Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec. 27, 2010-January 2, 2011

I'm looking forward to the New Year. 2010 was a tough year with two members of my family dying and me not getting it together diet wise till late in the year.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning from snowed under around Boston. There's a bunch on the ground and it's still blowing.

I survived Christmas itself close enough to my food plan and exercise plan. The remaining challenges are in the kitchen: snicker-doodles and truffled walnuts. Both are killer good. Worse, I'm in a mixed marriage - my DW can happily eat one and only one snicker-doodle each day. I am more normal; Should I eat one, I'll happily eat all the rest.

I'm off to ponder when to start shoveling; if I start while it's still blowing, the work is wasted. If I dally too long, it gets harder to shovel.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

The wildly sculpted & uneven drifts here in the recessed courtyard of my building make it impossible for me to gauge how much snow we actually got.

I tend to want to go out into the world, rather than rely on the hysterical reports on Channel 12. Also, since I grew up in an unusually snowy area, I'm not easily impressed.

My French doors onto the patio are blocked by a waist-high drift, but the patio flagstones are bare. My parked car is barely dusted on the hood & windshield, but one side of it is walled-in by snow completely.

Snow was actually blowing up inside my wall unit airconditioner last night, hissing like a python. (It's never done that before.)

Since it's clear but windy, I'm wrestling with a vague feeling of guilt that I didn't trudge through the snow to the gym early this morning: A disrupted habit. I will be uneasy all day till I make it over there, probably tonight, when everything is clear & salted.

And I have to work on the laptop all day today. Which I'm off to do.

The holiday was all right. I had a few moments of warmth & well-being, a brief respite. But in general, it felt like something to be gotten through, white-knuckled. It was not as painful as the previous two Christmases since my father's death. It gets better every year. But it doesn't make me particularly happy.

I had no sweets at all, but we did have roasted pork, roasted lamb & a standing rib roast, one night after another, and this is not usually the way that I eat. (Fish twice a week, one meatless night per week, lots of stews & soups.) Also, I had to stop lifting weights due to pulling my trapezius muscle on Friday morning. So I **feel fat.** I do not feel athletic. I have no idea if that is reality (I weigh once a week, on Fridays, to prevent myself from becoming obsessive, as I tend to do.) But that is how I feel.

Please let me get through the eighth day of my mother's visit without snapping at her, as I've tended to do the past two days.

No shoveling will happen here till I log off from work late this afternoon.

Last edited by saef; 12-27-2010 at 07:52 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I survived my Christmas weekend without too much indulgence in the sweets. Christmas Eve was spent at a friend's house and we had the usual: honey baked ham, tossed salad, baked beans and au gratin potatoes. I prepared a savory bread pudding for Christmas brunch, which I served with fruit. I made oatmeal cookies and had a couple in the afternoon. For dinner, I prepared a standing rib roast, mashed potatoes and my Mom's Dutch Snap Beans. We had no room for dessert, so why serve it? Sunday started as many Sunday's do, with the in-laws bringing Del Taco for lunch. And then for dinner we had fresh tamales, Spanish rice and refried beans. I threw in a strawberry tamale for dessert (which I think would have been better with cream cheese inside, to which I'll suggest to the chef next time!).

But having a three day weekend has left me once again with a sleep problem. The same thing happened over Thanksgiving when I took 6 days off work. I allow myself to sleep in (until 6 AM--is that really considered sleeping in?) and then after a couple mornings of that, I wake on Sunday night/Monday morning at a ridiculous time (today 1:41 AM) and cannot get back to sleep. It makes the day unbearably long and for whatever reason I get hungrier on days when I haven't slept well. Already I feel a headache coming on.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone's holiday was great.

I definitely need the forum this week. I'm treading that slippery slope where I feel less in control and more likely to fall right off. Perhaps it is stress-- family home-- more family coming-- perhaps it is that I don't feel well. Whatever it is, the scale is going berserk. I've never seen such wild fluctuations. Yesterday the scale was higher than I've seen it in over 2 years! I tried hard not to panic but it was hard not to obsess all day. Today the scale was down over 3 pounds (?) but it is still 5 pounds higher than where I want to be. I had a few indulgences but mostly made good choices. My rings are super tight so I know much of it has to be water (still doesn't help my brain much). Just trying to stay focused!

My daughter (from college) brings a lot of stress and anxiety into the house. She has Tourette's and migraines and feels pretty miserable. She also has high anxiety and freaked out yesterday when her computer (mac) wouldn't work. It has given her a lot of issues the past year and it just sets her off. Dh and she have set off this morning for the apple store for some answers. I hope they get some! Younger dd's boyfriend has been at our house constantly which also sets off older dd (jealous but can't/won't admit it).

Add to that-- all of our relatives are arriving Wednesday (from three different continents!). They will be staying in Napa and we will drive up there daily for meals, activities, etc. but won't be staying overnight. I am very thankful we decided not to stay as they will drive us absolutely crazy. There will be many challenging meals though and I'll just have to do my best ordering fish, veggies, etc. New Year's Eve we are going to our favorite restaurant and I will splurge then but I'm going to limit it to that evening (that's the plan anyway).

Give me strength to survive this week! It should be wonderful with all of us off from work. In a perfect world....

Oh! One fun thing that I get to do this week is shop for a dress for our "wedding". I don't know if I mentioned but dh and I are renewing our vows with a Jewish ceremony. When we were married we were married by a Catholic priest as my rabbi refused to marry us (dh wasn't converting). Our temple is doing a "vow renewal" class so two other couples and us will renew our vows on January 15. I have no idea what to wear but I figure it is a good idea to buy something pretty!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #6  
Workin' It

Good morning all -
Well, our sick house continues. DSS was diagnosed with strep the Saturday before Christmas, so the entire week of vacation was pretty much dealing with that. Then lots of travel and crazy over Christmas itself. Now DH has a stomach virus and has been sick for the last 24 hours. I'm just ready for everyone to be healthy again...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We are back from our travels. Christmas was a bit of a disaster re food but it always is at DH's relatives.

I have one day off tomorrow before the dog sit. And apparently I'm spending tonite and the rest of the week and New Year's Eve alone. Thank you DH

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #8  

So DD started asking about carbs and protein, etc. I gave her the info I had and then handed her the South Beach diet books that I have and she's excited to try it! And she's getting something called P90X which has workout DVDs. Since she's been home, she's worked out all but one day (and that was my fault as I forgot to wake her up in time).

DD and DS went car shopping this afternoon. DS has fallen in love with the Chevy Cruze but also likes the Hyundai Sonata and Elantra. We'll all go back on Friday for more information and test drives. He might be getting his Christmas/Birthday car this weekend. He won't get his driver's license until January 10th, however.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Good for your son Alinell!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Did my shoveling. I've found it works best if I work hard for one or two hours, then take a break with a cup of coffee. It's a social time in my neighborhood. We get the news and the gossip and feel the shared burden.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #11  
Workin' It

Allison - P90X is hard...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #12  

I've read about it Shannon, I doubt I'd like it at all! Each workout is an hour long! But it's what she wants to do, and it'd probably be better for her than what she's been doing on her own for the past few months which is basically some cardio and dumbbell and floor exercises. She has a few friends who use it, so they can compare notes. I'm just glad she's doing something. It's hard to say, but I'm pretty certain she's over 200 pounds now.

So yesterday I went home sick. I don't know what happened, but I think it was linked to the bad night's sleep. I got into work and got steadily more and more queasy, but we had no one for backup. FIL called in sick. My office assistant takes Monday's off. Our estimator is in North Carolina for the holidays. DH had some meetings to go to, so I toughed it out until he got back and then went home and slept a bit. It wasn't until this morning that I really felt back to normal. Thankfully I slept really well last night.

If you had leftover prime rib, how would you reheat it? I'm thinking of throwing each piece on the grill for a few minutes. Each slice is about 1/2 inch thick and mostly rare.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That sounds like a nice neighborhood Bill. My neighbors will barely say hello to us and I've tried!

I've heard P90X is very hard too. I hope your dd likes it. Let me know as my dd prefers to exercise at home rather than go to the gym. That is if she does anything at all....sigh..... Hope you feel better Allison!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #14  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hi guys! The visit from my parents went pretty well. I ate way too much junk, but I did not stuff myself at any point. So it's kind of good because I learned not to stuff myself, but kind of bad because the food I did eat was unhealthy. Oh well.

DH really likes the Japanese woodblock print I got him. He gave me a beautiful pair of emerald and diamond earrings. I also got a great indoor bike trainer from my mom which will help with winter exercise!

Two days of grace now before our next batch of house guests arrives. Wish me luck!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

I am back on the wagon today. I did quite well over all - just progressively lost control from Boxing Day lunch on.

I am not going to step on the scale until Monday as all the weight I've gained in the last 2 days is probably bloat.

Watched DH eat liquer-filled chocolates for brekkie this morning and felt downright queasy. He is looking a lot worse for the wear today. He has one more blow out with his friend tomorrow and Thursday and then I hope he'll be too stuffed to continue.

I'm getting a head start on the new year and eating clean all week, including New Year's Eve. I don't drink and I'm dog sitting so I imagine I'll be in bed by 10 p.m.

Have a great evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote