Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Default "Re Feed" Please define the term

Howdy,
Can someone define the term "refeed" and the goal? Not sure if this is both calorie and/or carb specific.
Thanks,
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You could read this article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

I'm not sure what I think about this for your average person seeking to lose weight. It seems to be based on some sort of non-scientist interpretation of certain scientific studies. So, for now I have no opinion.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
You could read this article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

I'm not sure what I think about this for your average person seeking to lose weight. It seems to be based on some sort of non-scientist interpretation of certain scientific studies. So, for now I have no opinion.

Jay
Yep. It's also a term used in the recovery of people from anorexia.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I see "refeed" most often used in the context of cyclical ketogenic diets with caloric deficits. (Keto is, by definition, less than 100g of carbs/day; most keto diets specify much less.) The basic idea of CKDs is that you cut carbs and total calories for some period (e.g., four days), and then "refeed" (e.g., for a day) with above-maintenance levels of carbs to reset leptin levels and replenish glycogen stores.

Lyle McDonald has probably the best set of discussions on keto diets (inc. "the science," usually w/ extensive links to the research literature). He isn't either "pro-keto" or "anti-keto" -- he does a nice job of laying out the context and the type of person for whom they are most appropriate. (Short answer: unless you're pretty lean already or highly sensitive to insulin, any diet that (a) creates a caloric deficit and (b) you can stick with will work.)

His website is bodyrecomposition.com. It has a ton of info (free).

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

seagirl, that's "Refeeding Syndrome," and it's seen in cases of starvation. It's a cluster of conditions that can occur when someone who has been undereating severely for a long time suddenly begins to eat normally again. It can actually be dangerous! Instead, nutrition has to be increased gradually and in a controlled way.

The "Refeed" that the bodybuilders are talking about is different in that although people are dieting, they are presumed not to be on starvation diets, and the refeed is a short-term increase in calorie intake, primarily complex carbs.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-28-2010 at 08:06 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yes, and it can result from re-feeding an anorexic.

It seems to be used a lot with general dieters, who call a "cheat" meal a refeed in an attempt to give it a fancier name.

On weight watchers, we just call them Weekly Points.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
It seems to be used a lot with general dieters, who call a "cheat" meal a refeed in an attempt to give it a fancier name.
That is my very unstudied opinion as well. Yet, I thought I should be my tolerant, get a bit more educated before adopting to this position.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
The "Refeed" that the bodybuilders are talking about is different in that although people are dieting, they are presumed not to be on starvation diets, and the refeed is a short-term increase in calorie intake, primarily complex carbs.

Jay
Jay-
You are exactly correct. This is the context I have seen it in. I wasn't thinking of anorexia cases. I will check out your link. EVERY time I increase my calories/carbs I gain. I still don't know my carb range. Currently, I like it around 50-75 carbs, but having been tolerating 115 carbs as of late. Could very well be the timing of my cycle and nothing to do with carb count. Also, increased carb count is usually from sugar, my opiate of choice, not 3 more cups of green beans, nor from grains.