Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat - Oct 25 - Oct 31

We've got a full week left in October - Yay! That's another week for me to dawdle in recognizing that summer is dwindling.

Starting the work week almost seems like relaxation after an over-booked weekend. Seems that everything we want or need to do shows up at once. But that included visiting the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum - a Venetian palace transplanted to Boston that is filled with her vast personal art collection: the amazing, the eclectic, and the odd alike. She was well known in Boston society as the lady that had her portrait painted by John Singer Sargent with bare elbows - just scandalous. And wearing a string of pearls so long she wore them in a double loop around her waist - more scandalous. And with her mouth slightly ajar as if about to speak - unspeakably scandalous. Wish I'd had the chance to meet her.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Red face Good Morning all!

Interesting lady Bill. I must look her up on Wiki.

My weekend was a train wreck - Mishka's impending surgery, DH's stuff, my niece's snubbing me, the loss of yet another client, etc. etc. Good thing I didn't have any Halloween candy in the house.

Back on track this week. Getting stoked for Halloween (my fave holiday) and Cesar the day after that!

Great Monday all!

Dagmar to
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Bill, I was always kind of sad that when I lived in Rhode Island we never made it to that museum. It always seemed to be closed on the days we went up to Boston.

Dagmar, I am keeping your kitty in my thoughts.

I am sad today. I found out yesterday that Nereus, the juvenile walrus at our zoo, passed away suddenly a few days ago (necropsy revealed he had an inoperable tumor on his spinal cord). He was one of the biggest attractions at the zoo, partially because he was featured on Animal Planet ("Growing Up Walrus") and partially because he was always friendly and wanted to play with the kids. There is an underwater viewing window, and he would swim back and forth to chase kids running on the other side. I was just saying to DH last week, "We should go to the zoo soon and visit Nereus." They are now down to only one walrus (at one point a few years ago they had four) and they have moved the seals to the walrus exhibit to keep her company. I hope they get another walrus soon!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Summer certainly is dwindling. DS this morning asked "why is it so dark" and I explained that the days are getting shorter and the sun hasn't come up yet because we've got two more weeks of daylight saving time. I'm kind of glad they finally decided not to change back to standard time until after Halloween--I always thought it was dumb to change that just before the holiday, but now that I don't have kids that trick or treat, it seems like we're on DST too long. Perhaps I should move to Arizona.

We had a nice weekend. I got a ton of errands run on Saturday morning and managed a nice nap that afternoon. We went to see Hereafter yesterday. Very interesting movie. DS even liked it even though it was just a drama (he usually prefers action flicks).

I've managed to take off 3 pounds and keep them off through the weekend (which is usually tough) so this week I'll concentrate on taking off a couple more. I'd really like to be back to where I was last summer by Thanksgiving. It's do-able, but it could be difficult. We'll see what happens. Did I mention my Thanksgiving head count is up to 26 for dinner? And the weekend before DH and I are driving to AZ for the weekend to see a concert and go to a play with my friend there and her boyfriend who just moved back to the states from Australia. It'll be a busy week!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

26 people for Thanksgiving--yikes! Besides cooking for that crowd, how do you remember all their names? Kudos on keeping the weight off. Wish I could follow in your footsteps.

Jessica, that's sad about the walrus. Hopefully if the zoo gets another one, it will be just as personable as Neurus.

Dagmar, I'm sorry about the loss of clients and particularly about the upcoming surgery. Sending good thoughts to Mishka.

Bill, isn't it funny what people used to think was scandalous? I find a lot of today's outfits pretty scandalous actually, so that makes me an old fart, I guess.

We, too, had a busy weekend--attended a 10-year anniversary party (the couple is in their 70s), my DH had a 4-hour meeting, we went apple picking, then a dinner and travel slide show of Germany and Austria at some friends who went to the Passion Play at Oberammergau this fall. Since it's done once every 10 years, it's a pretty big deal.

Not sure if it's age, medication, increased weight lifting or a combination of all of the above, but the weight I gained (so easily!) on my two-week trip just isn't coming off the way I thought it should. Of course, maybe the homemade salsa (my first batch--it was delicious!) and tortilla chips had something to do with it, but I limited myself to about 5 chips.

A couple of days of highs in the 40s this week--heading toward winter way too fast. Got almost all my yard clean-up done, though, so that feels good.

Have a great Monday!

Last edited by Sheila53; 10-25-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Another busy weekend for me and a huge weight gain on the scale today.
I visited dd at her college over the weekend-- we had a very nice weekend-- shopped, saw a movie, ate and ate and ate. I'm hoping sodium is a majority of the weight but I need to crack down better in general. My exercise has been way off this month. I did run two days out of four on the trip but I usually rarely miss a day of exercise. Super busy month so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself.

That is sad about the walrus. I hope they get a new one soon.

Dagmar-- good thoughts for your kitty. What is that treatment for? It sounds like the radioactive iodine treatment I had to treat my thyroid.

Hi to everyone else!! I'm going to try to be more active this week but it is still my crazy busy time. Soon things will calm down somewhat. Hopefully.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I forgot to mention my question for you all.
I am seriously considering seeing a plastic surgeon for possible surgery. Has anyone done this? I'm pretty sure some of you have. I am looking to have a tummy tuck (I think that is what it is called) to have the extra skin removed and the stretch marks. I've toned and tightened for over 2 years and still have the skin so I don't think it is going anywhere. I am on the fence about a breast lift and/or breast enlargement. I am sadly deflated and much smaller than before. I don't know if a lift will give the illusion of more breast? I am hesitant to do an enlargement because I want them to look and feel real. Shannon-- you had an enlargement, correct?

Any experiences any of you care to share? I'm wondering in particular about recovery periods, results, etc.
Thanks!

Last edited by traveling michele; 10-25-2010 at 02:58 PM.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Oy, what a busy month this is going to be for me - leaving Thursday for Tennessee (still, October, I know) for almost a week. Then back for a few days and off to Denver for a conference. Then two big papers and presentations before December 7 and I get a master's degree! Somewhere in there I'm supposed to be training for a half marathon.... ack. I'm feeling a little stressed these days, which does not encourage me to eat healthy.

I went to a Halloween party Saturday night and only munched a little and sipped on my BF's beer. So that's a success, at least. It definitely helped that my costume was so tight - that prohibited me from grabbing one (or several) of my own beers, which always make me feel so bloated!

Dagmar, I hope things turn out ok for your kitty. I can't imagine what we'd do if one of my BFs cats needed something so expensive... we certainly don't have the money but they are his babies - pets really become like children!

Jessica, what a bummer about the walrus =(.

Allison, good luck on your Thanksgiving goal! Are you going to Phoenix for the concert? Who's playing? I'm in Tucson and we get some decent shows occasionally, but Phoenix really draws the big names.

Michele, I'm glad you had a good weekend with your DD. My mom and I are hoping to take some kind of trip together next summer or so and I'm really looking forward to it. We have a great relationship and it's hard living on opposite sides of the country.

No info from me on the plastic surgery. I've been thinking that some day when I'm settled in a permanent job I'll get my boobs fixed - one is literally a cup size larger than the other... but I generally like to avoid doctors and surgery when at all possible so I'll probably never end up doing it and just keep padding the smaller one! =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriswhispers View Post

Allison, good luck on your Thanksgiving goal! Are you going to Phoenix for the concert? Who's playing? I'm in Tucson and we get some decent shows occasionally, but Phoenix really draws the big names.
It's an Usher concert. I think it's in Glendale. The next night we'll go to see Hairspray at a small Phoenix playhouse.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Good morning all! Busy weekend for me, and an even busier week coming up... Whew. I already need a nap.

Dagmar - sorry about your kitty. I hope he is okay.

Bill - I love that painting, she does sound like a fascinating woman.

Jessica - I'm sorry about the walrus honey. That is sad. Our zoo lost a long lived gorilla a few years back, and I think a panda last year?

Allison - good job on the weight loss! And wow, 26 for Thanksgiving? I'm tired just reading that.

Sheila - yes, the chips and salsa may have something to do with the weight not leaving yet.

Iris - wow, you have a busy time coming up! Be careful on your travels!

Michele - I did have a breast augmentation surgery, yes. I got 500cc per side, silicon, under the muscle. Took me from a 34AA to a 34DD more or less. I can wear 32 band, but just don't like the tighter band size. 34DD is a little easier to find, too. I am very pleased with the results, they feel natural to me, and look it IMO. My surgeon was pretty up front about the fact that breast implants not creating cleavage, and he won't dissect the pocket to try to bring them closer together and give the illusion of cleavage. So, I just have larger versions of my wide set breasts. I still wear push up bras for the tight cleavage look, have nice side boob, and they fall to the sides some when I lie down instead of looking fake. I really didn't want the 'fake' look. I took a week off work, had the surgery on Thursday, went back to work the following Wednesday. It was about four weeks before I could easily lift anything over about 5 pounds. I could start low foot impact cardio (a lot of elliptical) after two weeks, could do ad and LB work after four weeks, could do UB work after 6 weeks. Got back into it pretty slowly, and still haven't recovered the pull up. PM me if you have any more questions, or want more specific detail. I think Marie had some work as well, has anyone heard from her lately?

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #11  

I mentioned a few weeks back that I hadn't heard from Marie.

Meg had some surgery, also--mainly to get rid of excess skin, if I remember correctly.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Allison, I remember you asking about Marie but didn't realize how long ago it had been. Time is flying - wow.

Marie, if you are out there let us know how you are doing!

Meg had some surgery, yes. I think she has some posts in the 'Loose Skin' FAQs in the Body Image After Weight Loss section maybe?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #13  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

I'm back! And mostly very relaxed from my long trip. After a while I gave up on catching lobster since there weren't many to be caught and told BF we should just dive for fun spots instead, and dove on some amazing coral reefs, fished, etc. Of course we went into Key West a few times but actually mainly we stayed up on our Key. The water was beautiful! We had some bad weather, and on days we couldn't go out on the boat I powerwalked around the neighborhood. I ate oatmeal for breakfast some days, got whole grain bread and basic sandwich stuff for lunches on the boat, but other than that my eating and drinking habits were definitely out there on vacation mode.

Now I've had my fun... time to get serious about my weight. I actually only gained 2 lbs, but biggest pants were already quite tight before I left. I actually started a food journal yesterday for the first time in months, and of course headed back to the gym. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm re-starting again. I'm trying not to get discouraged by the fact that I've got a beer tasting/Halloween party to go to Friday night, and not set myself up to 'blow it' by thinking I'll blow it anyway (sadly I'm halfway towards that thinking right now). I'm telling ya'll - so I'll be accountable!

And it's still warm here, but I actually don't need to turn the AC back on. This weekend we're supposed to get lows in the 40's. Yeah, fall is finally here!

Shannon, what are you busy with this week?

Iris, wow, you're busy too! Good luck with your training. I'll try to remember you for inspiration at my Halloween party this weekend.

Michele, no personal experience, but as Shannon mentioned I know several of our veterans have posted in the "loose skin" etc. sticky at the top of the forum. I'm sure there is some good advice in there for you.

Sheila, let's take off the vacation pounds together! Yard work burns a lot of calories, too.

Jessica, sorry about the walrus.

Dagmar, I missed it, what is Mishka's surgery for? Sorry about the weekend stress but great job keeping candy out of the house in the face of it all.

Bill, sounds like I would have liked this Isabella woman! Mouth open as if to speak, oh my!

I'm glad to be back amongst my 3fc friends. Have a good week all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #14  
Workin' It

Megan - welcome back! Sounds like a great trip. My busy this week is covering for my controller who is on vacation until 11/4 and my staff accountant who I had to finally let go on 10/11, trying to vet candidates to replace said staff accountant, and lots of extra DSS time starting Wed because his mom is going to the John Stewart rally in DC so will be gone from Wed night - Sunday.

Good day yesterday - food went well. Exercise went well. Trying for another good day today.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Howdy! Another lost soul reporting back. I had a great two weeks in Flagstaff, AZ and in Oregon/Washington. I'm not even going to try to catch up with everyone, but just jump back in. I stayed about the same weight, though I was up a couple of pounds on Sundsay (got home Sat night) but that was "flying weight" as it's all gone this morning. Now to work on getting more off....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote