3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Weekly Chat January 17 - 23, 2011 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/222681-maintainers-weekly-chat-january-17-23-2011-a.html)

bargoo 01-20-2011 07:51 AM

And for treats chicken wrapped around yams also duck wrapped around yams.My dog is crazy for this, Sometimees I bake a yam or sweet potato in the microwave and as for pumpkin I also use 100% pumpkin, nothing added.

BillBlueEyes 01-20-2011 07:58 AM

"ants on a log" is peanut butter on celery with raisins. We had it instead of potato chips and other stuff that I assumed the rich kids were having. There were some benefits to not being rich, LOL.

saef 01-20-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megan1982 (Post 3663806)
Whatchu sayin' bout goin to the gym??? Ok, this struck a chord with me because I've often considered the fact that other than sleeping and going to work, I probably spend next most amount of time each week working out, mostly at the gym. I've always shrugged, thinking to myself there are worse hobbies. :shrug:

Same here. In fact, my regular gym-going seems to have caused some of my former interests to evaporate. Or maybe it's not just that. If I'm completely honest with myself, maybe it's my gym-going combined with spending more time cooking & also my tendency to spend free time on the Internet.

There are other people who are more casual gym-goers. I'm the one who's made the choice to add the weights and the Pilates and the spin class in addition to or swapped out with hopping on the cardio machine. For me, that's become a "must." I am the one setting this standard for myself. Not my doctor, and not my manager.

But Kaw, yeah, I know what you mean. Only I'm not just on the Elliptical to Nowhere, I'm also simultaneously watching the same. damn. episode. of "Real Housewives" while on that elliptical. Over & over again.

saef 01-20-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargoo (Post 3664361)
also duck wrapped around yams

Duck?! Really?

Your dog is getting dim-sum for treats. Damn.

Can I be your dog?

Shannon in ATL 01-20-2011 10:50 AM

Okay, I'm another person with no hobbies other than exercise. I sometimes worry about that... On top of it I find myself sitting on the stationary bike surfing the net on my iPhone. And I have very few real friends, and talk more to people on the computer than in real life. What does that say about me? I do love the exercise, is it good that I have a positive addiction? ;)

Megan & Bill - I never had ants on a log, but sounds fantastic. I avoided celery as a child, though my grandmother used to put peanut butter on them and try to get me to eat them.

Jessica - I was surprised at how much sodium was in the raw foods that I bought, too.

Allison - how is Buddy today?

Dagmar - good luck with DH, I hope everything works out for him and for you. And I dig Steven Tyler, too. Saw Aerosmith live when I was in high school, the Permanent Vacation tour. The stage was a multiple level setup and he came down from the top level by swinging around a fire pole while singing. Fantastic live entertainer.

Bargoo - wow, you put a lot of work into the pet snacks!

:wave: to all!

traveling michele 01-20-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saef (Post 3664598)

But Kaw, yeah, I know what you mean. Only I'm not just on the Elliptical to Nowhere, I'm also simultaneously watching the same. damn. episode. of "Real Housewives" while on that elliptical. Over & over again.

Saef-- too funny about Real Housewives! I find that I watch TV while on the treadmill or elliptical that I would never watch. Lots of Say Yes to the Dress and the other day I watched a show about people with weird addictions-- the girl had an addiction to diet soda. She didn't see a problem with it but she was drinking 30 a day and was developing all sorts of medical problems and she was in her early 20s.

My weight is hopefully cooperating after being stuck for awhile. I like to keep a weight log so I can keep track. I was 125 this morning and checked back and I haven't been 125 for a month. I like to be 123 so I'm going to keep plugging away and pray it doesn't shoot back up tomorrow. I have a staff party today (delayed holiday party) and I will have to "just say no" to all of the desserts and stuff.

alinnell 01-20-2011 11:31 AM

Morning all!

Shannon~Buddy is better, thanks for asking. He usually gets over these things quickly. But he didn't want his cheese this morning (I put his Tramadol in half a stick of string cheese).

Okay, perhaps I don't have a gym addiction, but I don't have a whole lot of hobbies, either. I do golf when I'm able and I go see a lot of movies, but my life revolves around my family--not around friends. I consider myself a total homebody, although when given an opportunity to go out, I will take it. We have tickets to see all sorts of shows in the theater this year, but again it is with family, not friends. Not to say I don't have friends, but they don't take precedence in my life, I guess.

On the topic of Steven Tyler: when he was at Betty Ford, which is in our valley, once he got out he spent a lot of time in town. I have friends who spotted him in various restaurants and once it showed up at Home Depot, grabbed the in-store PA microphone and sang for everyone in the store!

saef 01-20-2011 11:41 AM

I have seen the guy formerly known as Steven Tallarico a few times in person, not onstage but in the city. He's from around here. Once, I saw him stepping out of a limo, on his way to meet daughter Liv for a movie premiere (the awful stinker, "Stealing Beauty"); once walking down the street, and once lingering with some friends at the doorway of a restaurant. He has a figure like a model's: Tall, leggy & hipless. With the trout lips, too. He reminds me of Mick Jagger, but he's taller than Mr. Jagger. I think he's pretty great. [Goes to add "Rag Doll" to her iPod. Mostly for Steve's jazz scat-singing at the end of the song.]

ETA: This made me call up my friend who got me into the movie premiere, who has corrected me. Steve Tyler is NOT tall. He's just leggy & has a really, really small waist & something about this makes him look tall.

Megan1982 01-20-2011 12:33 PM

Ha, everyone else thinks the Mayhem guy is annoying, I actually think he's kinda hot. Maybe this is bc I always wanted the bad boys (not that I ever had the courage to approach a bad boy). Though my BF sports some unshaven scruff occasionally, he's thankfully not a bad boy. Steven Tyler is super skinny!

Ah, girl talk.

One of the reasons I like going to the gym is that I do like to see "the regulars" and say hi to the nice people, and chat w my sometimes lifting partner. Outside of my workout, and not while lounging across benches other people would like to use, of course. I have a few other hobbies but don't have a lot of close friends, and am sort of shy, so I do like the social interaction of the gym.

Allison, I've never seen a dog turn down cheese!

Bill, my mom always made our lunches, we rarely went out to restaurants, and when I was a kid I thought this was the worst! Though I liked the ants on a log, "bat cookies" (sugar cookies w black dye cut out in bat shapes) at Halloween, hard boiled eggs with little salt packets made out of tin foil squares with a sprinkle of salt inside, occasional bags of leftover fried calamari my Mom made at home I really wished I could just have some fruit snacks and lunchables sometime like the other kids! I didn't know how lucky I was. I do credit my mom, when I made my lifestyle change I didn't have to give up McDonalds or think cooking at home was strange, I was used to that already, and I don't spend a lot on take-out.

Dagmar, Shannon, here are ants on a log. You must try it! Celery is an excellent vessel to get the peanut butter to one's mouth. The raisins are tasty, but optional. Unless you have "problems" with pb like I sometimes do. Then maybe it's better you don't know what you're missing.

Mmm... now I want ants on a log! I'll have to get some celery next time I go to the store. :T

alinnell 01-20-2011 01:13 PM

My mom used to fill celery with jarred pimento cheese and serve it as an appetizer.

Shannon in ATL 01-20-2011 01:55 PM

Ooo, now I want to try those. I have some squeeze packs of peanut butter, I could shop up some celery and bring to work to use with the peanut butter and raisins I already have here. Yummy.

I do have a problem with peanut butter Megan, that is why I keep the packets here at the office to mandate portion control. :)

Mudpie 01-20-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL (Post 3665195)
Ooo, now I want to try those. I have some squeeze packs of peanut butter, I could shop up some celery and bring to work to use with the peanut butter and raisins I already have here. Yummy.

I do have a problem with peanut butter Megan, that is why I keep the packets here at the office to mandate portion control. :)

If there's any PB in the house we eat it. We have no control :crazy:.

I remember getting a very strange version of the "ants on a log" at my childhood friend's house. Her mom made it with Cheez Whiz, celery, and the raisins. Try to get me to eat Cheez Whiz with raisins now - I'd have to be very, very drunk. :p

Speaking of drinking I met Steven Tyler in NYC about 20 years ago and I was totally charmed. We had a bunch of drinks in a bar and chatted for quite a long time. I really don't remember how tall/not tall he was nor did/do I care. He's still got it goin' on!

I am totally starving today. Or something. We're supposed to have a bunch of snow overnight and it might be anxiety about having to work in it tomorrow.

That and "nuclear kitty" Mishka has to go in to the vet tomorrow. I'm pretty sure he'll have to have another round of the radioactive isotope. He's so skinny and depleted that I'm afraid for him. Sigh.

And finally, in this jumble of junk, for those of you who go to the gym all the time:

A couple of years ago, when DH called me a "jock" I was shocked. And then I realized that I am athletic, muscular, fit, etc. and that I'm glad of it! So woohoo to the gym! (or to whatever we all do to stay fit).

Great evening all!

Dagmar :tired: and :hungry: but Cheez Whiz & raisins???

kaw 01-20-2011 07:54 PM

I don't watch Desperate Housewives or Real Housewives or Overworked Housewives or whatever it's called, but I do find myself watching Law and Order at the gym. As I posted in the weights forum, today I actually stayed on the cardio machine for an extra 20 minutes, just so I could see the end of the episode. (My gym put screens on all the machines over break, so having a TV is new and different.) Talk about a waste of time. First, L & O is on 24 hours a day, so I could watch it at home while surfing the web (two time-wasters for the price of one!). Second, it's not like I couldn't guess that there was going to be a courtroom scene in which Sam Waterson's character got all moralistic.

I've never met Steven Tyler. Thought you'd want to know.

The Boy is on a "red ants on a log" snack phase, the red ants being dried cranberries. After eating raisins with much gustatory delight for, whatever, 6 years, he decided last week that he's "never liked them." I don't understand 8-year olds.

//b. strong,
Kim

midwife 01-20-2011 08:08 PM

Kaw, I've never met Steven Tyler either. I was beginning to think I was the only one. :lol:

BillBlueEyes 01-20-2011 08:09 PM

I've met Steven Tyler at Logan airport. Once he posed for a picture with my daughter - very nice to do that.