3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Do you still weigh food, count strictly, etc..? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/219363-do-you-still-weigh-food-count-strictly-etc.html)

Mama2Five 12-10-2010 07:46 AM

Do you still weigh food, count strictly, etc..?

I am getting frustrated with everyone who acts like I am a crazed lunatic because I still count my calories. If I'm out with friends and don't have that whopper, they say things like "I thought you were done dieting?" or they say I'm obsessed because I've lost the weight but still count my food and weigh certain things at home.

I feel like I have worked hard for this and don't want to gain it back....I'm not obsessed, I'm just being cautious, especially since I just started maintenance very recently. Am I crazy??

JayEll 12-10-2010 07:59 AM

No, you're not crazy. Lots of folks continue to weigh and measure for a long time. But probably you are also becoming more practiced at judging portions without weighing and measuring, yes? For example, I'm now pretty good at eyeballing a half-cup of cooked rice, for example, or three ounces of chicken, or four ounces of lean ground beef. It comes with practice.

And sometimes I do weigh and measure, just to make sure I'm not having judgment drift... :) All measurements and calorie values are estimates based on averages anyway, so it's not an exact science. That said, 1 cup is not the same as 1/2 cup, so it doesn't hurt to check.

Jay

Mama2Five 12-10-2010 08:04 AM

Yes I can guess better now....but I am very cautious with higher calorie things. Like the other day we had some stuffing, and a wrong guess can mean quite a difference in calories. If it' something like green beans or a lower calorie food, then I will guess sometimes.

Txalupa 12-10-2010 09:00 AM

I've been at goal for awhile now, but I still count and stick with my plan. It's not just about losing weight, it's about keeping yourself in check for lifelong changes. Like Jayell said, it's also important to measure once in awhile for a reality check. Good for you, stick to your plan. We are trying to make this last a long time!!!!

bargoo 12-10-2010 09:28 AM

I still count calories, it is a small inconvenience compared to starting all over.

TexArk 12-10-2010 09:28 AM

It has been my personal experience and my observation that those who lose a considerable amount of weight will regain it once they quit being vigilant. Most repeat offenders have learned their lesson and will continue to count and weigh. I used to visit this site while I was maintaining a 50 lb. weight loss. I maintained for nearly 5 years. Then I thought I didn't need to weigh and count. I eyeballed for awhile and then I went the Intuitive Eating route. Result: gained the lost weight back plus some.

My conclusion is that I will keep close watch on my portions and will weigh daily the rest of my life. It is just an automatic habit and it doesn't have to be obvious to everyone around me. Folks don't argue with thin people about what they are eating or leaving on their plate or whether they are skipping a dessert. If I am confident and not acting deprived, people will leave me alone and if not, so what?

Tessa 12-10-2010 09:32 AM

You are not crazy, that is part of maintenance which I have found recently myself, I just want to be sure I maintain this weight that I am happy with and not go overboard because then that strikes for something bad to happen or bad habits to come back. So I think you are doing the right thing, and people who say things like that are trying to sabbotage your great success and good for you, to not give in! Keep up the great work with maintenance it's an exciting time for you, and I think your doing what you should. People always say little comments to me as well, and it gets frusterating the more and more you hear it.

ncuneo 12-10-2010 10:24 AM

Absolutly! My maintenance looks no different than weight loss. Plan, measure, weigh, count and exercise.

Bright Angel 12-10-2010 12:09 PM

Weighing food, counting calories etc.

Yes,
I continue to weigh and measure my food,
and to track my calories by logging all of it into a computer software program.

Losing weight didn't "heal" me.
I have the same problem with food that I did when I was fat.

I will continue my present tracking activities, no matter how it might appear to others,
because it is the reason I've maintained a large weight loss for nearly 5 years.

xty 12-10-2010 01:50 PM

You are SMART, not crazy.

Those of us that act atypical from the norm are often called crazy, really just abnormal...which is a compliment :) Who wants to be normal when normal is eating fast food, drinking soda, being overweight, and not caring about the impact of what you eat on your health!

I do still count calories in maint, as much to make sure Im eating *enough* and the right foods as to make sure Im not eating too much.

Dont worry about what anyone else thinks, and maybe dont share the details of your calorie counting or eating plan more than is needed. :)

Glory87 12-10-2010 03:36 PM

If I am happy with my weight, I estimate calories roughly (to the nearest 100), in my head each day. Like "yogurt/berries, 200, salad is about 400, that's 600, latte is 100, that's 700, etc etc).

If I'm unhappy with my weight, I write my day's menus in advance (here on 3FC and update my posts at night with what I actually ate). I still do a lot of estimating, but I write down everything I eat carefully to stay accountable.

There are some foods I still weigh/measure, even after 6 years. I always measure rice/pasta. I usually weigh out the meats for my salad (my food scale is pretty handy). I have never measured "green vegetables" - salad greens, broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, etc. Usually, I mentally give all fruit "100 calories" no matter what it is or what size it is. Sometimes, I'm more careful with cherries/grapes, but usually all fruit is 100.

This works for me, it is not necessary to be more detailed. If the scale started to creep and my normal attempts to regulate my weight failed, I'd bust out the Fitday and get super serious. But, luckily, I can mostly be casual and estimate and it's an easy lifestyle to maintain, even every day.

I don't give a **** what anyone else thinks. If they persisted in being obnoxious with their comments - I would use the calories as money budget analogy. If a person meticulously uses software to track spending and budget money, everyone is impressed and says they are fiscally responsible. Why is budgeting calories freaky?

JenMusic 12-11-2010 10:27 AM

I am the world's WORST estimator. I have no idea how tall people are (taller than me, is usually about as accurate as I can get), how many people are in a crowd or at a party, how heavy something is, or how much something costs. Even after 10+ months of measuring and counting calories, I still have no idea what 28 grams of hummus looks like - and I eat that almost every day! I think the "estimation" center of my brain is missing. :)

Because of this, I have become best friends with my digital food scale and my calorie tracker. I'm approaching goal, but have no intentions of giving either of those things up once I get there. If people want to think I'm weird/OCD/obsessed, that's fine - I can be all of those things as long as I am at a healthy weight for me.

Over Christmas, I'm going to be a my sister's house for 10 days or so, and am bringing my food scale with me. I know I'm going to take some grief for that from her, because she doesn't really understand how much of a lifestyle change this is for me. At the same time, my dad has Type II diabetes and my sister (37 years old) was just placed on medicine for hgh blood pressure. If being super-vigilant about my food portions helps me avoid the same fate, I'll take her ridicule with a smile.

bargoo 12-11-2010 10:51 AM

JenMusic, you will be setting a good example for your sister and your Dad.

Karen925 12-11-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenMusic (Post 3603915)
Because of this, I have become best friends with my digital food scale and my calorie tracker. I'm approaching goal, but have no intentions of giving either of those things up once I get there. If people want to think I'm weird/OCD/obsessed, that's fine - I can be all of those things as long as I am at a healthy weight for me.

This is exactly me, and I love to estimate. I like to estimate then compare to reality. The isle of denial comes in many forms, and I will not vacation there again. I also give this level of attention to other important areas of my life. So it seems very easy me to continue on doing what has brought me success and joy.

Heavenseventeen 12-12-2010 10:50 AM

When I estimated my milk earlier this year, I got it wrong by 100-200 cals. Then I added more cereal because there was more milk, so that added even more cals. I don't want to make that mistake when I start maintaining, so I'll keep tracking. Without the numbers in my head, I'm too tempted to overeat.

Also, calorie counting makes us different from 'naturally slim/skinny' people. If we act like they do, we won't LOOK like they do because we're different inside. I want to keep that 'distance' between us.