Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Aug 23-29

Facing a chilly, rainy day today - more like fall than summer. It saps my desire to get out even as I type this before the sun is out. By afternoon, when I'm scheduled to get to gym, I hope to have my moxie awakened. I've walked to the gym in pouring rain before - it's not a big deal. Goretex was invented for this.

We're harvesting an abundance of tomatoes right now; every tomato plant in our small community garden is a big producer this year. We are consuming as many as we possibly can and giving away tons. I prefer giving them away, of course, rather than rotting on my kitchen windowsill, but I cringe that we can't save them for those winter months when we'd die for a home grown tomato. I'm still working on accepting this seasons thing.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good Morning All!

Last week of August !

I am going to be back at home tonite. . Working computers, yoga and weights workouts resume, my own cats and garden to love, and DH of course!

There will probably be a big discussion of dieting and maintenance with DH tomite. Then he will start his journey for real this time. I'm going to be really positive with him and cheer him on for every lb. he loses

I've got a lot to do before I leave today! Better get on it!

Great Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Bill-- we are also harvesting tomatoes. Yum! We are managing to eat all of them so far. Our temps have been cold all summer and today-- the first day of school-- it is projected to be 99 and tomorrow is projected to be 107! I feel like I've gotten jipped out of summer and now I'm back at work!

Dagmar-- yeah for being back home!

Today is my first day back at school (with kids)-- I worked last week. They don't come and see me until later in the week. In the meantime I've got to try to figure out how to schedule 1000 plus kids to see me in the library each week.

I decided I'm going to change my ticker each Monday to reflect my Monday weight. I'm hoping that will help me get back to where I'd like to be (123). When I was at Weight Watchers yesterday, the leader was trying to convince me that I'm really not eating enough considering all of the exercise I do. I've heard such varying reports on this-- I know there is no true "starvation mode" but I've heard that your metabolism can slow down if you don't eat enough. What are your thoughts?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I envy those of you with cool temperatures. We're expecting the hottest of the hot for the next few days (up to 115 WITH humidity!).

I also envy you with fresh tomatoes. I get mine on the vine from Costco, but they still aren't quite as good as home grown.

I dropped DS off at school this morning for registration. He'll get his class schedule and new ID card and stuff. He starts next Monday. DD starts her junior year of college today.

We went to see The Switch yesterday. Cute movie. Funny but predictable.

We went to a dinner party Saturday night and save for that slice of cake (it was a birthday party) I did quite well. Very small piece of chicken, fresh veggies and salad. One small piece of bread. Oh, yeah, there was wine. But at least the food was decent.

Marie~I don't freak with bats flying around me. I think they're pretty cool in how they use their sonar to get close but won't hit you.

Dagmar~poor doggies. I had a dog that was allergic to a lot of things and it was so hard to see her in distress.

Sheila~way to go with the fair! So what kind of flowers are you thinking of entering next year?

Well, Monday is here again, so I best be getting to work.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

It was cool and foggy this morning here too. Starting to feel like fall -- a bit early for my tastes!

We haven't gotten a huge number of tomatoes since we have been neglecting our plants, but we are getting a million cucumbers. I made gazpacho last night with the cucumbers and some tomatoes we got from DH's grandma.

I'm off on vacation starting Thursday evening. My sister's getting married Sunday, then we're going to Yosemite for a few days, and then a friend is getting married the following Sunday. Busy, but should be fun. It will be nice to have some time off work, I haven't taken more than 2-3 days off since Christmas. Food will be a challenge. I will do my usual vacation technique of eating a healthy breakfast and exercising a lot, and trying to make generally good choices otherwise but allowing indulgence. After the vacation is over though I need to buckle down. I haven't gained any weight but I know that since I'm not training as hard anymore it's just waiting to sneak up on me.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning. It's feeling like fall in the mornings here too. We had a pretty rain-free weekend, and it's nice again today. Summer - just in time for fall.

We are finally getting tomatos as well, but managing to eat them. THey appear at every lunch and dinner!

Michele - I think that your WW leader may be right. You need to fuel your workouts. One thing that Precision Nutrition (which sponsors the program I did) recommends is a protein and carb mini-meal within an hour after working out (protein shake; cottage cheese and fruit; turkey wrap, etc).

Dagmar - do you click your heels and say "there's no place like home" to get back to your real life?

Jessica - sounds like a fun and busy vacation. I'm sure you'll do fine.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

3FC tomato edition.

Bill, I'm canning tomatoes as I write this (well, they're in the water bath). I think the last time I canned anything was in the 70s. Only four pints so far, but I thought I'd give it a shot since the tomatoes are starting to come on. You can freeze tomatoes, BTW, and use them in soups and stuff. Might taste better than the canned ones you get in the store.

Dagmar, I'm sure everyone will be so happy to have you home. Do you do the yoga and weights at home? Do you have a yoga DVD or just know the routines? I'm looking for a good yoga DVD.

Michele, welcome back to school. I think you can eat too few calories for the amount of working out, but I think you'd feel the effects of that in your energy level. I believe that anorexics do slow down their metabolism, but I think it takes a lot of restricted calories to do so.

Allison, is the cost of going to public school higher than last year? I'm assuming DS goes to public school. I don't remember my parents writing checks to the school like we had to do with our kids. My parents did have to buy us ugly shorts and shirts for PE, however. I'm going to enter dahlias, zinnias and glads--I have a white glad with a pink center that's lovely.

Jessica, be careful in Yosemite. Or was it Yellowstone where the bears are eating people? Sounds like you'll need a vacation from your vacation when you get back. Have fun!

Pat, tomato ice cream maybe? I feel the same way about cherry tomatoes and summer squash, maybe because I have to eat all the squash myself.

Yesterday was pretty much the perfect summer day, although it followed an incredible wind storm with gusts up to 70 mph. A lot of downed trees in the park where I was at a party. Today's pretty awesome, too, with sun and a high of 81 degrees. After I get these tomatoes canned, I'm going out to work in the garden. I tend to neglect it when the temps are in the upper 90s.

Took two of my kittens back to the shelter because they "made weight" and can be spayed, then adopted out. The little guy misses them, but having three really active kittens was just a bit too much for us, especially my cat. She's happier with just one, although she'll be even happier when he makes weight and heads out of here.

Have a great Monday!

Canning update: I had one jar break in the water bath, and I noticed two were leaking water from the top so I ended up with one very expensive pint of home canned tomatoes and one burned finger! Not sure what I did wrong, but I probably will have enough tomatoes to try it again.

Last edited by Sheila53; 08-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #8  

Sheila~I don't think the costs are any more than last year, and yes he does go to public school. Basically I paid $75 to preorder the yearbook (saves up to $15) $35 for his ASB card which gets him into games and such for free and it also carries his lunch money that I renew online when needed. He had his gym clothes stolen half-way through last year, so his is new enough that he didn't need new ones. And they certainly aren't as ugly as what we had to wear! Did you wear those one piece blue polyester zip up monstrosities? Funny thing, one of my classmates was looking for a photo showing them and no one could find evidence of them! I guess we hated them so much that no one took photos!

And it is Yellowstone where the bears are eating people. My in-laws have been up there all summer and several bad things happened: someone got struck by lightening while watching Old Faithful, the bears attacked and then those escaped convicts were supposedly in the area before they were caught.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Anybody want any zucchini, tomatoes, or peppers? We have piles of them coming out the wazoo!!
I have been grilling zucchini - making bread out of it....trying to give it away..it is so prolific.

Today is my last day of holidays - I have been off since the 12th. Unfortunately, i also took a holiday from any type of exercise/food monitoring - maybe i needed a break, or maybe i am just lazy.
Working to get back on track - i did my 1.8mile hike straight up (2830 stairs).
It was a great way to start the day.
I am planning out my food and exercise for the rest of the week.
Very scary how easy it is to fall off the wagon - but i won't dwell in it, just dust off and move on.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Allison - Like these? I remember seeing them in "Pretty In Pink".

I would totally take fresh veggies from anyone who could get them to me!

Busy day, more later.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Sznn, I posted a couple of good ways to use up zucchini here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/livi...ml#post2772104
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #12  

Shannon~no, they were much worse! The bottoms were plain blue, kind of navy an the top was a lighter blue or gray with dark blue pin stripes. There was no belt and it zipped up the front. There was no collar and it had short sleeves. The material was this gross polyester that tended to pill and snag pretty easily and didn't breathe much at all.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Ah the gym suit. I was NOT into exercise at all in senior public or high school and my general school uniform consisted of ragged jeans and various logo tees.

Our gym apparel was a bright blue cotton onesie, short sleeves, buttons (who designed this) down the front, and legs with elastics to make them balloon out (WHO designed these).

Needless to say I generally "lost" mine the first week of school and told them my family didn't have enough money to buy a replacement (much to my mother's shame and mortification when they called her). Then I creatively ripped and magic markered the new one.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh gosh, Dagmar, I had those bloomer bottomed ones in middle school - though it was then called Jr. High. In high school we had blue shorts and short-sleeved shirts of some ugly synthetic fabric. I hated gym. When I got to college I managed to take swimming for most of my required PE credits.

Oh, I have some extra zucchini as well if anyone cares to come get it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Facing a chilly, rainy day today - more like fall than summer. It saps my desire to get out even as I type this before the sun is out. By afternoon, when I'm scheduled to get to gym, I hope to have my moxie awakened. I've walked to the gym in pouring rain before - it's not a big deal. Goretex was invented for this.

We're harvesting an abundance of tomatoes right now; every tomato plant in our small community garden is a big producer this year. We are consuming as many as we possibly can and giving away tons. I prefer giving them away, of course, rather than rotting on my kitchen windowsill, but I cringe that we can't save them for those winter months when we'd die for a home grown tomato. I'm still working on accepting this seasons thing.
Bill, you can make spaghetti sauce with your excess tomatoes. It freezes well.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote