.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Shannon I guess kids learn early how to push adult buttons.

Michele Cute pup! Is that coloration what they call "blue merle"? Congratulations! I had no idea dachsies came in so many colour variations. The newborn B & W looks kinda like a guinea pig to me.

I'm on day 2 of alligator puppy wrestling (I'm posting in 2 places and getting a little confused).

Good hump day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #19  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Cute puppy Michele!

Saef, that is a lovely story about the cat helping out at a hard time for your family.

Dagmar, I'm doing the same thing. Which thread did I post what on??

Passover is over and I'm back on the wagon for calorie counting for at least a couple weeks (read: until I get sick of it and take a week off). It's a bit easier since DH is on a strict plan so I don't have to deal with getting tempted to eat because of him constantly going to the kitchen for snacks in the evening. Part of his plan instructions are to finish eating 3 hours before bedtime (he never quite makes it because we go to bed so early, but at least he's not eating super late). Also, I don't have to worry about him eating my food.

So far cooking just for myself has been interesting. Now I can cook a recipe that Cooking Light says serves 4, and actually get 4 servings out of it. On the one hand it's nice because I don't have to cook as much, but on the other hand I'm starting to push even MY limit for eating leftovers, which is pretty high (mostly because they're still Passover leftovers, and I really am not a huge fan of meat & potatoes). But, I got to eat spaghetti last night and raisin bran this morning, and amazingly dropped a pound overnight even though I probably hit 2200 cals yesterday.

This Sunday is the annual Mutt Strut, where you get to walk your dog around the speedway to raise money for the humane society. I'm hoping that my feet recover from the soreness of the cortisone shots and feel better enough for me to go. Assuming my feet aren't still hurting our plan is to go and just walk a little way around the track and back (like 1/4 mile) rather than trying to do the whole 2.5 miles which would be too much for my feet.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Shannon

Michele Cute pup! Is that coloration what they call "blue merle"? Congratulations! I had no idea dachsies came in so many colour variations. The newborn B & W looks kinda like a guinea pig to me.

Dagmar
Dagmar-- his coloration is a "reverse dapple". I also had no idea there were so many variations now. We've had two dachshunds in the past in the traditional black and tan colors. I was wanting something a little more unique this time. The more unique you get, the higher the cost though! That was one reason we decided to get this puppy now. The litter I had been waiting on only had one "interesting" color and the puppy was $1400! Just a tad out of my budget. The breeder told me if she gets a certain color variation she can charge $2200-2500 for it! Wow! So my puppy will only be vaguely unusual!

We are thinking of names for him. So far the leading contenders are Brutus (anyone ever see The Ugly Dachshund? In it there is a Great Dane named Brutus with 3 Dachshunds-- he thinks he is a Dachshund! Our other dog is a Great Dane!), or Dewey (as I am a Librarian-- after the Dewey Decimal System). Any other name ideas?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #21  
slow and steady

Michele, I like Dewey! They say good names for dogs are two syllables and end with "-y" or "-o" sounds (e.g. "Sally", "Howie", "Roscoe"). Of course my family has never followed that pattern except by accident -- my parent's dogs over the years were named Akiba, Schroeder, Holly, Scruffy, and Bill. Plus my dog Carter who came pre-named, and my sister's dog is named Kishka.

Not following those rules I think "Bean" and "George" are cute names for little dogs. A Dachshund looks kind of like a bean...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #22  
Workin' It

I like Dewey. I also thought he looked like a Sidney when I looked at the picture, though I don't know why.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #23  

I'm such a sucker for a furry face. Alligator puppy was much calmer today (probably because I was). At one point she ran to me for protection, sat on my feet, and gazed up at me with such intent in her face that all my resolve to let her go was lost in about 1.4 seconds.

I've never had this experience with a human baby but I imagine that's what moms are doing when they gaze down into their baby's face.

So, unless she tries to rip my head off tomorrow (or poops in the car) she is on the bus full time. Who knows, maybe my client will tell me he's changed his mind. We'll see on Friday.

I'm waiting for the hail and tornadoes to start here (just rain so far). We are on a "storm watch", as opposed to a "storm warning" - the weather people are a tad odd I think. I saw photos of devastation in Arkansas so I shouldn't jest.

Good weather to all this evening!

Dagmar (puppy )
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #24  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Popping in:
Michele, that puppy baby looks so so so sweet, yum! Enjoy
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I love the names people give their dogs. My friend Dottie's dog (a poodle) is named Jack Daniels. MY Friend Nadine who is a golfer has two beagles, Arnie and Jack.
If I were renaming Righty I would pick a German name to go with his nationality.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #26  
Working My Way Back Down

My 3 year old cat - who has siamese markings but is very long-haired, came named Simone. It suits her to a tee - she's a French princess, but such a tomboy.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #27  

Our cats came with the names "Twinkie" and "Benjamin". I think "Mudpie" and "Mishka" suit them much better.

My clients mostly have interesting names for their pets. I have one couple who name their pets after international politicos or goverment officials. So we've had Boutros, Nico, Hugo, Hosni, and now Javier Perez. There's a new dog coming in July to their household and I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

Other dogs include Poppet, Morley, Solo, Luther, Fergus (had 2 of those), Friday, and the more plain Max, Indy, Mickey, Chloe, Jasmine, etc.

The most original dog name I've hear was D'fer (pronounced Deefer). Her full name was D'ferdog - D for Dog. Cute!

Dagmar
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #28  

D'fer! I love it! Kind of along the line of Deeohgee (D.O.G. sounded out).

I'm contemplating a major change. I've really got to do SOMETHING as nothing seems to get me going. I'm going to mull it over for a few more hours and talk to DH--he might have to do it with me...

Ringo the cat has decided that our bed is the place to sleep--but not until about 2 or 3 in the morning. And of course he has to knead the blankets for half an hour before he goes to sleep (do they ever grow out of that?). Chico has finally resigned himself to sharing his space with the kitty and now stays on the bed when the cat jumps up. He used to jump off and then on again every once in a while checking to see if the cat was still there. Imagine 80 pounds of dog jumping on and off the bed at 3 AM. That does not equate to a good night's sleep. Now we just have to deal with the purring.

So the Hawaiian cruise is set for June 2012. This is to celebrate my in-laws 50th anniversary which is actually in April, but we don't want to go without the kids and it'd be too hard to get the kids out of school in April, so we'll wait until they're out of school. We got 4 rooms, side by side, each with a balcony on the port side of the ship. I think we'll have a good time!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #29  
slow and steady

Allison, the Hawaii cruise sounds great! I think dogs and cats jumping on and off my bed while I tried to sleep would drive me nuts.

Speaking of dogs driving you nuts while you try to sleep . . . DH has been getting up extra early to do his P90X workouts, and today he had the Yoga X workout which is extra long, so I set the alarm for him for 5:00 instead of 5:20. Usually I have the alarm at 5:20, he gets up, I set it for 6:20, get up to take my thyroid pills, go back to bed, then get up at 7:00. Today DH got up at 5, I got up for my pills at 6 and went back to bed, and then Carter decided that since dad was up 20 minutes early I should get up at 6:40 instead of 7:00. It's not like I was super tired -- I went to bed at 8:45 last night -- but that dog was driving me nuts! At 6:40 he came to the side of the bed and started whining at me, so I rolled over with my back to him. He went to the other side of the bed to whine at me. I kept rolling over to put my back to him since that usually calms him down, but I swear he whined, grumbled, grunted, and moaned at me for 20 minutes straight until I finally got up. What a dog.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #30  

How I wish I could sleep in until even 6 am! This morning, probably due to the incessant purring, I thought my alarm had gone off at 4:04 (it's actually set for 5:05). I sat up, which caused both animals to jump off the bed, then I had to really THINK about what time it was, what time I get up, etc. until I realized I had another hour to sleep. I laid back down and the animals jumped back up and then purring began once again...

We only get the whiny dog syndrome on weekends when we do manage to sleep in a little.