Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #1  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

Default When did you start muscle gain?

I was stuck at 125lbs for two weeks. Increased cardio sessions and calorie burns didn't work. I was advised by members on other websites to:
1. Take a break by eating more food, and then go back to creating a SMALL deficit.
2. Start my muscle gain journey now and then return to weight loss.

This week I decided to start my muscle gain journey. I expected the scale to rise because I went from eating 1200-1500 to 1700-1900, but today it's 124.6lbs. Has my plateau broken? Should I abandon the muscle gain and go back to weight loss?

I was looking forward to getting muscle definition because right now I'm a UK size 8-10 (US 6-8) but flabby and fat. I guess I'm skinny fat. My thighs are HUGE, my arms are saggy, but my stomach isn't too bad. Did you lot focus on losing the fat BEFORE gaining muscle? It is almost impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you carefully align your intake and burn, so I'd rather do one or the other. Muscle gain means some fat gain too, so I'd be going backwards in a sense.

I don't know what to do! I hope this wasn't confusing. I know it's my decision, but I need some input, please. I've added pics so you can see what I look like now. THANK YOU. An estimate on a bodybuilder forum said I'm around 30% body fat, the YMCA's online calculator said 33%, and another calculator said 25%.

Current weight 124.6lbs, Goal 110-115lbs
Current body fat approx 30% Goal 17-20%

P1151323.jpg

P1151325.jpg

P1151326.jpg

P1151330.jpg
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

I am fortunate to have a personal trainer. My plan is as follow: to maintain my weight my calorie intake is at 1800 if I want to loose 1 pound a week I need to reduce by 500 calories. I consume 1200 a day.

My exercise program is as follow, 5 minutes high intensity treadmill to warm up, then 30 minutes of weights to work all major muscle group, then 45 minutes of treadmill high intensity 85% cardiac rate.

I have been doing that since the beginning, increasing the cardio and weights. My energy and strenght have increased tremendously and do not look flabby.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #3  
Meg

It's hard to say whether your .4 pound loss is a water weight fluctuation or fat loss -- only time will tell! I wouldn't make any changes in your program based on that small of a scale change in a few days. It's important to pick a program and stick with it for at least a few weeks in order to evaluate the results.

That being said, I know it's conventional wisdom that one can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but it's possible. I did it during the year that I was losing weight, so I don't think it's an either/or proposition.

For me, nutrition, weight training, and cardio were all equally important for my overall fat loss. I did weight training from Day One. My calories were low (1200 ish, all squeaky clean), I did 60 minutes of cardio a day, and lifted heavy five days a week. And in a year, I gained six pounds of muscle while losing 128 pounds of fat, for a net loss of 122 pounds.

I don't think that muscle gain has to mean fat gain. Of course, if you are in a calorie surplus, your body will have to store the excess calories as fat. But there's no need to overeat in order to build muscle, IMO. Focus on clean eating, lots of protein, keep your calories at a weight loss level, lift heavy, do cardio and I bet you'll be happy with your results.

Keep us posted!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My personal belief is to do weight training from the very beginning. I did when I weighed 360 lbs and I do now. Right now, while my scale weight stays the same, my shape is definitely changing. One girl at my gym said she lost 5 lbs in 6 months but lost 3 clothing sizes and her shape has definitely changed.

So I'd say don't worry too much about the number on the scale, keep weight training.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/165/129

Height: 5'3"

I most definitely think you continue weight training while losing "fat" and building "muscle". So while the scale may not be showing a loss, you are still losing. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Plus, you are toning and building muscles underneath the fat - so when you do lose the fat you will look more defined!
Kimberly2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick reply.

I'd start lifting now. It will improve your body shape and posture so you'll look as though you've lost at least 1/2 stone (7lbs) even if you haven't.

It's also fun. Have you got somewhere to do it in mind?

ETA - I turned my back for a moment and four (4) people nipped in ahead of me! You have to be quick on your feet here!

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-20-2011 at 09:22 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

First, I wouldn't call any part of your body "huge". I think you look great! But to tone your already wonderful self, yes, add weight training and now. There's no reason you can't focus on diet and lifting at the same time. I'd keep cardio in there too. I have placed equal emphasis on all three throughout the majority of my weight loss. I went three months without exercising but have been doing it now for about a year. I couldn't be happier with the results.

It's also possible you will not drop any more weight but your shape will change. This is such an amazing thing. Your weight can be higher while still looking really good. I am still technically overweight by about 5 pounds () but I am wearing a size 6.

Last edited by Eliana; 01-20-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #8  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I just posted something on "skinny fat" in the thread prior to this one on the main "new thread" list. I don't feel like typing it again, but you might take a look.

BTW, I'd estimate you're in the mid 20s in body fat, perhaps even low 20s. It's hard to tell in photos, but I think I see the outline of the abdominal wall showing (the vertical "cuts"), which usually means low 20s. It's pretty common for women to get lean up top well before they get lean legs ... if they ever do. Thank evolution for that one.

//b. strong
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #9  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I would totally encourage the strength training, along with the others here. It makes a world of difference. You're at a point right now where tuning body composition is the main focus, not simply removing excess fat, and strength training will go a long way to help with that effort.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #10  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

Sorry for the confusion. I've been strength training since I started losing in 2006, but I stalled by using the same weights (5kg/10lb dumbbells)for 3yrs - I was too cheap to buy new ones and too lazy to cart them back and forth from home to university. I got used to not pushing myself with strength training, so I'm ready to start pushing myself more. I tried double the weights earlier this week and was only too weak on my biceps and triceps, but everything else was doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
I just posted something on "skinny fat" in the thread prior to this one on the main "new thread" list. I don't feel like typing it again, but you might take a look.

BTW, I'd estimate you're in the mid 20s in body fat, perhaps even low 20s. It's hard to tell in photos, but I think I see the outline of the abdominal wall showing (the vertical "cuts"), which usually means low 20s. It's pretty common for women to get lean up top well before they get lean legs ... if they ever do. Thank evolution for that one.

//b. strong
I hope you're right about the body fat.

The BodyBuilder website said we store fat in our legs for our babies. Why couldn't genetics store the baby fat in our boobs? The twins left me years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
It's hard to say whether your .4 pound loss is a water weight fluctuation or fat loss -- only time will tell! I wouldn't make any changes in your program based on that small of a scale change in a few days. It's important to pick a program and stick with it for at least a few weeks in order to evaluate the results.

That being said, I know it's conventional wisdom that one can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but it's possible. I did it during the year that I was losing weight, so I don't think it's an either/or proposition.
You have no idea how impatient I am. Experimenting and impatience is one of the main reasons my weight loss journey has lasted for almost five years.

When I did do a lot of strength training in the past, I remember feeling my thigh muscles whenever I exercised on the ground - I was losing weight then, so I guess it's possible. Then I got hooked on cardio and burning lots of calories, so strength training took a back seat.

THANKS EVERYONE! I'm going to stick with my higher calories and strength training until Monday, then reduce the calories and add cardio without going OTT.
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote