Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Dagmar, I agree about organic - it's scary, but I really don't know that it's possible to NOT consume chemicals. Of course I'm sure there's a lot less in organically grown food, but still.

Michele, I've heard WF's bakery is good... I'm doing well at avoiding it so far, don't want to start any new bad habits!

Thank goodness it's almost the weekend. BF promised me we could do something stress-relieving - not sure what that will be but I might get to pick. Of course we are on a limited budget so I don't think that a spa day is an option! =)

As much as I want the summer to be over, I don't. The research grant I'm currently working on runs out, so I'm only funded through August. Then I need to find a job for the fall - but I'm still hoping/planning to move back east in December or January, so I'm not looking for a "real" job. It's making me a little crazy.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

For those of you interested, here's a link to a you tube video of time lapsed photography of one of the homes we're currently working on. The first half is a picture a day of the front of the house, the second half is a picture a day of the back of the house. Hopefully they'll continue with the pictures until the house is complete--which won't be for months and months and months.

Gray Residence
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #63  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Marie

I'm on the BlackBerry and it's late but do I gather you've got shoulder/rotator cuff issues? Me too - mine L shoulder has a bit of inflammation. Anyway, I started a thread in Wt & Resistance Training as I know Meg, Mel, Lydia and others have suffered. Meg posted some extremely helpful exercises, etc. This was only about 10 days or a fortnight ago. Pat suffers too

Good luck. Sorry I can't give the link but I'm dropping.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
For those of you interested, here's a link to a you tube video of time lapsed photography of one of the homes we're currently working on. The first half is a picture a day of the front of the house, the second half is a picture a day of the back of the house. Hopefully they'll continue with the pictures until the house is complete--which won't be for months and months and months.

Gray Residence
I don't know where I got the idea but I thought you only did high end windows for homes. I didn't realize you were home builders too! It looks very grand.

Dagmar (weekend )
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #65  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Marie, I was in a hurry so I didn't complain about the zucchini, but if they still have it next time I go I will. Are you vacationing in Minnesota? Whereabouts? Have fun!

I'm trying to psych myself up for my second tri this Sunday. This is one I did last year so it's not as intimidating. I'm hoping for a pretty big improvement over last year's time since last year I got a stomach cramp and walked almost all of the run (47 mins for 5k).

I think I'm getting slower though. DH says it's because I didn't rest enough after my last race but I think it's because I rested too much. In the weeks leading up to my first race, I was pretty reliably able to run at a 12:00/mile pace without feeling wiped out. I went out for a run last night, only 30 mins, at what I felt was effort-wise the same as I had been doing for 12:00/mile a couple weeks ago, but when I logged the distance it turns out I was going 13:00/mile. Plus, my legs are sore today. Since when do my legs get sore from 30 minutes at a 13:00/mile pace? Hopefully I can pull out something faster than 13:00/mile at my tri on Sunday or I'll be pretty disappointed. I managed 12:40/mile at the one two weeks ago and that was a hilly course, this one is flat.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #66  
Workin' It

Jessica - good luck in the tri Sunday! Is it hotter there than the first tri? I've been noticing that the heat here has really slowed me down, even when I am well rested.

Allison - great vid!

Iris - hope you have a relaxing weekend, even on a budget!

Michele - glad that the weight is coming down.

Marie - DSS does still have food issues, that are getting worse over time rather than better. We are planning on packing lunch for him to school, figure it is the only way he will eat anything. I do hope that the peer pressure helps some, though. If he sees other kids eating the school lunch he might want to do it just to be like them.

Good weekend everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #67  

Oh lordy! Took Mudpie to the vet for a thyroid retest. No problem there but my male dumdum of a cat is now snarling and hissing at the "strange" cat I brought home.

I'm alone this weekend so he better smarten up. I want some peace and quiet and some relief from all the CMA stuff. I don't need a snarling, hissing cat. I think he will be spending some time outdoors, enjoying the lawn by himself .

On a more positive note I installed 1/2 the blinds in the back room this morning and they look fabulous !

I was kinda scared that I might have messed up the measurements or that I would mismeasure on the install.

Nope, everything looks terrific! My landlady will be so pleased . I'm sending pics when it's all done this afternoon.

Have a great Friday all!

Dagmar
Old 07-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #68  
Workin' It

Fantastic job on the blinds Dagmar! Woo hoo! I love being handy, don't you?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 AM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Fantastic job on the blinds Dagmar! Woo hoo! I love being handy, don't you?
I'm always pleased when DH and I do something ourselves. I'm kinda hoping to eventually buy this house so the things we're doing might well turn out to be work for our own future home. And our landlady is so thrilled with us that she lets me choose whatever I want in the way of colours etc.

Now if I can just get myself psyched up to get some painting done. Maybe next spring, give my office a fresh colour and get rid of some of the junk I've been accumulating for 5 years .

I am going to buy (I can hear you all laughing) freshly made "real" sushi (not from the grocery store deli) for the first time today and have it for dinner.

DH definitely doesn't like it and refuses to eat it. I think I'll like it. An experiment anyway.

I'm doing yoga now and then I'm off to visit some cats whose "mom" had her tonsils out yesterday. "Mom" should be coming home from the hospital this afternoon but I might have to go back if she's unable/too woozy still to feed the little guys.

Great Saturday all!

Dagmar
Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #70  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Allison, what a fantastic home! I am fascinated by the process of homebuilding and renovation. We renovated our kitchen a few years ago and I was in there every day poking my nose around and learning about how things work. It's incredible to me that many of us live in our homes every day with no idea of what goes on inside the walls and how it all works!

Jessica, good luck tomorrow! I keep saying I want to do a tri but a) I'm a lousy swimmer and b) I don't own a bike. Minor obstacles, I know.

On the organic... one reason I try to buy organic is not just to try to keep the pesticides out of my body, but to keep it out of the environment to begin with. The more that farmers see they can make a living by farming organically, the more will switch over to organic methods, and little by little, the amount of pesticides used will go down. That's the dream, anyway. I buy organic milk because the kids drink so much of it and I worry about the hormones. You read about how girls are getting their periods really early and all (not that anyone has proven a link). But I'm not really willing to pay more for lower quality (which organic sometimes is), so it's a balancing act.

Thursday I fell off the wagon in a big, ugly binge kind of way. It involved a lot of sugar and subsequent shakes and dizzies. Yuck. Yesterday I was spot-on plan and boy does that feel better! Today will be strictly on plan again, and then tomorrow I am going to allow for a piece of -- omg -- Coldstone ice cream cake at my DD's birthday party. Man, maybe I should have gone with a supermarket cake -- it would have been so much easier to resist!

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #71  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I miss "talking" to you every day! We still haven't gotten any oil and are keeping our fingers crossed - it looks like maybe we're just on the other side of the line, and now it's moving in the other direction. But that doesn't mean my work schedule is easing up yet. I've got to get to the gym for my whopping third whole visit of the week this morning. I'm mildly annoyed b/c I should be losing weight from all the sweating in the sun I do, but I've been giving in to stress and weird sleep schedule and eating more junk and drinking more cocktails on the weekends and haven't lost a pound! I also get insomnia some nights, and have really crazy dreams other nights.

Tonight BF and I are playing tourist in the neighboring town. For our 5 year anniversary (was actually a week ago) he got a suite at a hotel two towns over and we're able to walk to dinner, bars etc. Should be lots of fun.

Jessica, good luck on your tri!

Dagmar, I hope the cats behave and give you some peace and quiet. Enjoy the sushi! Mmm, I love it.

Allison, neat video! It looks like it will be a beautiful house. Glad the solar panels are helping with the bills!

Ok, off to the gym b/c it closes early Saturdays. I hope everyone is doing well!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #72  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Jessica, good luck in your 2nd tri. I hope you have fun and do great. We'll be in the western suburbs of Mpls. Our families live there so it's not like a fun-fun vacation.

Silver, thanks for the info. I will look at that thread. Mine is the right shoulder and I'm all for using exercises from PT and 3FC to give it time to recover.

Dagmar, too funny about your male cat.

OK, they just called boarding for the WAY delayed plane. Off I go. Chat with you all later.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #73  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning. After one dry-ish day we're back to cloudy and showery, after a night of hard rain. Sigh. The river that we cross to get to town is full and actually lapping over the parking lot under the bridge..... DH just put on his rain pants to go out and pick strawberries, as it's not actually raining at this moment.

Dagmar - I'm a novice sushi eater as well. A year or so ago I was at a conference with some friends who are avid sushi eaters, and I let them order stuff - OMG it was sooo good. I ate at that restaurant 3 times during the conference. DH is not interested beyond California rolls, so I've not had much opportunity to experiment more.

Same7 - we built our house so I have an excellent idea what's beind the walls, but it is fascinating isn't it. However, knowing what's there is making it hard for me to convince DH to turn our daylight basement laundry room into a half-bath! We have a full bath on the main floor and it's the only one in the house. We need at least a half-bath in order to be able to sell the house as a three bedroom. Our building codes require a bath on the same floor....

Have fun on your visit Marie!

And you Megan on your get-away!

Last edited by WaterRat; 07-31-2010 at 04:29 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #74  

Interesting how you can teach dogs to sleep in but cats . . .

. . .I was "purred" awake this morning waaay too early.

It was cool enough to turn off the A/C unit in the bedroom last night and to sleep without ear plugs (DH the main snorer is away this weekend). Too bad the cats felt like getting up at 5. They sat on either side of my head and purred their loudest until I woke up. I couldn't chastise them as I was giggling too hard. They are monkeys
and can co-operate and work together if the situation calls for it.

So I had my sushi dinner last night. It was good but the earth definitely didn't move. Without the wasabi and the pickled ginger it would have been really bland. I think I probably picked the sushi restaurant equivalent of McDonalds so I'll have to find a different place and try again.

Today is "return the old blinds to IKEA" day. I am going to try to avoid buying all sosrts of "cute" household things I really don't need. But it's such a fun store I have to look. Good thing the money from the blinds belongs to my landlady.

I also have to finish pruning and weeding the garden at my "other" house. My dad, who used to severely cut everything back and prune and weed etc. has now become too old to do it. He won't admit that, so I have to do everything while he's gone for the summer. I would dearly like to pull out and throw away some of the more overgrown things (which are all dead wood in the centre) but that will spark major arguments when he returns.

Wait a minute - that's why I'm going to Chicago 4 days after my dad gets back .

it's weird "cooking" for one. I'm so used to making dinner for DH and myself that I'm resorting to things like burgers and corn and salad while he's gone.

The first "official" weigh-in for August is tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll probably be at 133 again but that's good! Maintaining the same weight is better than the 5 lb. yo-yoing I've been doing.

Have a great Sunday all!

Dagmar
Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #75  

Thumbs up a small strange NSV

And another small NSV this morning.

It's funny how odd we must look to others sometimes. I stood in the food department of IKEA (strategically located right beside the exit) for a long, long time this morning.

With a big, big box of my favorite cookies in the whole world in my hands - thin crispy gingerbread .
I kept smelling them, and smelling them (discreetly I thought) and finally put them back.

I looked up and saw a woman standing about 4 feet away looking at me. I smiled and shrugged and left the store. I can't describe the expression on her face exactly but it kept me chuckling throughout the drive home.

Dagmar (inhaling those cookies still)