3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec. 6 - Dec. 12 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/218976-maintainers-weekly-chat-dec-6-dec-12-a.html)

BillBlueEyes 12-06-2010 04:44 AM

Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec. 6 - Dec. 12

Starting off the week with a cough, making myself undesirable around anyone. I'm grateful for the invention of cough drops with zinc. Because they cost so much and have a limit on the number to be used in a day, I feel they must work. I can pop the plain cherry candy type of drops non-stop; don't know what their effect is on a cough, but I do get a sugar high, LOL.

Dagmar - Love reading that you're sponsoring a girl in Tanzania. That's the one African country I've visited - just a lovely place. Good luck planning wise and sane use of your godmother's gift.

Megan (Megan1982) - Ouch for a month without your DBF - that's a noble list of activities for distraction. It's exhausting just to think of that lab you're tending.

alinnell - Thanks for the reminder of the salt in Red Lobster food. LOL at "TWO starches and NO vegetable?"

WaterRat - Thanks for "I have no desire to go back to work!" Considering that option, I've queried all my retired friends. Only two out of about a hundred expressed any desire to get back in the rat race.

Waving back to all.

Mudpie 12-06-2010 06:08 AM

Good Morning all!

It's wonderful what a sense of security having enough money gives me. I feel so much less anxious about DH, the CMA, all that stuff since I now have a safety net (Africa is still on the "maybe" list so I'll have $5K buffer while DH finishes his studies).

I haven't been eating at night since I got the news :D and am under my red line again for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Megan Labs are very energetic working dogs and they will go and go and go. I walked 12 of them every day for years - all ages - and they all had that in common.

I did sleep overs with a lot of them and I loved being adored all the time. It can get a bit nerve-wracking though as they are in your face constantly. Big chewy bones can be a welcome distraction for them.

Are you staying with the dog? If not then she is probably very anxious - they really are social and don't like being alone at all. That anxiety is coming out as nervous energy.

Oops, yoga time!

Great Monday all! :D

Dagmar :dance:

traveling michele 12-06-2010 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your cough Bill. I had it a couple of weeks ago and the effects are still lingering. Don't know if I've tried the zinc drops-- I'll have to try them next time.

Glad to hear you are feeling better Dagmar. Money worries are some of the most stressful out there for sure! I would love a return trip to Africa. It is such a beautiful continent.

Weekend was pretty good. My weight is finally coming down (I hope). I was hoping to be back to 123 today but I was 124.2. Since I'm usually up over the weekend I'm hoping it will be lower later in the week IF I stay focused!

I have one more project to do for my masters. I can't believe that I will be done and have graduated in less than two weeks. I will be in Texas for the graduation. I am so excited. I just want to finish my project! It is a fun one but labor intensive so I can't just rush through it.

Good Monday everyone else!!

alinnell 12-06-2010 12:43 PM

Sorry about your cold, Bill. But I'm glad the zinc lozenges work for you. I have an idea that I'm slightly allergic to zinc as it makes me feel weird. The same kind of weird that chamomile makes me feel. I never get a rash or anything but I get itchy in odd places.

So glad you're almost done with school, Michele. Congratulations!

I'm having a really bad day which is the beginning of a really bad week. It won't get better for several days. It's because my computer blew up Friday afternoon. We're pretty sure it's just the power supply, but I'm really suffering without MY computer in MY office attached to MY accessories! I am in our old partner's office using his computer. There is no window in here! And no calendar or clock! And my bookmarks were on the old computer. And I can't scan anything. I still have access to all the documents I need as we have a server BUT this computer doesn't have the upgraded software, so in order to do some of my work, I have to boot DH off of his computer. Such a hassle!

iriswhispers 12-06-2010 01:23 PM

:bravo: Michele! I too am finishing my master's in the next week and a half so I feel you on the excitement mingled with how very much work needs to be completed between now and then!

traveling michele 12-06-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriswhispers (Post 3597103)
:bravo: Michele! I too am finishing my master's in the next week and a half so I feel you on the excitement mingled with how very much work needs to be completed between now and then!

Hooray to us Iris!!:carrot:

Someone asked my professor when she would have our grades done and she said by December 22. I graduate December 18 so I don't see how that will work!!
I am awaiting her response to my question now....

Shannon in ATL 12-06-2010 04:28 PM

Congrats to Michele and Iris!

paperclippy 12-06-2010 05:09 PM

Dagmar, great news about your inheritance!

Megan, if the dog walks well on a leash, you could try taking him running and get both of you some exercise...

Michele and Iris, congrats on your upcoming graduations!

Allison, I hope you get your computer issues resolved soon.

Bill, get well soon! Someone told me today that I sounded like I was coming down with something. I hope they're wrong, because I feel fine. I have had a few issues lately with trying to come off of my allergy nasal spray for the winter, which is always hard.

Megan1982 12-06-2010 11:02 PM

Hi all,

It's cold here, at least for Florida! :brr: It's actually supposed to get below freezing for the rest of the week (don't laugh, Pat) so I brought all the potted plants inside and have pulled out my warm coat.

To answer the dog questions, staying at the dog's house was not offered to me (nor would I want to - the owner is a dirty bachelor). I had thought I might bring the dog to my house. I was a bit concerned about letting her have free reign while I was at work etc so I planned to bring her crate over since she was crate trained, mentioned it to the owner, he said that would be fine, etc. Well I went to collapse it and it wasn't the collapsible kind, and there was no way I could fit it in my car (so this one was my fault - should have been more specific w owner). He also has only a 4-ft leash for her, which she clearly has never been trained to walk on. She only dragged me down the street for a few minutes before I gave up (I don't think the owner walks her, just puts her in the fenced-in back yard). So I've been taking her down remote roads and into forest paths where there are no cars. I did notice she walked for part of her walks today rather than running everywhere, and is slightly less jumpy, so I'm hoping my long walks are having a positive influence on her. Or she's just used to me. Dagmar I'll have to try "take a break" but I don't think she's been taught that one!

Bill, I hope you feel better soon!

Iris and Michele, bravo to you both!

Allison, sorry to hear about your computer problems. I've been in similar situations and it is a big pain. I hope your new computer arrives and is up & running very soon.

Anyone have any gift ideas for my physics geek brother-in-law? I'm kind of stumped... the only idea I've got is iTunes credits.

Mudpie 12-07-2010 06:04 AM

Megan It sounds like you are the only positive thing this poor dog has experienced. I'll spare everyone the long rant about what this guy is doing wrong with the dog - you all can figure that out.

But a lot of labs who come into rescue are just under exercised - sad! Why get a big energetic working dog if you are going to keep it in a box?

I'm still "evening eating" free - 5 days if I make tonite. That's a personal record! I've been trying on my most form-fitting dresses as incentive too!

DH is again floating in a sea of negativity, something to do with his latest CMA group project. He doesn't seem able to function unless he is unhappy or angry. I watched him grind through a package of rice cakes last night. I have a really good visual now of how I must look when I do it.

I'm going to go play in the new fresh snow with the dogs today - yippeee! Did I mention that I love my job?

Great Tuesday all!

alinnell 12-07-2010 04:03 PM

We're dealing with Labrador issues on the other end of the spectrum. Buddy had a bad weekend, refusing to eat unless he was either hand fed or we mixed pumpkin into his kibble. I was really worried after work yesterday when he wasn't waiting in his usual place, but it was all for naught. He was lounging in the living room (rather than the garage) and was back to his jaunty self all evening and again this morning. Still in all we wonder when "the time" will come.

I'm still dealing with the lack of my computer here at work. The computer I'm working on doesn't have the right software on it because it's just a spare so I have to move around to get stuff done. It's such a hassle. I just sent an email to my tech guy to see if he was able to diagnose the problem. I'm hoping he'll get it fixed by Friday.

I've decided that I'm not even going to try to lose anything in December but as soon as January comes I'm back in full throttle. I have to get back down for my reunion!

DH and I have decided not to attempt going to Portugal or Spain this year (DD is going to tour with her university symphonic band in Portugal in July). We're looking at at least two and possibly three trips this summer and it's just too hard to plan and be away from the office more than that. Instead we'll look forward to the spring or summer of 2012 when we'll fly to Hawaii and take an island cruise to celebrate my in-law's 50th anniversary.

Hope all you easterners are staying warm!!

Mudpie 12-08-2010 05:44 AM

Someone posted in an old thread re Lilybelle. Have any of you heard any news?

Megan1982 12-08-2010 11:35 AM

Oh my gosh, yesterday was so stressful. We had a staff meeting and found out the big boss is leaving, another person is leaving, and talked about another staff person's tumor/illness (which is not new news, but further contributed to the already depressed mood). At lunchtime I went to let out Daisy, my dog-sitting charge. We were walking down the street, Daisy sniffing and just doing her normal, doggie thing, when a dog ran off a porch, across the yard, lunged at Daisy and BIT HER. Totally unprovoked - I don't know if Daisy even realized another dog was there. She's got two teeth marks in her flank!!! Thankfully the dog didn't keep going at her, and Daisy came to me when I called and I got her back to the house and away from the other dog. It doesn't seem too serious, I had some coworkers who have more experience with animal woundslook at it with me, I'm keeping it clean, Daisy's rabies is up-to-date, etc. But still... I was both upset about Daisy's wound and furious at the owners of this dog. Daisy's owner is also p!@#$% (not that I blame him) and I told him to decide how to deal with the dog's owners and/or report it (frankly I'm scared to walk up to that house).

And then the mechanic called me and told me my car is leaking oil, so that will be a big expense somewhere in the next year or so (my engine will need a 70,000 mile check-up soon and while it's apart I'll do the oils seals too).

But I did not eat chocolate, or the s'mores sitting on the work microwave, and I did not drink wine when I got home. Food and drink would not have actually made me feel better. I took Daisy home with me, packed my lunch, gym bag etc, and went to sleep because that's what I needed.

I haven't heard any word from Lily. I hope she's ok.

Dagmar, I totally agree with you about the importance of exercising dogs. My parents imparted this one to me, as mom always took our family's lab/retriever mixes on lots of long walks. Did you and the dogs have fun in the snow? It's so fun to play with dogs in snow - they are always so amazed!

Allison, I'm glad Buddy is back to his usual self. Sorry about the continued computer issues. Ugh.

Everyone else must be very busy! (Busy staying warm?) Brrrr... At least having all my plants inside are improving my indoor air quality, right?

traveling michele 12-08-2010 02:35 PM

Oh Megan! That is so scary!! I'm glad you are okay and hopefully the dog too.

Allison-- glad Buddy seems better. My Ozzie seems fine one day, falls down the next, etc. I'm sure our weather isn't helping him any.

alinnell 12-08-2010 04:39 PM

I got my computer back! I am so happy! Thankfully it was just the power supply that blew up and everything is working normally. I'm thinking there must have been an issue with the PS because the fans always ran on high and now with the new PS the fans are on low and it's much quieter.

Megan~that is very scary about the other dog. I belong to a chat board for Labrador owners and I hear this so often. I don't understand why people don't keep their dogs on leashes or behind fences. In most places it is against the law to allow your dog to roam. Can you complain to animal control?

I've caught a cold. It's been coming for days now. It started with a slight runny nose and a lot of sneezing so at first I thought it was an allergy. Then that went away, but I've been having terrible night-time coughing. Today I've developed a slight sore throat. But what's weird is I don't feel sick. I guess that only means that I don't have the flu because there's no fever or anything.