Hi everybody
Hi Susan! No sugar and no grains? Wow!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Still happy

On those less than happy days I am going to try to "relive" the "Cesar tickets" day. Everything went sooo well yesterday after I got that ticket - my mood was so elated that I ignored all the frustrating stuff.

Then, just to complete the day, my two pairs of "curvy fit" jeans from Eddie Bauer had arrived. They both fit perfectly.

TGIF! . And it'll be cool enough this morning to wear long pants .

I think I will probably be insufferably cheerful for the rest of this week/end.

have a great Friday all!

Dagmar (I really like this little smilie guy)
Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #48  
Workin' It

Glad you are having great days Dagmar!

Sorry it is so hot for some of you guys! It has been in the mid-80's here, which has felt positively cool after our high 90 & low 100 lately.

We closed one of our restaurants on Sunday so this week has been insane. Hope next week settles down.

Allison - I say go for the house. Seems like fate to me.

Marie - my kickboxing bag was the greatest thing I ever bought. It has gotten me through a lot of stressful times, and saved the lives of a number of folks around me I think.

Megan - I imagine a day in the cool would make a lot of difference! DH is teaching a training class in a room without AC right now and he is worn out when he comes home, and that is nothing like the heat you are in every day.

Michele - DD leaves for college Saturday, right? How are you doing?

I have long hair now - I had long hair most of my life, got it cut shorter and shorter over time until it was only a few inches long, decided it looked terrible with my face last year and have let it grow back out. It has a little wave in it, so I have to brush it out straight when I dry it. I can let it air dry, but then the little wave becomes disorganized curl. I did just get a new hairdryer - my hairdresser picked it up for me at a beauty supply place. It is super light, ion something or other, 2000 watts. It drys my collarbone length hair in 3-5 minutes. Love it.

to everyone I missed. Sorry I have been so in and out this week!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Dagmar, how cool! And at least you didn't say you were a member of the Justin Bieber fan club--couldn't have handled that.

Marie, I had to laugh at your description of "they come back stupid." A punching bag sounds like a great release. Smart DH!

Allison, no grains whatsoever? I may have missed something but why no grains? What's he considering a grain? I don't eat gluten anymore, but can still have stuff like quinoa and rice. And why no beans?

Hi, Susan! Stop in more often.

The flex spend people finally got the form my DH signed so they can talk to me. I guess the IRS mandated that rule in April. What I don't get is that I don't have to sign a form for my DH to talk about MY medical stuff with the flex spend people. Seems odd to me. They overpaid us by $588 and can't figure out why.

Discovered that my half-sister has lung cancer that's spread to her brain (or "head" she said). I found out via Facebook, which tells you how close we are. She didn't live with us growing up. Cigarettes are nasty things. I lost my mother and my uncle and now my half-sister. It's counterproductive, but I just had to send an e-mail to my son telling him that I didn't want to lose him, too. You know, I read a Dear Amy letter from a Mom saying that she didn't understand why she couldn't talk to her college-age daughter about the dangers of gaining weight, but people are advised to do so about using drugs, cigarettes, etc. I understand the dilemma and wondered why that is.

Have a wonderful Friday, everyone! Was 104 here yesterday, but only supposed to be 80 today. I like it.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sheila~my doctor last year had me buy a diet book, Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution, which talked about ancient humans being hunter/gatherers and that the advent of farming and raising grains to make breads and such is what causes humans to develop certain diseases. Forgive me, it was a year ago that I read it and I can't remember it all (and I'm functioning on a deficit of caffeine this morning...), Anyway, my doctor is concerned with my family history of heart disease and thinks I ought to follow this diet which basically cuts out all grains, all legumes and all sugar. After a while, it also cuts out all read meat and severely restricts chicken and fish to the point of only chicken or fish once or twice a week. While I don't have a problem cutting out meat (but I don't eat much fish), I just can't get my mind around the no grain thing. I tried it for 6 weeks last fall and it set me up for terrible cravings. And his idea of no grains includes rice and oatmeal.

Marie~the no sugar thing would have me checking all labels and not eating anything with sugars in it. I'd have to give up my daily Activia light! He didn't even want me to have artificial sweeteners. Yogurt itself is ok, but plain only or with real fruit mixed in. I could do this, however it would take some doing.

Hi Susan!! So you do the grain free diet? For how long? How do you like it?

Anyway, my appointment is next Wednesday and already I know he's going to chew me out for not losing the 10 pounds he wanted me to lose last year. He did want me to lose it so that running would be easier, but I'm not really running any more due to my knee, so I don't know what he'll say about that. At least I am getting regular exercise, but he'll probably tell me to do more. We'll see. I think part of my problem in getting back into the swing of dieting to lose is that I don't have enough motivation. I NEED to remember that next summer will be my 30th high school reunion and I want to go and I WANT to look good! All my facebook friends from high school still look good (well, some of them!) and I don't want to be in the fat crowd! That should be my motivation, but so far it isn't working. Any ideas anyone?

Dagmar~congrats on the great tickets!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon-- you have a good memory! Yes, my dd comes home tonight and leaves tomorrow morning for college. It will be a short and sweet visit. She is bringing her two friends with her and they are spending the night and leaving tomorrow too. My younger dd has invited her new boyfriend over as well so it should prove to be an interesting evening. I really hope to keep things upbeat with dd. We've always been so close but she has distanced herself from me lately. I think it's all tied to her weight but we don't talk about it. She has been calling dh during the summer but rarely me. I'm going to go up and visit her for parents' weekend in October and I really hope to spend some quality time with her then.

Allison-- I still think your doctor has unreasonable expectations for your weight. For your height you are at a healthy weight, correct? You will look great at your reunion even if you don't lose any more weight!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #52  

Michele~I'm 5'8" and the optimal weight range is between 133 and 147 (although I've seen that even 155 is okay--I guess it depends on the chart you're looking at). He wants me at 135. I'm more comfortable at 140-145. Let's just say I'm not exactly there, but not too far from it that I can't get there in a couple of months if I really worked at it. At around 150 I still look good but have the beginnings of "jiggly-ness" and at 155 I get a roll around my middle. Yeah, fighting that roll right now!

Ok, I just looked at several other charts. Optimal is 131-164, so I'm still within range. My BMI is 24 which is normal, not overweight. But I'm much happier at a lower weight around 140ish.

Last edited by alinnell; 08-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Michele~I'm 5'8" and the optimal weight range is between 133 and 147 (although I've seen that even 155 is okay--I guess it depends on the chart you're looking at). He wants me at 135. I'm more comfortable at 140-145. Let's just say I'm not exactly there, but not too far from it that I can't get there in a couple of months if I really worked at it. At around 150 I still look good but have the beginnings of "jiggly-ness" and at 155 I get a roll around my middle. Yeah, fighting that roll right now!

Ok, I just looked at several other charts. Optimal is 131-164, so I'm still within range. My BMI is 24 which is normal, not overweight. But I'm much happier at a lower weight around 140ish.
Is your doctor factoring in muscle tissue vs flab? Bone density? I weigh 135 and I look good but I'm 4 inches shorter than you are. My doctor thinks I'm in fabulous shape and he advised me to stay at 135 so I'm not hungry all the time. Maybe it's time for a new doctor

Dagmar
Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #54  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Sheila~my doctor last year had me buy a diet book, Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution, which talked about ancient humans being hunter/gatherers and that the advent of farming and raising grains to make breads and such is what causes humans to develop certain diseases. Forgive me, it was a year ago that I read it and I can't remember it all (and I'm functioning on a deficit of caffeine this morning...), Anyway, my doctor is concerned with my family history of heart disease and thinks I ought to follow this diet which basically cuts out all grains, all legumes and all sugar. After a while, it also cuts out all read meat and severely restricts chicken and fish to the point of only chicken or fish once or twice a week. While I don't have a problem cutting out meat (but I don't eat much fish), I just can't get my mind around the no grain thing. I tried it for 6 weeks last fall and it set me up for terrible cravings. And his idea of no grains includes rice and oatmeal.
Allison, I could not do this diet personally. Not only do I like whole grains and beans, but where, if you don't eat much chicken/fish or beans, do you get any protein? I realize that various eating plans differ in how much protein they feel a person needs, but some is necessary! And what is the slant on fat in this plan? You'd get a little from the fish, and if you ate nuts and avocado? Just my opinion, but it seems severely restrictive to me, and would personally set me up for a massive meltdown. And from my reading, hunter/gatherers ate meat, and didn't do much with dairy....

Dagmar - great job on scoring the ticket!! It's a great treat to look forward to.

After a week of we are back to the drizzle all day with a few heavier showers in between. The cats are pi$$ed. I've been feeling blah all day, but stirred myself to go to the library and the grocery store, and now have some raisin bread dough in the bread maker. DH's birthday was last Sat, and because he worked at the recycle center and they made him a cake (and only 2 pieces came home - I had NONE!) I got out of that, though I may still make him a small one. He's a big dessert eater. We're going out to dinner on Sunday, but to a place I know the menu and can be happy with my choices/calories.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #55  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon, isn’t it amazing how quick the new dryers are with long hair? You should post a picture. BTW, every time I went by the punching bag, I punched it, then I’d giggle. Silly, I know, but what a fun way to have a good day.

LOL Sheila on the J. Beiber fan club!!!! Really

Allison, I’m picturing your doctor with a stethoscope in one hand and a whip in the other. If I had a pushy doctor, I’d get more stubborn. So after the reduction in all the stuff on that diet, what did you eat??? And there is no way that you at 5’8” and 150 lbs are fat. What’s your BMI? OK, read further and learned you are quite a HEALTHY BMI. But I do get the feeling better at a lower weight.

Michele, early adult kids can make you walk a tightrope. I remember feeling that it didn’t matter how careful I was, I was the scapegoat for much of their angst.

Pat, I love “but to a place I know the menu” for your DH’s b-day celebration. I’d do the exact same thing.

This is a spinster with 4 doggies weekend for me. Home alone and I have the Bose system cranked. DH drove to Reno to help DD move into her new home. She’d closed on it last Friday and tomorrow she’s having a moving party with DH at center stage. I made him bring Aleve…
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 08-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #56  

Pat~I'm totally with you! I don't remember the slant on fat, but as I remember this diet was too restrictive. I'm more of the moderation type person.

Marie~he's not pushy, in fact he's one of the more respected doctors in the area and just recently gave up the OB portion of his practice in order to be more in tune with the older woman with cardiovascular disease, so I'm quite comfortable with him. But even within healthy weight and BMI, I'm not happy with my physique, perhaps if I exercised more....

Last edited by alinnell; 08-28-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling error!!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Allison ... since Feb or March and I love it! My innards are so much happier without grains and much dairy.

I eat a lot of eggs, meat, chicken, fish, vegetables and some fruit. Real natural foods. My go-to book is Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson although I've certainly tweaked a la Susan.

All in all, it's not too too different than when I ate lean proteins and things that grow.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #58  

Default yin and yang

So I've gone from jumping up and down with glee (Cesar tix, Cesar tix) to picking out something to wear to a funeral.

Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. The person who died was ill for a very long time and quite elderly and she was "ready to die" in her family's words.

Tuesday will be very sad for all who knew her but she is at peace after along struggle. We were not really close but I have spent every Christmas eve since I was born with her and her family. I know how strange that sounds but that's the reality.

DH and I have concert tickets tonite the celebrate his passing (we hope) the CMA exam. I feel really weird going out but I think she wouldn't mind. She was a person who really enjoyed life and lived it to the fullest for as long as she could.

I am not even thinking about eating, strangely enough. Maybe it will all hit me a bit more on Tuesday, the day of the funeral.

Dagmar
Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #59  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar, I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't believe knowing she was ready to pass makes it any easier to not feel a loss. It still hurts.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote