Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

So funny how so many of us have Steven Tyler stories, and even more interesting are the "close encounters." The only close encounter I had was in Borders when I stood next to a sunglass bearing Barry Manilow. DH has much more success in this department as we've done work for Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, Richard Carpenter and Andy Williams. I'm sure there are more, but I don't get to meet them, so I forget.

Kim~children never make sense.

Bonus of having a DS who drives! DH and I are golfing on Saturday and DS is taking his kitty to the vet for his checkup!!! I'll pay of course, but I don't have to be the bad guy for the kitty who hates car rides! Lord only knows what will happen this summer when we take him on an RV trip to Montana!

Dagmar~congrats on being a jock!!!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #62  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I remember getting a very strange version of the "ants on a log" at my childhood friend's house. Her mom made it with Cheez Whiz, celery, and the raisins. Try to get me to eat Cheez Whiz with raisins now - I'd have to be very, very drunk.
Ugh, how gross!!! Of course I've always disliked fake cheese. I don't think there's enough alcohol in the world...

I think it's really funny midwife started a poll on how many people have met Steven Tyler. You guys make me laugh.

Good legs workout today. I've been super busy between work and community theater business this week, but am doing pretty well at still eating well, working out (and good workouts, too!), and getting decent amounts of sleep. Speaking of sleep... night all! Have a great Friday!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I like the "red ants on a log" - we find ourselves adding dried cranberries to many recipes, including roasted veggies. I like them a bunch but suspect that thinking of them as Massachusetts local increases their desirability.

LOL at "never" liked raisins. Reminds me that our college-aged DS complained once, with a perfectly straight face, that we "never" let him do art as a child. DW and I fell on the floor laughing. We have several closets filled with his childhood art and a basement full of various art materials and the easel that he used often. Perhaps male brains have selective memory along with male selective hearing.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

AAARGH!!! I'm eating everything in sight. I'm almost up to 140 lbs.

What the h*ll am I doing this for? I worked so hard to get down to below 135 and now I'm throwing it all away!

I still have 2 1/2 months of winter to get through. I need help!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Dagmar - hang in there
I am heading to TO for work on Sunday - how much snow do you have?
Need to know what kind of boots to bring.

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #66  
Workin' It

Steven Tyler poll... funny...

Dagmar - stop eating! Think about Cheez Wiz and raisins... Hope Mishka does well at the vet.

Allison - hope DS has fun taking the kitty to the vet!

Kim - I think it is funny that you stayed on the treadmill to watch the end of the tv show. And my brother used to make those 'I've never liked them' declarations. DSS has started them, now, too. Those his are usually "I liked xxx when I was 4, but now that I'm 5 I don't."

Bill - how sad that you never let you child do art. Hehe. Funny what kids remember. I always say that my mother never let me ride in the front seat of the car, though there are pictures of me there.

Good day for me yesterday, successfully made a fish that DH said was delicious. Mahi mahi brushed with olive oil, black pepper & southwest seasoning cooked under the broiler on my cast iron grill pan. Yummy.

have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

Bargoo - wow, you put a lot of work into the pet snacks!

Not really I get it PetSmart and other stores such as Target and CVS,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznn View Post
Dagmar - hang in there
I am heading to TO for work on Sunday - how much snow do you have?
Need to know what kind of boots to bring.

S
We have about 8 centimeters/4 inches on the ground but there's supposed to be about 3-5 centimemters more tonite and tomorrow.

I'm wearing ankle length hiking boots and I'm fine so far.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #69  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Mahi mahi brushed with olive oil, black pepper & southwest seasoning cooked under the broiler on my cast iron grill pan. Yummy.
Dinner at Shannon's house! (I'll bring the Cheez whiz with raisins.)

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #70  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

It's so cold here.

I know I'll stay in today, after my morning stint at the gym, getting groceries from two stores and getting my hair cut.

The only question left is what kind of soup I'll make today: Dutch split pea or sweet potato chickpea soup (Jane Brody's "Gypsy Soup").

We're supposed to get another storm this coming Tuesday. More or less. I don't know whether to be amazed at the science of weather prediction, which has become very sophisticated during my lifetime, or to laugh at them. They're kind of like Amtrak. They've got the timetable pretty much down, but the train can be a little late sometimes.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #71  

saef~my vote is for split pea. Yum! I made a huge pot of 13 bean soup with a ham shank a couple of weeks ago and it served us for dinner, 6 lunches and I gave enough to my inlaws that they had it for 3 dinners and a couple lunches! My next soup will be vegetable beef. I may do it tomorrow.

My happy news is that I'm down a total of 8 pounds so far and my goal is well within reach (well, goal #1--it goes on from there). I love seeing that I'm getting close, it really keeps me motivated.

Going golfing this afternoon. We should see highs in the 70's today. For those of you who watch golf, the Bob Hope Classic is being played this weekend and I think some of it will be televised.

Last night DH and I went to see Black Swan. Has anyone seen it? I really liked it, but it was a lot different from what I expected.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #72  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yes, "Black Swan" was one of the movies that I took my mother to see during her slightly too long visit with me over the holidays.

A little operatic and hysterical, but there aren't enough movies about women artists, so I'm pleased about that aspect of it. My personality is just perfectionistic enough & my relationship with my mother is just fraught enough for me to relate somewhat to the character of Nina.

I laughed aloud once during this movie (which isn't very funny). During the sex scene, a guy seated to my right said loudly, with deep satisfaction: "Oh, yeah!" His girlfriend hit his shoulder. I had the impression that he may not have been enjoying himself at this movie until that moment.

Last edited by saef; 01-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Dagmar - thanks for the info, i will drag out my hiking boots

Alison - WTG on the 8lbs!! Are you following a plan? If so - what plan.
So out of the loop here

Sunny day - hope to head up skiing later, if not then a long run.

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

WTG Allison!!

I might go see True Grit tonight with dh. Anyone seen that? I know he has no interest in Black Swan.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #75  

Michele~True Grit was really good. It really followed the original, to the point of exact scenes and lines at times. Other times it was different. It was much darker than the original, and you will laugh at some of it.

Sznn~no plan, just cutting back and trying not to have my nightly cocktail or two. I'd probably lose faster if I cut out alcohol completely, but I doubt that will happen! I also need to re-motivate myself to exercise regularly.

saef~I read an article in the LA Times about Black Swan and the people going to see it: women for the dance, young boys for the scary parts and women's dates for the sex scene. There is something for just about everyone!