3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Weekly Chat January 24 - 30, 2011 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/223437-maintainers-weekly-chat-january-24-30-2011-a.html)

BillBlueEyes 01-24-2011 04:50 AM

Maintainers Weekly Chat January 24 - 30, 2011

Good grief; Monday again already. These seem to appear pretty often lately. And January only has one week remaining. Seems that my head finds it easy to lose track of time.

I'm happy that my de-cluttering efforts for the weekend are over. Heading in to work feels like a welcome refuge from that.

Mudpie 01-24-2011 05:54 AM

Good Morning all!

It's time for me to take charge of my eating. I swore, when I got under 140 lbs., that I'd never go over again.

This morning I weigh 140.6 lbs.

It's not water weight, bloat, etc. It's overindulgence after the holidays, non-stop snacking on high-cal stuff in the evenings, and 3 days of binge eating.

I am depressed, lonely, and afraid. That's why I'm eating - to cope.

I don't need to be pudgy on top of all of that.

All the snacks go into the garbage can right after I finish typing here. I will rein this in and get back below red line - 135 lbs. - by the end of February.

I want my 54th birthday to be a celebration of my healthy body!

Great Monday all!

Dagmar

bargoo 01-24-2011 08:12 AM

Dagmar , you can do it !!!

saef 01-24-2011 09:26 AM

Good luck to Bill and Dagmar both with their different kinds of decluttering efforts, both physical & mental.

Bill, you're not the only one. Over the weekend, I was throwing out papers and trying to organize a folder full of raggedy-edged, different-sized recipes that I have torn out of magazines & newspapers or printed off the Internet. While I'm cooking, I prefer to consult a piece of paper, rather than a screen, so it's not a tragedy if oil soaks through the back of it or it gets splotches of sauce on it. I wish I could go paperless in this regard, which would really help with clutter in my life.

Bitterly cold here, which makes me want to contract back into my shell, figuratively, but I have a very active day today, including a meeting, a presentation to attend, and a doctor's appointment.

And I'm trying to calm down & get over my fit of pique about my "ruined" Tuesday night. I really enjoy my Tuesday spin class at 7:30 PM. It's not just about the cardio, it's about the music, the camaraderie, and my feeding off the energy of an enthusiastic instructor who's become a friend. But damn it, this Tuesday night my awful job requires me to "attend" a meeting (via telephone & shared PowerPoint screens) with analysts based in the Asia-Pacific region, running from 7- 8 PM. So, no spin class. Instead, I'll be note-taking toward writing up something. I am not the world's most flexible person, psychologically, so I've felt quite aggrieved at this disruption of my routine.

Megan1982 01-24-2011 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had an exciting weekend - I got a dog! The very day I was going to go to the humane society to look at some of their animals I'd scoped out online, I found out a friend of a friend (who I had actually sung a duet with in my chorus, bc it's that kind of small town) was moving and couldn't take his 9-month old lab mix. She's definitely got some pit in her, which is typical around here. She's sweet as can be, loves riding around and swimming, which is great for our lifestyle, and "housebroken in [former owner's] house" and crate trained which is at least a start. She did pee in the house last night, despite going out several times, but she's going through a big adjustment so I couldn't be too upset with her, just corrected and moved on. She's already had two owners and two names, Emma and Sandy, so we're going to try to see which name she responds better to and go with that one. She's had enough change, doesn't need more. And the former owner has all her flea, tick meds up to date, she's fixed, shots, etc.

BF also got home from his DR trip, and brought me beautiful tourmaline and silver jewelry. It's really nice to have him home. He's bonding w Sandy/Emma already. I know I'll have to make some adjustments in my schedule and gym-going directly after work, but today she's riding around with him since he's working near home so I can go lift and then come home and walk/jog with her.

Bill, I have no idea where my Sunday went. My weekend chore list kind of went out the window with the whole dog thing! It can't be Monday already.

Dagmar, you can do it! When you want to eat and you're not really hungry, take a breath and try some self-talk before you dive in. I actually wrote down some questions to ask myself, and other things I can go do, and it's been helping for the last few weeks.

ETA: Saef, we posted at the same time. Sorry your routine is disrupted, I'm also a creature of habit and know it can be frustrating. Is there another spin class with the instructor you could take another day? I organize my recipes by category in a 3-ring binder, and tape recipes that aren't a full 8.5 x 11 size onto a piece of paper so it will fit into the binder. Every two years or so, I go through and get rid of the recipes I didn't like, or will never use.

Have a great week everyone!

Shannon in ATL 01-24-2011 09:52 AM

Good morning! I had a pretty good last week - ate pretty well, exercised, lowered my cable bill by $60 per month and it looks like between federal taxes owed and state tax refund that I won't owe more than a $200 in taxes. Whew.

Bill - I need to do some more decluttering myself, I just haven't had the heart yet.

Dagmar - you can do it! Be strong! :)

Saef - I don't like interruptions to my routine either, the Tuesday night change would aggravate me as well.

Megan - pretty dog! And glad that BF is home safely!

:wave: Good day everyone!

traveling michele 01-24-2011 01:01 PM

Good Monday everyone!

Wow Shannon! Sounds like a successful financially rewarding weekend. I never have those. Just spend!:devil:

Megan-- Sandy/Emma is gorgeous! I'm so excited for you and BF. I like the name Emma better but you'll have to see what she responds to. Yes, be patient with her. She has had so many changes in her short life. She has definitely found a great home now.

Saef-- don't you hate it when "real" life gets in the way of our real commitments?!

Hi Bargoo and Bill!

Okay Dagmar.... here is my one piece of sage advice (not that you don't already know it). You don't have control of many aspects of your life (I don't mean YOU, I mean anyone) so work on what you do have control of. In your case, that means FOOD, exercise, etc. So, yes, get the junk out of the house for sure and you'll be back to your goal in no time. When I first started losing my weight, I was going through a difficult personal time, and I decided to focus on what I had control of-- hence I got my eating and exercising under control. You know you can do it.

I have my second Monday in a row off. While it is nice to have a 4 day work week, it is a budget cut day so no pay. I've already had a mammogram this morning and am getting ready to take the dogs to the vet. Trying to get much accomplished today!

Do any of you use a heart rate monitor? Like it? I've never had one but was thinking about asking for one for my birthday. Anything I should look for?

I bought a pedometer yesterday (couldn't find my old one) and logged exactly 17,000 steps yesterday. Doubt I'll keep that up but I was impressed!

Dh is gone again. This week to Nashville. He was home for 24 hours. Sigh.... oh well-- I should be able to get in plenty of exercise sans guilt for being gone.

alinnell 01-24-2011 01:02 PM

Congrats on the dog, Megan! My best friend has a lab/pitt mix and although he's a bit more rambunctious than most labs, he's a very sweet boy. Good luck with Emma/Sandy.

saef~your recipe "file" sounds a lot like mine! Although I'd probably have to say my pile is bigger. I have a 6" stack of papers in one drawer (printouts from various websites as well as a few torn from the newspaper), plus a 4" binder full of more with it's pockets stuffed to overflowing. What's really sad is that if I can't find what I want, I go online and look for another and print it, too. And I hate having either my routine or my plans disrupted, too.

We had a good/bad weekend. Friday I got home to DS complaining of fever and muscle aches. He'd been sneezing and was stuffed up and I assumed he was getting the flu. He didn't tell me about it in the morning because he didn't want to miss school (NOT your typical child--my DD is the same way). Saturday he was worse and his face was swollen so I called the oral surgeon who called in a prescription for antibiotics. DS managed to take his kitty to the vet despite his not feeling well because DH and I went golfing (YAY!). Sunday DS's fever broke but he still didn't feel well. DH and his parents and I went to see Chris Botti in concert (very, very good!) and watched football on TV. I made an amazing asiago chicken for dinner with a veggie/pasta side. This morning I took DS to the oral surgeon who numbed him, cut him, rinsed him and packed him. We have to go back Wednesday to have the packing removed. He thinks some food got in during the healing of his wisdom teeth removal and the wound healed around the food and caused the infection. I really didn't want him to go to school, but he insisted.

And sad news of the passing of Jack LaLanne.

alinnell 01-24-2011 01:06 PM

michele~we posted at the same time. I use a heart monitor when exercising as both our machines synch with one. We have the kind you wear around your bust. DH's also has a wrist watch that he can wear when he walks and he likes that. DD recently bought one that doesn't have the bust part--just the watch, but you have to hold a couple buttons for a few seconds to get a reading--I'd rather have the kind where you can quickly glance and get the reading and go on.

Shannon in ATL 01-24-2011 01:18 PM

Michele - I have a Polar FT60 with optional footpod attachment to track my miles. I love it, have had it a little over two years now, got it for Christmas in 2008. It is an older model, so I don't know what the current version is called. Hope you have a productive day today! :)

Allison - hope DS feels better soon.

paperclippy 01-24-2011 01:37 PM

Hi guys!

Megan, congrats on the dog!

Saef, I too have a folder of recipes. Actually I have two folders, both stuffed to the gills. One is my spring/summer folder and the other is my fall/winter folder. I tear up every issue of Cooking Light I get and file away the recipes that look good.

I haven't gotten much work done yet today so it's just a fly-by for me. Hi everyone! :wave:

kaw 01-24-2011 04:51 PM

Speaking of routines, dontcha just hate it when an inconsiderate person throws you off yours? I was supposed to go to the optometrist this afternoon, then the gym, and then pick up The Boy from after school. Alas, someone parked their car smack dab in front of our driveway. There is a rock wall on one side and a snowbank on the other, so I can't get our car out. I called the police, who came out and wrote a ticket and called the tow truck, but so far the truck hasn't showed and I'm still trapped. Our neighbor will pick up The Boy for us, which is obviously more important than the gym or optometrist. But, it's still making me cranky!

I've pretty much given up on printed recipes, except for a few family recipes from my mother. On the rare occasion that I cook from a recipe, I take the laptop into the kitchen and put it somewhere out of harm's way. I still have a cupboard full of recipe books and clippings, though: I need to get Bill over here to declutter!

//b. strong,
Kim

Mudpie 01-24-2011 07:03 PM

Nice looking dog Megan. Probably mostly pit but that's ok in females. They are generally quite sweet.

And you can change her name but do it soon. If she is part lab then food can be very useful. Hold up a bit of food and say "(dog's name)". When she comes to you or makes eye contact give her the food. She will associate the sound and the reward very quickly.

If you are an experienced dog owner my apologies for explaining something you probably already know.

Dagmar :tired:

BillBlueEyes 01-25-2011 04:37 AM

It was so cold at work yesterday that someone called maintenance. The guy shows up in my office where the thermostat happens to be (but can only be adjusted with a secret device that only maintenance owns). He's got a small pistol-shaped laser device that reads the temperature of the walls, the warm air vent, and the air. Super neat! I'm a techie - I want me one, I do. After fiddling around, checking back downstairs to determine that the fan is indeed blowing, his conclusion is ... ready for this ... it's cold outside, LOL.

So I worked all day in my down coat - not a problem, I wouldn't have called, but the woman several offices down was shivering so hard she could hardly type. Apparently we burn a few extra calories to keep warm, so I smugly thought about all the weight I was losing.

Mudpie 01-25-2011 05:33 AM

Bill ;) Do you work for the government? :lol3:

So I printed out my affirmation/ challenge to myself, to lose the winter chub by my birthday, and put it on the fridge yesterday morning.

And yesterday afternoon it was gone.

DH had taken it down, saying
"I don't need to see that neurotic b*llsh&t every time I open the fridge".

SIGH. I put up a copy in my office and stayed in my office all evening. Quieter in here anyway.

Good Tuesday all!

Dagmar :coolsnow: