Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sign me up for Cat-o-matic, five pound size, SVP.

I attended a lecture about the environment, presenting four options:
1) Ignore the problem, head in the sand
2) Wait for the miracle energy solution
3) Avoid the issue, just too big to address
4) Start taking small steps immediately.
Naturally, while the rest of the audience listened respectfully, I spent my time realizing that this message was conveyed daily on . . . 3FC about weight loss, LOL. Hope the speaker didn't see the eat sh*t grin on my face.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #17  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

You know those cool/cold spring evenings after a glorious day? That's what it's like here and I've lit the fire. It took a moment to work out that I needed warmth not food. And I'm drinking blackberry tea.

As I'm getting ready for my Thursday, I want to wish you good luck for tomorrow, saef. Egham? I've never been able to take the place seriously.

And good luck to everyone else. May our different Thursdays run smoothly. (I have an ice pack on my knee as I write.)
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Ah spring . . . when a young male dog's thoughts turn to . . . fighting, humping, and generally being idiots. I had to leash up all of my retrievers today and hustle them out of the off-leash.

This was while I was being humped and jumped upon by a 90-lb. unneutered lab who Seamus and Luther (my guys) were trying to kill. Quincy, the only unneutered one in my bunch was meanwhile innocently off in the bushes, eating a wood chip. SIGH.

I need to convince "fat Stella" to kick their combined fluffy furry *sses. They are all afraid of her in the car - probably think she'll sit on 'em and squish 'em!

Miss Chloe is adjusting well to being muzzled. She totally gets what/why I'm doing this and is co-operating fully (hoping to get the darn thing off so she can kill someone). She kept diving between my legs whenever any dog approached her and then writhing around on the ground in front of them. Very scary!

Dagmar (dog wrestler supreme)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #19  

Default energy drinks

I was given some of those "Rockstar" energy drinks yesterday. Went online to look up the cal counts (none on label - why???) and was surprised to find some flavours had calorie counts listed and some didn't. I guess I can assume those that didn't have the cal counts are pretty high in sugar and have high cal counts.

I drank a sugar free one yesterday afternoon and BOY!!! Lotsa caffeine in that sucker! Now I have an idea of how Miss Chloe feels all the time.

I think these drinks will be a once-in-awhile indulgence for me - a break from the diet cola. Maybe on those afternoons when I'm baked from a long day of kayaking and not back in port yet. They could be useful then.

Dagmar
Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I can't stand those energy drinks. They're worse than soda IMO. However, there are times when plain old coffee won't do the trick and I've tried the 5 hour energy shots (I think they're like 4 calories). No caffeine, but they sure do keep you awake--usually long past the time I'd prefer they wear out. DH has a friend who uses them before tennis games, says they keep her from wearing out too soon.

The only time our kitty comes to sit on me when I sleep is when I'm trying to nap. I guess he thinks no one should sleep during the day (except him). It's amazing how heavy 10 pounds can be.

I slept like crap last night and I wonder how my day will fare due to that. I'm consuming my coffee but I bet after lunch I'll crash. I may have to head home early and take a nap, however today is housekeeping day and I just know that any time I show up, they'll be here and that will mean no nap for me. ((sigh))

Saturday, DH and I fly up to SLC for my Mom's memorial service. We'll fly back that evening. Sunday we have tickets to Young Frankenstein (the musical). It's gotten great reviews and I can't wait to see it. DD won't be able to come home for it so we've asked my office employee to come instead. I think she'll enjoy it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I drink only 1/2 of the 5 Hour Energy drink bottle at a time, if I'm needing them. You can keep the unused part for up to 3 days without danger of spoilage. Half does what it's supposed to but doesn't hang on "forever."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #22  
Workin' It

DH drinks those energy drinks sometimes, they don't do well with me. He never seems jittery afterward, but he is a several cups of coffee per day guy.

I have to lock my cat out of my bedroom at night now or she keeps me awake all night - we had DSS last night so had to sleep with the door open and the cat woke me up every half hour I think. I finally threw a pillow across the room at her about 4:00 am, which gave me a nice uninterruped hour of sleep before DSS got up at 5:05. Argh.

Allison - I've seen great reviews of Young Frankenstein. I know that the weekend is going to be tough, I hope the show ends it on a more positive note.

Dagmar - I love the visuals I get from reading your posts about wrestling with the dogs.

Saef - how is the knee?

Bill - The options presented in your lecture do sound familiar. I guess that the techniques we use to manage weight loss and maintenance are transferable to other areas of life as well.

I'm tired today. I don't know if it is the pollen, the fact that I've been in conflict with my brother for the last few days and just got it resolved yesterday, the fact that I made my mom cry last night, the stress of opening a new restaurant and the chaos around it, health care renewal coming up, or a combination of all three.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #23  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Sign me up for Cat-o-matic, five pound size, SVP.

I attended a lecture about the environment, presenting four options:
1) Ignore the problem, head in the sand
2) Wait for the miracle energy solution
3) Avoid the issue, just too big to address
4) Start taking small steps immediately.
Naturally, while the rest of the audience listened respectfully, I spent my time realizing that this message was conveyed daily on . . . 3FC about weight loss, LOL. Hope the speaker didn't see the eat sh*t grin on my face.
How well that applies to many many aspects of my life.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #24  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Birchie, thanks for the good wishes on the interview. It's done, thank goodness. I feel that I did as well as I could. Interviewing is an interminable process here, though. Now we'll see how many other people have to meet with me, if my manager liked my answers & my performance in it. Probably at least my manager's manager, and maybe also my manager's former manager.

I feel lighter than I did this morning, with this off my shoulders, but I'm still vibrating in the aftermath & I need to calm down slowly. Going to the gym after work will help.

Last edited by saef; 04-07-2011 at 03:55 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #25  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Well done, saef. That surplus adrenaline feeling is quite horrible. Good idea to get rid of it in the gymn. Keep us posted as you progress through the stages, won't you?

Shannon - I'm the one with the knee. Twinges are now in the VMO so I'll move on to strengthening that. Other parts were played by the lower back and the forefoot. This drama has been touring for about five years. I think it's getting better with help from various professionals but key to keeping it at bay is regular, specific exercise and introducing new things very carefully. And every so often I slip up and pay the price.

Bill - good lecture!

Night all.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #26  
Workin' It

Birchie - I totally knew it was you with the knee, I just am having a "can't say the right thing to the right person" thing today.

Saef - glad that the initial part of the interview is over.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I drink only 1/2 of the 5 Hour Energy drink bottle at a time, if I'm needing them. You can keep the unused part for up to 3 days without danger of spoilage. Half does what it's supposed to but doesn't hang on "forever."

Jay
Wow. And usually DH and I each have one and both suffer the effects. It never occurred to me to split one! Can you tell I'm blonde?

saef~glad the interview went well and you're de-stressing.

So does anyone listen to Adele? I recently got her new album and had to turn around and get her first one. What a powerful voice! Beautiful.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #28  

Today I had to wrestle Miss Chloe inside the car. Even with the muzzle on she tried to jump at me and almost caused me to crash the car. She is now tethered to BOTH headrests with leashes. I think I'm about to throw in the towel with this dog. I feel sorry for her but she's getting dangerous.

I love, love, love her little companion Jasmine but I believe they come as a package. Lose Chloe, lose Jasmine. Sometimes I want to just keep Jasmine in my car and take her home with me. She always comes to the door when I leave and sits right in front of it, looking very wistful.

I will give it til the end of April. Or if another set of dogs comes along I will reluctantly give notice. I hate giving up on dogs but I can't train and group walk at the same time. And most clients do not want to pay for training.

I'm starting to eat in the late afternoons to combat the adrenalin and anxiety Chloe provokes in me. Not good!

Dagmar
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Wow! What is the issue with Chloe? Is she aggressive?

Saef-- glad your interview went well!

I've never tried the true energy drinks but I've been drinking zipfizz energy drinks some days and I really like them. They are supposedly more "natural" and have a ton of electrolytes. I've been drinking one when I do Bikram Yoga as I feel it helps to replace the electrolytes I lose through sweating.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #30  

Default I'm whining - too much work!

I am working on the weekend and every weekend except Easter this month (tax weekend for me) and every weekend in May. Somehow TGIF just doesn't have to same appeal right now.

I was going to take a "weekend off" and go to a hotel and just not answer the phone etc. in March. DH talked me out of it but I'm determined now to do this in July.

This is one of the downsides of being self-employed - the work seems to never stop. DH keeps promising that he'll hire more help when he's making money. A housekeeper - really? And a cook? And a gardener? And PA? And someone to deal with all my dad's craziness?

I don't think DH has any idea what all I have to do besides "official work".

Whining done. Hope the weather's good this weekend - dog walking is much nicer in the sun.

Great Friday all!

Dagmar