Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Does your internal thermometer EVER regulate?

I know we all know about being cold/freezing all.the.time. but does it ever regulate? Or am I doomed to having to have a sweater on me at all times until menopause? It's 76 in our office right now, I'm wear jeans, a sweater over my shirt and Uggs and it might as well be below freezing in here right now. I'm going to make myself a cup of tea, but I'm two seconds away from buying a space heater for my desk. It's mostly frustrating in the summer. I live in a very hot area so I'd love to dress lightly in the summer, but with the a/c it's so freaking cold in here that I'm forced to wear pants and sweaters and melt every time I step outside.

Anyway, does it get better with time?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #2  
Meg

It's been nine years for me and I hate to say it, but I'm just as cold as I was when I first reached goal. My understanding is that our sensitivity to cold is caused by biochemical changes and slowed metabolism due to a large weight loss. Be glad you're in CA!

PS: menopause didn't help.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

6 years out, no.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

3 and some odd years out, no.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm the odd duck. Mine has regulated. This Summer I was cold frequently and took sweaters to grocery stores, but that's the way I was back when I thin as in never-been-fat. It's hard to say in Winter, but I think I'm just as cold as everyone else, no different.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #6  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I've only been maintaining for 28 months, but I'm still cold year round.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #7  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Still cold here too. I love the summer heat! But at work I still wear a jacket or light sweater in the summer because the AC is too chilly. I love getting in my hot car after work.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #8  

My coworkers come into my office to 'get warm' all the time because I have the heat CRANKED in there all the time. It must be 90 in my office. :P And I've been at goal for almost seven years!
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #9  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I asked a different version of this question here a few weeks ago and got the same response. I'm not even at goal yet, so I can't comment on longterm, but I sure am cold all the time. It stinks to know that your options are either being overweight or shivering in a 70-degree room. If America "gets lean" (hah!), we are NOT going to be helping the global warming problem!
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm four or fives year out and my experience is the same. I'm still cold all the time. I'm especially cold immediately after eating. Or I'm sweating. I'm rarely just comfortable--I go from cold to sweating (sometimes in odd and embarrassing places) very quickly. Occasionally I'm both cold and sweating at the same time.

I'm also always hot when I exercise. No matter how cold it is out. It can be 40-50 degrees when I start my run and about a mile in, I'm stripping off clothes because I'm so hot. I see other people running that are all bundled up and I can't imagine how they can stand it.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

Oi! This thread makes me a bit sad. I have never ever been a cold person. I am now consistently cold. I hate it! My fingers especially which is a pain in the but when you need them for computer work. Since I used to tease my sister about always being cold she's getting a kick out of this! Oh well. At least my best friend has outfitted me with several awesome blankets throughout the years so I have lots of good options when wrapping up.

Last edited by manders01; 02-13-2011 at 01:48 AM.
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #12  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i'm apparently the odd duck out, kinda. even at my heaviest i was often cold. i'm usually the coldest in the room, or when everyone is hot, i'm not. except in the summer outside obviously. certain body parts, my hands, feet, backside. even as a kid. i think i just don't have great blood flow or something.

thankfully, over time with the changing seasons, i make my body used to hotter or colder in this case, since it's winter. used to my house temp around low 70's.

it seems, the more time i spend outdoors that makes a difference too.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #13  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

well anyway, so i never expected to not be cold. i was always cold.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Temperature self regulation hasn't set in for me yet.

At three plus years of maintaining, I can't seem to find gloves that keep my hands warm. This wasn't a problem before.

Also, I wear my down vest around the house more than I used to - despite the thermostat being the same.

I had assumed that this was because I was three years older; you guys have convinced me that the loss of the layer of insulation might play a role.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I'm the odd one out - I've been overweight or obese my whole life, and I don't notice that I'm any colder now at a normal weight than I was before.

Now, to be fair, I've never loved cold and am from the South, so it's not like I've had to deal with lots of harsh winters (with the exception of 4 winters in NW China, where you better believe we bundled up!). And, like most Southerners, I always have a sweater with me in the summer to deal with the Arctic air conditioning most places seem to think they need.

So maybe I always ran a little cold and just haven't started running colder? Or maybe I'm slightly freakish? Either way, I'm grateful!

(Of course, now that I've put this on 3FC, I'm going to wake up tomorrow with blue lips and need to turn the thermostat to 75. Sigh.)
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote