Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #61  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Still having a bit of a meltdown here worrying about Carter. There were a lot of encouraging signs this morning (he tried to get up on his own, didn't make it, but managed to move himself around decently, he took his nylabone and chewed it for a minute or so, he hasn't been licking quite so much), but then this afternoon he has basically be completely passed out for a while. I know even when he was healthy if he was really tired he would just sleep and it would take quite a bit of us harassing him for him to bother reacting. He was roused by food and by water, so I'm hoping that means he is just really tired. Maybe we had him up too much this morning. On the other hand I wish he was sleeping like this during the night instead of the afternoon -- I'm worried that he will be up all night because he's sleeping so much right now.

We took him in to the emergency vet last night so they could show us how to properly express his bladder. I think we've been having success with that and he's been more comfortable today (almost no whining all day), but it's really hard to do because he yelps and howls and thrashes around when we do it. Supposedly it doesn't hurt him but he makes a huge fuss and the thrashing makes it really hard to accomplish. I just wish I knew how long to expect that we will have to do that before he can pee on his own again. Or if he can already pee on his own but he just doesn't want to pee on the front porch or while wearing the sling so he is trying to hold it in? We can't take him out to the backyard because it is covered by 3 inches of ice with 7 inches of snow on top.

Sorry for the ramble. I tried looking online for emotional support hotlines for pet problems but only found pet loss hotlines, which just made me more upset. DH is also really wigged out. He is imagining the worst case scenarios and afraid because we love Carter but we can't sustain this level of care for him long term if he doesn't get better. It takes both of us just to get him to pee, which means neither of us can go in to work.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #62  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I am so sorry for what you are going through Jessica. Having had "moments" with mine I can understand. My prayers are with you and your husband...and of course Carter.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Jessica you poor thing, that sounds very stressful indeed.
Hang in there.
Wishing Carter a speedy recovery.

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #64  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jessica, you gotta chill a bit. You are letting everything Carter does or doesn't do freak you out. If he's sleeping, that's a good thing! As long as he rouses, he's most likely OK and just trying to rest. When he takes a nap, you take a nap! That would be best all the way around...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Jessica, you gotta chill a bit. You are letting everything Carter does or doesn't do freak you out. If he's sleeping, that's a good thing! As long as he rouses, he's most likely OK and just trying to rest. When he takes a nap, you take a nap! That would be best all the way around...

Jay
Yeah Jessica . Try to think of Carter like a newborn. He's just come home from the hospital and hasn't settled into a schedule yet.

You and your DH are totally freaked, stressed, and tired, much like new parents would be. But all of that is making Carter freaked, stressed, etc. Dogs pick up on the emotions around them. If you can stay calm then Carter will be calm.

He's probably not trusting you guys to express his bladder because you are handling him in a tentative way. Since you went back to the vet and got a better handle on the technique you can be much more confident with him.

Have you tried getting him out to the porch and then taking the sling off to let him pee? Also if you put a couple of the soiled pee pads out on the porch he'll get the idea that it's ok to go "potty" there.

My question would be for the vet - why on earth did they release Carter so early to you? They must have had a pretty darn good idea of how much care he would need for the first few days (if not a week) and IMHO they should have kept him in their care until he stabilized.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #66  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Thanks for the support guys.

Jay, yes, we have been trying to think of him like a newborn or a sick infant (which is reinforcing my idea that I am not ready to have kids yet!).

Dagmar, thanks for the tip about the potty pads, we will try putting them on the porch. This morning he did actually manage to go a little bit on his own. We tried to express him and only got a little out, but when we brought him back inside he started to drip a little, so we put some pee pads under him and lowered his sling and he was able to get a little bit more out. He's still been licking himself constantly but now I am encouraged that he is actually regaining some control.

As for why they released him to us so early, he is a very anxious dog by nature and he was freaking out so much in their care that they thought he would be much more relaxed at home. They were not able to get him to eat or drink anything there and had to syringe feed him and give him IV fluids. I do think they didn't really give us a good enough idea of what we were in for. In retrospect we probably should have left him in their care over the weekend, but what's done is done.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Hope Carter is getting better, Jessica. To give a human comparison. on Thursday I had oral surgery including bone grafts. The most energetic thing I can do is walk to the couch and lay down again for another nap.
And back to dogs I am sure my dog would probably die of thirst before he would drink water out of anything but his bowl.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Hope Carter is getting better, Jessica. To give a human comparison. on Thursday I had oral surgery including bone grafts. The most energetic thing I can do is walk to the couch and lay down again for another nap.
And back to dogs I am sure my dog would probably die of thirst before he would drink water out of anything but his bowl.
Hope you have a speedy recovery too bargoo!
Dagmar
Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #69  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Hear, hear! Beaming good vibes to you in California!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Heal quickly Bargoo. My FIL had similar surgery last year. He felt quite a bit better on the 2nd day after surgery.

Glad to hear Carter is on the mend, Jessica. The fact that he's trying to get up on his own is a very good sign.

We went to a birthday party yesterday. What a party! It was almost like a wedding reception. The guest of honor turned 90! The sit-down meal had the choice of fish & chips, chicken marsala, pot roast salmon or one other that I can't remember. I had the salmon and oh, was it good! Served with steamed veggies and a little bit of potatoes. It was an early meal (2 pm) and I hadn't had much breakfast so it was really good! No dessert (unless they served cake, but we had to leave a bit early).

Last night I attended a 45th anniversary celebration for a group that I used to be in. I was one of the "honored guests" and they were so nice to let me speak on microphone. It was horrible, I had nothing to say! Anyway, I had a great time and didn't once stop at any of the food tables (although I did have wine).

Today we're off to see Spamalot!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #71  

Just back from seeing "The Social Network".

Wow! Really enthralling, after a slow first half hour setting up the characters and relationships.

I wasn't sure I would like it, due to the youth-oriented subject matter but it had all sorts of universal themes.

And yes, I did have popcorn. It's just not an evening out without the popcorn and the diet cola. Seems like the billionaire geeks have no interest or appreciation of food whatsoever.

Dh is at band camp tonite so I've got an evening free to read!

Dagmar
Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #72  
Chuggin' along...

Another superbowl party made through. I was supposed to go to the city to a friends, but the group going backed out at the last minute. I missed the friends' company, but couldn't care a whiff about the football itself, and I went ahead and just ordered online the few things I wanted to stop by the store to get. I live so far that the gas alone really is worth the shipping costs. Got slightly caught up on keeping the house in order etc. this weekend, got plenty of exercise, feel marginally better about how organized my life is now.

Bargoo, ooh, I hope your recover quickly.

Jessica, how is Carter doing (if you have time to post of course)? I'm glad to hear he is doing better bit by bit. I've been thinking of him all weekend.

Is it Monday again tomorrow already???
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote